Too good to be true? Amazing Amazon deal on CPF

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Stadashic, Aug 17, 2011.

1. 2x 105 watt 6500k Day Light Fluorescent Full Spectrum Bulb for $20.51

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FRCUHY]Amazon.com: 2 x Photo Studio Photography 105 Watt 6500K Day Light Fluorescent Full Spectrum Bulb, LimoStudio: Camera & Photo[/ame]

2. I'm not sure man. But I do know that I'm VERY interested in these. That's a really nice price. Thanks for posting it.

3. yeah no problem, I ordered one today so ill find out eventually.

4. There is a very negative rating on Amazon on a similar type bulb, but here is the thing: those large bulbs put out less than 50 LPW (lumens per watt) which is very inefficient. This means more heat and less light.

As a comparison, my 13W CFLS are putting out 69 LPW or 38% more efficient. The best I have seen is 72 LPW.

If you have great cooling and don't mind paying for more electricity they may be for you, but I think you can do better.

5. Dang thats a bummer, but are you saying larger CFL in general are less efficient than the smaller ones or just that brand?

6. Anything larger than 32W in general. Too much reflective losses inside the coil. Never buy a bulb where they don't give the lumen output. Divide the lumens by the watts. The higher the number the better. Get at least 60 LPW or better.

7. Okay thanks.
    unfortunately I already ordered them so they will have to do. But I will be using a bunch of 27w CFL for flowering. I just didn't have any bulbs for vegging.

8. True, that larger CFLs are less effeciant than smaller ones.

But, a single 100 watt bulb will reward you with greater penatration than several 30 watt bulbs, even if the bundle of smaller bulbs have more total wattage.

So your purchase may work out better than you think!

9. 'Penetration' is an unscientific term with no specific meaning.

10. #10 Stadashic, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2011
    I mean even If its not, it gets the point across and makes sense to me.

But thanks farm boy for the Info I do feel better about the purchase now. and thanks for your input too Swami.

11. The bulbs work great, They have been running 24/0 for the past 4 days and i have had no problems with them so far. They seem to have a solid build too.(As solid as a lightbulb can get). They are freaking Huge though.

12. Does the package say how many lumens per watt they are? I was thinking of getting the 45W (pack of 4 for $28 - , but I can't find the lumens listed anywhere. Thanks.
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Spectrum-Daylight-balanced-4_AGG117/dp/B0058KJMLU/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315090167&sr=1-7]Amazon.com: Digital Full Spectrum Light Bulb, 45W Photo CFL 6500K, Daylight balanced, pure white, Case of 4_AGG117: Electronics[/ame])

13. I forgot to ask another question -- is the ballast actually digital (not magnetic) as the title implies?

14. I'm sorry I don't really understand your question, I thought ballast's were for the HPS and other high wattage bulbs.

I plugged these straight into a light socket with an extension cord.

15. another question i can answer. Cfl's use the same basic technology as the longer strip tube lighting. the ballast is basically nothing more then a small coil, circut board, and a fan.

to answer your questions about ballasts is your train of thought is sort of correct. the amount of voltage to produce light is a lot higher then what your typical 120v/240v circut will provide. there fore you put that voltage through a small step up transfromer to get the correct voltage you need to produce the reaction inside of the tube.

the reason incandesant (regular light bulbs) do not need a ballast is they use induction to create its light. meaning it heats up a filament til its red hot, the vaccum inside of the lamp pulls the heat towards the glass and allows for light distribution.

i hope this better answers your questions.

16. All CFLs have a built-in ballast at the base of the bulb. This ballast uses some energy, and generates some heat to do its job (in addition to the energy used in the bulb). A digital ballast uses less energy and generates less heat. (Though I'm not sure how digital ballasts work.) But that's why I was wondering if these are really digital -- if they are they would be somewhat cooler than the CFLs with regular ballasts.

But mostly I'm wondering about their efficiency, ie the lumens per watt (LPW). It bugs me that I can't find the LPW anwhere.

17. I am glad I already took the time to answer this this quite clearly.

*mumbles "stoner's"...*

18. I didn't ignore your post because I'm a stoner; I ignored it because it isn't really accurate. It depends on the brand, and possibly the spectrum.
    Here are some examples:
    15W, 60 LPW: Energy Miser FE-IIS-15W-27K - 15 Watt - CFL - 60 W Equal - 2700K Warm White - 80 CRI - 60 Lumens per Watt - 15 Month Warranty | 1000Bulbs.com
    105W, 66 LPW: Eiko 81180 - 105 Watt - CFL - 420 W Equal - 5000K Full Spectrum - 82 CRI - 66 Lumens per Watt - 15 Month Warranty | 1000Bulbs.com
    42W, 67 LPW: TCP 28942-65 - 42 Watt - CFL - 150 W Equal - 6500K Full Spectrum Daylight - Min. Start Temp. - 20 Deg. - 82 CRI - 67 Lumens per Watt - 15 Month Warranty | 1000Bulbs.com

Another thing to consider is that the actual wattage consumed is more than the nominal wattage printed on the bulb because of the ballast. The more ballasts you have, the less efficient the whole set-up is. One ballast for one 100W bulb creates less heat than two ballasts for two 50W bulbs.

Personally I prefer the 42 - 45W bulbs because of their size, and anything in the neigborhood of 65 LPW is good enough for me.

19. what sort of sick enjoyment do you get from getting on a "stoner" website, trolling, and generally causing trouble.. not a single post you have put on this site so far that i have seen has not been in the least bit helpful... if you are so sick of "stoners" may i point the way towards the door sir.

20. Yes, lumens depends on spectrum as it measures the brightness to the human eye which centers around the green spectrum. Daylight bulbs and cool white have way more green than warm bulbs and therefore more lumens. Thus, higher lumens is not necessarily better. When comparing bulbs of different wattages or from different mfgs, always compare the ones with the same Kelvin rating to get a more accurate picture of the efficiency.