Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by RedSorcerer, Jun 28, 2008.

1. I have the 6 inch version of that fan. It works great. It is very quiet. I use it to pull air into my cabinet. I originally had it set up to cool my 400 watt HPS and it didnt do a good job so I had to upgrade to something else. Maybe the 8 inch would cool a 400 HPS. I have bought alot of items from HTG and they are great.

2. They just have no way of moving any static pressure like a real duct blower. So don't try and plumb them into ducting, no matter what the box calls them. I have two in my junk pile. It's just a prop in a tin can.

3. I'm a little confused. Will the fan still work to cool my 400W HPS? If it doesn't work with ducting, will it work as a standalone to circulate air?

But in addition to that, I don't understand why it would be any different than using any other fan like it with ducting.

Are there any fans at similar prices you would recommend?

4. HTG Supply sells good stuff. I'd buy that over any monster inline fan.

5. I buy from HTGSupply.com also... but there is a rule of thumb... If sounds too good to be true, IT IS!

That isn't an inline fan like a vortex, you can try it but don't be surprised when it doesn't work they way you think it does...

6. All I really need them to do is to cool my lights.
    If it moves air at 500 CFM, wouldn't it still move the air around my light enough to cool it down?

I just haven't seen any fan rated at 500CFM's for under 50 bucks.
    Seems pretty awesome.

7. CFM means nothing if your fan cant overcome static pressure. They have PC fans with the same CFM as my inline can-fan, but a PC fan cant pump air through ducting/pipe more then a foot or so. After a foot of ducting, the CFM drops 80% in most PC style fans. It will be tough to get a good fan that can cool a 400W lamp for less then $100 if you have to run ducting.

This type of fan will do a great job pumping air through several feet of ducting:
    [​IMG]

These types of fans are only good if you dont need to hook it to any ducting:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I tried cooling my 400W lamp with that POS Suncort. Did not work at all.

8. ^^ He hit the nail on the head with that one. The tin-can-fans aren't much use to grow boxes.

The inline fans are more like air pumps.

Those others can just circulate air .. I think you get it.

9. On my 400w I run on of those inlines pulling air away from the light and dumping it outside. BUT I also have to use a vortex to bring fresh air in. Without both my room would never stay below 80.

10. Thanks for clearing that up Rumple.
    Any recommendations for a particular inline fan model?

11. [​IMG]

Will this do the trick?

12. I love to find them on ebay and work the auctions.