Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by OldUR, Jul 4, 2020.

1. From Walmart. With the 10,000 Lumen claim, the 100W seems to be the actual amount.
    Is the 6500K any good? Flowering?

upload_2020-7-4_16-46-22.png
    upload_2020-7-4_16-47-19.png

2. You said it. Wouldn't bother.

Sent from my SM-G9650 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I looked at that light on the walmart website, and it does appear to be 100 true watts.
    If it is, that's a good price at about $0.50 per watt.
    Finding a good grow light for $1 per watt is difficult.
    But that is surprising, because "100 watt replacement" led lights are usually about 17 watts.
    A different Kelvin temp would be better (3500), but I'd guess you could cover a 3-4 sq ft area.

If price is an issue I'd try it. You could even add a cheap red light to get the spectrum to a lower Kelvin number.

4. This got me thinking. Is light like water? If you add a gallon of 50 degree water to a gallon of 100 degree water, you’ll get 2 gallons of 75 degree water. Does the volume equate to Watts and the degrees Fahrenheit equate Kelvin?

5. Not a bad idea as light does travel in waves, like water. However water is composed of a single element so when you combine two quantities at different temps, they'll equalize themselves once mixed. Light on the other hand is made up of many different wavelengths ('elements') that cannot interfere with each other the same way. To contrast with your example, if you put a 50w 3000K light in a room with a 50w 4000K, you wouldn't end up with a room of 3500K. Instead the room would have both color temperatures present with an increased concentration of their overlapping spectrum (mostly green light). I hope this helps explain but I must warn you, I have zero idea what I'm talking about. Am a noob grower.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Brilliant :)

Sent from my SM-G9650 using Tapatalk