Too late for topping?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by jetdrawnz, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Hey guys, after opinions on wether on not to top or fim, don't know if I'm too late or not, and also wether or not to LST. Strain in Black D.O.G by HSO grows quite bushy as you can see haven't touched it! Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG][​IMG] Stem is so thick!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Too late is relative on when you plan on starting flower. Its too late if you plan on starting flower within the next week. If youre going to top wait at least 2 or 3 weeks before beginning flower.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sounds good. Should I be topping only once, and anything else? Or lst to let the lower branches get up? Thanks

4. Its really up to you. Are you pressed for space? Topping isnt always the solution. Your plant is looking really nice right now. Take a string or rope and tie it close to the top of the stem (not tight around the stem, kind of like a loop around it but with space for the stem to get thicker) and then pull it over and tape it to the side of your pot. This will bend the plant so the lower part will get more light and create more tops. If this doesnt make sense let me know and I will better explain if I can

5. That makes sense. I have 1.2x1.2m so plenty. Will veg as long as needed to fill it all up. Waiting on scrog net in the mail and will use it when it's needed also. Just wanting to get more heads and even it out flat using the net! Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sounds good. Just remember the plant will triple its height during the first 2 weeks of flowering! Also you shouldnt train much after the first 2 weeks of flowering.

Edit: No high stress training (cutting, supercropping etc) 2 weeks before flowering, and no LST 2 weeks after flowering

7. In your opinion how would I go about the girl, assuming infinite time and another 1.1m for the light to travel up. Tent is 90x90cm actually 3ftx3ft not 4x4! Thanks!

8. How old is she? When she turns around 4 or 5 weeks I would begin flowering.

9. Top how ever my you want in veg..

Top, LST then wait, then flip

10. I'll top later and lst, thanks guys

• Like Like x 1
  11. Topped! Stressing on how to go about lst as her fan leaves are so huge! Pics show claw I think due to too high ppm so brought down and should recover easily as it has happened earlier on. Where should I lst? Plant doesn't exactly pull over as her main stem is so strong! Thanks again fam![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Edit: should I top her lower down to allow light to Lower nodes that could be more manipulated by lst? In essence taking the plant backwards haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile apparently

12. You can do whatever you feel like. If the leaves are in the way, cut em off or don't worry about them. When you tie her down, she'll get situated in a matter of hours. I would probably not top too low, unless you feel like waiting for her to grow back. I wouldn't worry about lower nodes getting light bc as soon as you lst, they'll get light.

My Journal

• Like Like x 1
  13. And as to the question, "Where to lst?"...you need to bend her over. The top of the plant needs to be lower than other parts of the plant and it needs to stay like that for a week.

My Journal

• Like Like x 2
  14. Figured I better tie her down from two sides as she feels weak at her base, results! Too much? Centred her under the light to penetrate everywhere! [​IMG]

15. I'd almost argue that's it's not enough. You can train her into whatever shape you want. If you're happy then good. If not, you can bend her over 90° or so. Just be careful not to break her.

My Journal

16. No worries sounds good. Yeah didn't want to break her because of that thick stem, will try more after work!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Update pics, topping has gone well! Huge fan leaves I tell ya. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tied her down a bit tighter, want to get rid of a couple can leaves if I must to get more light down under as these fan leaves are so wide, worth it? Or just tie down some? Thanks again guys aka whack-a haha :) [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Edit: freaking out i topped too early and didn't tie down early enough to get more growth underneath, I guess a lesson for future grows!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Yea bro you're cool. Go ahead and remove them. Don't get too carried away but a couple/few will be fine to remove. You want the tops to have light.

My Journal

• Like Like x 1