too hairy

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by curtiseflush, Aug 19, 2009.

1. i seem to have a systemic problem. loads and loads of pistils (hair) and not much flower(bud). i initially thought it was the result of not investing in quality genetics but even better genetics still have the characteristic of too much hair no flower.

overview- 400w hps on a 5'x5' area, 5 gal. bubble buckets, sensi grow (a+b) nutrients, no additives, no co2.

is too much hair only a symptom of inadequate lighting? :confused:

2. How may weeks into flowering are you?

3. How many weeks in flowering are you, and pic's would be nice. They start off as "hairy", then as the weeks of flowering progress they start filling in, calyxes start to swell, buds start to form, and harden, then cola's start to form from closely grouped bud sites.

4. this:wave:

5. #5 curtiseflush, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
    they stay hairy up until harvesting. i've let some girls go 11-12 or more weeks. much more than 70-80% of the hairs are red but it's just like a puffy, hairy whist. they are darn near like dandelion seed plants that blow away in the wind.

i've been researching harder than ever though and i think my problem boils down to 2 things:

1) most importantly i don't have enough light. my area is roughly 5'x5' and all i have is one 400w. (don't laugh. i'm learning as i go)

2) inferior nutrient schedule. i'm using sensi grow 2 part nutrients (veg and bloom versions) but no additives or supplements. (no disrespect to the brand, i'm just not really satisfied with it's results alone)

possible third thing is growing technique. right now i use 5 gal bubble buckets. i'm seriously considering ebb and flow.

i'm re-tooling everything....i'm hella disappointed! lol :(

6. Nothing wrong with 400watter or the BB's

Even grows in pc cabs under cfl's get good bud.
    I,m voteing its a f'd up genetic mutated strain.

7. They're not getting anywhere near enough light. I'm doing 600w in a 4x4 tent with only 4 buckets, and I can see light being an issue when they get bigger.

I'm going to counter the issue by LSTing them all so they only get about 16" max but very wide. That way I can keep my light close and get max coverage. Kinda like scrog but without the hassle of the screen, and more bud sites some say. Also no recovery time from topping/fimming since you dont cut it.

8. Halitzor
    have you seen this?
    Worthy of the read.

9. No I havent, reading it now. Thanks for the link.

I'm quite new (on my first grow right now), but I have been researching non-stop for two months now. Any more good stuff like this please Pm my way!:hello:

10. this is a c99 x deep chunk plant closing in on 7 weeks.

Attached Files:

11. The lights most likely aren't enough...how far away do you have them? the C99 lines are great, and the Chunk (Deep Chunk is Chunk x Chunk ^cubed) line is another good one. the genetics aren't the problem. We need to know every factor in the grow area such as area, heat, RH, size of light(s), size of containers. pretty much everything with good detail. But I believe that a single 400w light would need to be too far from the plants to cover that 5x5 space your using. Maybe if you had T5s, or tri-band LED stripes for side lighting, but just a single 400w? Also is it HPS, or MH? What is the light cycle at currently (12/12?)?

12. i knew a kid who grew some indoors that looked like that. it dried into small round nuggets that had the hairs wrapped around it. it looked cool and it was a good smoke. good luck