Too Hot! Pics of my setup, help!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ChronJon, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Ok, so lately my plants haven't been growing worth a shit(Wilting and burnt leaves...). They're under 400 W MH right now, I have 3 fans in the room along with a cool mist humidifier. As you can see in the pictures I am growing in a decent sized closet, however I always have to leave a door open just to keep the temperature below 85 F. There has got to be a better way to set this up, so I'm gonna show you guys my setup, and hopefully you can come up with something better!

Note- this is a townhouse so any drilling for exhaust or intake cannot happen.

The door on the right is normally closed flat with the mylar.
    [​IMG]

This is a close up of the hurting plants, the humidity is normally up to 30% along with the temp. being down by a couple of degrees, I just got home and the humidifier was empty.

[​IMG]

This is just to get an idea of what I'm working with, from an outside prespective.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any input!

Oh yeah, I LST'd them once so far, that's the reason for the bendage.

2. Direct the fan stright on with the plants and it should be ok [your room temp might be high but the area around the plants will be cooler :D Also could remove the mylar or what ever its called and just paint the walls white so it doesnt trap as much heat in.

3. Which fan? I already have 2 pointing directly on the plants, the big white one right now is acting as my exhaust blowing the heat out.

4. #4 CFLGROWER, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008

The black one in the pic is not facing the plants/ also i made a hole in the top of my grow box to let the hot air what rises to the the top escape . When your flowering you will need to cover this up when its the dark period :D

5. What he said lol:hello:

6. They are about a month and a half old and they are THC bomb, ordered from marijuana-seeds.nl

7. Hmmm do you no that some plants grow 3 times there hight when flowering //just to let you no

8. Yes, but they haven't even branched out yet. I am looking for an o.k. yield, not just a couple of colas. Let me know if you guys think differently, but I think they have some time before going to 12-12.

9. is it out of the question to cut out a hole on the upper part of the closet and install an exhaust fan to draw out the heat????

10. i would recommend what he said get a computer fan and put it on the top of your box so it sucks air out should do the job

11. Also Are you using nutes. if not and dont no what any are go out and buy miracle grow but only use a quarter of what it says/ it is strong then after about 2 weeks on it increase it to half of what it says for full strenght -should notice the diff:cool:

Or you could just switch to cfl's cheeper can move closer and have good yeilds:p also no heat problems!!!

12. ...I am not going to take advice from someone telling me to go out and buy MG, sorry mate. I have done quite a bit of research on this whole growing thing, I have every aspect I can think of covered except this heat issue. And like I said, I spent the money for the MH, I'm gonna use it. :)

BTW, I use the fox farm trio, I know what nutes are and how to properly use them.

13. It looks like a sliding door, am I correct? If it is you could build a frame to put on the tracks that you could shut the door against. Put your intake at floor level and use a aircooled hood hooked up to exhaust at the top of the frame. Then cover everything except the intake/exhaust with plywood or something to block out light.

If you don't get what I'm saying I might be able to draw up something for you.

14. Yes, it is a sliding door. And no, I do not fully understand what you are saying, a picture would be totally helpful! Thanks in advance

15. from what i heard, the nutrients are ok, it's the actual soil you need to avoid at all costs. you might try some pc "slot" fans underneath the door, it will draw in fresh air and blow it on the inside. sorry to not be much help, but good luck in the future

16. Here's a drawing. Pretty much the idea is to put and intake fan at the bottom of the frame, maybe use some ducting to direct it where you want it, then to use an aircooled hood to pull the air from your grow area, and light. Hook up a fan and carbon scrubber to the top exhaust part.

Attached Files:

17. Cool idea, but with the frame it will be obvious the closet's in use for ... something. I also have sliding doors, and don't want to be obvious about air exchange. But I can, and will, cut a hole in the ceiling to vent via exhaust fan.

ChronJon, what were your plans for venting odors? Simplest is running air out of the closet through a carbon filter. It has to go somewhere, no?

18. I realize it isn't stealthy, but it is better than having a heat problem. It might be in a room that no one is allowed in, I don't know, but I still thought I'd throw the idea out there.

19. Yep, liked yer drawing, too... tho I got yer idea from just yer description. I'm gonna have the same issue here before long, so any other brainstorms, V2, bring em on! :D

20. #20 Version 2, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008
    I'm trying to think of things you could use to disguise it. Tyvek comes to mind, but would definitly look different from anything around it and noticeable if examined.

Edit: I went and clicked the picture of the door to bring up the larger view. Now I see they are the doors that fold in the middle. Since that's the case you'd have to actually make your ventilation part of the door. Hmm...

If you can't put holes in the wall, I don't really see an alternative other than to rebuild a section of the door. Maybe go down to home depot and see if you can find some doors that will fit your closet and see if you can find them with vents like you would see for a laundry closet. Then you can hook up your fans and it won't look out of the ordinary. But I don't know how common those would be.

If you end up having to cut holes in your door, you could cut them at the same height on 2 different doors and use a couple vent covers maybe? The doors would look odd, but if you did a good job you could make it look uniform and like the door came like that. That would help with stealth.

I'm stoned and brainstorming right now lol. I hope some of this is at least giving you ideas.