Too bushy? What should I do?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jibberjab, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Hello everyone! First time grower here.

This girl is 9 weeks old (from seed), flowering, but she's so fat and bushy - the bud sites aren't all getting enough light.

She's healthy and strong. I've defoliated carefully the lower and some obvious fan leaves that are doing no good (also laying on top of each other collecting moisture).

Looking at the main stem, it's really thick, and the branches just go everywhere. It's like a forest! (I'll do better with training next time).

Any advice on what I should do here? The buds are looking nice but not swollen yet... they've got a long way to go, I just want to make sure they have what they need to mature.

thanks!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. She's 70cm tall, and 75cm wide btw :)

3. That's awesome. Great bush. You could let nature take it's course. You could also carefully tie down and pull apart some of the branches. You don't really need to train it at this stage, but I'm suggesting that you can pull the bush apart so that there is more space in between.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. #4 Alnilam Ecrota, Nov 6, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Damn dude you should've read a little about how to manage a plant. This looks like it is a great strain and you should've cloned it but you also should have read a little cause it looks like youve done nothing but plant it and water it.

How far in to flower are you??

I see you said you Defoliated it lol and im gonna say removing 5 leaves is not considered defoliating. Get in there and cut those leaves off. I strip my leaves off except for the top set before i flip to flower then at day 20 of flower i go back in and i take off damn near all the fan leaves. Anything that has a stem gets removed. Then at day 40 of flower i go back in and i take the fan leaves off again. This will increase air flow to prevent mold and it makes the environment, like your humidity, much easier to control. Do you have any clue what the humidity gets up to in your garden at night or during the day??
    The plant doesnt look bad but it looks like it has a fuckin ton of potential for mold if you dont defoliate it and get a decent amount of air moving and control your RH. Shes a beast but needs more attention than shes getting as far as training and canopy management.
    Go to youtube and look up
    Cannabis defoliation for larger yields.
    Lollipopping cannabis plants.
    LST and cannabis tie downs
    Cannabis scrog
    What the environment should be
    Super cropping
    Flushing

Lol go to youtube and google and basically learn to garden cause honestly buddy, this fuckin forum is a trash fire. You're gonna get the worst fucking info on this forum and there are trolls out to intentionally fuck new gardeners up for reasons unknown. Be careful who you listen to and dont take things for fact from these dumbasses on here. Fact check everything with youtube and google. Youtube has a million decent full walk throughs that will do you much better than this garbage ass forum i promise.

If you need help you can pm me.
    Good luck, watch out for bored moron asshole trolls buddy. I promise they're lurking.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Thanks Pope :) She is a pretty little beast!

I have tried to seperate them a bit, but there isn't space. I've got her sister in the tent too (2x1). She's just as flat and wide. Both are pushing on each other and the walls. The tent is practically full.

While it looks nice, it's definitely impacting air flow and causing increased humidity. I've popped a little dehumidifer in htere, so I can run her at around 50% (although it jacks up the heat a bit... even more with all the leaves getting in the way)

She is showing no signs of trouble, apart from some of the leaves and buds that are pressed against the wall. They attract moisture and end up curling (and being removed).

I have removed some big fan leaves at the bottom (that were sitting on each other or just not getting light - to improve air circulation.

Apart from that you reckon I should just let them go? If they get so bushy up top that the lower parts arent seeing any light? or not getting airflow?

thanks again

6. Does your humidifier have any kind of light on it? Does the power strip have a light? If there is any kind of light coming off that dehumidifier or any power strips it needs covered with black tape or your plant will herm from the light.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. It is a pretty plant. Keep the air flow up. It can look beautiful while still being moldy. It starts from the inside and works its way out. If you ever see mold then the shit is waaaay out of control cause it has had time to work from inside thru the bud and then out

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. With two plants like that it really ups the ante for moisture problems. Lollipopping is something that you can try. We used to call it just cutting all the lower leaves off. Here's a how to on that and it's probably what I would do at this point: Lollipopping Cannabis: How to Do It Right! | Grow Weed Easy

What strain are you growing if you know? And, how did it get so bushy?

9. Thanks for your posts everyone, much appreciated! Yes this is my first time so I've made some mistakes. I was too worried about training the plant (bending things etc), so for the most part (apart from tying down some side branches) I didn't do much. Just made sure environment, water Ph, feed etc were all ok.

RH stays at 60% max all day now, but can spike to 80% overnight if I don't leave the dehumidifier on (which I do). So 60% or lower at all times (absolutely impossible without the dehumidifier - it's taking about 6L of water per day)

Temp is high twenties during the day, low 20s for her rest at night (just 4h - on 20/4).

Both are Gorilla Glue autos.

I took a lot of leaves of her sister about a week ago.. so she is less bushy now (could still shed a lot more and be healthy looking), but she seems to be stunted, so I don't wanna stress her out any more yet. Looking a little deflated and sags a bit. Poor girl. I think I just have to leave her / look after her and hope she comes good.

With autos, if you defoliate (or use another HST) and she gets stunted, will she basically pick up where she left off assuming her health comes back? or will be continue maturing, meaning they will be ripe before they've actually swollen up etc? (excuse my lack of knowledge!)

I have watched a lot of stuff online, there is some great content out there. Lots of tips and tricks which is awesome, but I couldn't find any info really for a plant that has this particular issue. I should have gotten onto it much earlier... but I know for next time at least :)

@anilam yes both dehumidifer and light strip have small red lights. both are covered. Also, I took about 40 leaves off at last defoliation - probably about 10-15% of what is there. Reckon I should have another go at em? Or let them recover now from the stress and just keep airflow up and humidity down, while they get back on track? Thanks for taking the time man - I really do appreciate it. Will watch out for trolls!

10. Or maybe I'll lollipop the sister who isn't looking so flash... see if she likes it? or should I wait?

11. Lollipop them and don’t look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Pretty remarkable for autos. I don't train my autos ever. I would lollipop. You are fighting on a few fronts here. Humidity which can cause mold -- it's a bitch. You don't want it. Heat on the other hand can also be pretty destructive. I have had bushy plants before and done nothing and results were fine. I also have had botrytis. I choose the least invasive measure generally, but I'm at the stage where I take all prophylactic measures necessary to avoid pest and mold.

13. Cool, thanks Pope. I'll get to lollipopping tomorrow.

Humidity and heat I can control (at the literal expense of my electricity bill). It's not ideal but it should help (hopefully) help avoid mould etc. At least until after I get the loll

Will post another pic tomorrow after I lollipop her. You'll be able to see the crazy insane mess of branches and stems inside. It's so thick, can barely see through even when you pull the leaves aside.

Also is it normal for the main stem to be massive? It really looks like a tree :)

14. Now for some encouragement: as a first time grower you grew the fuck out of those plants. No lockout problems, all healthy looking.

I've grown autos, no training, and they never looked like that. Any one of us might be having to deal with this with those genetics.

15. Thanks man :) I'm happy to see them big and healthy. I might not have done an ideal job, but I have learned a lot.

I just had a look at both, and basically every low branch has buds on em, although the low ones are pretty sparse. Do I sacrifice them? Otherwise nothing to remove during lollipop !

16. Those low hangers won't result in anything worthwhile anyways. Maybe some others can chime in on that, but I would take those off.

17. Yeah fair play. Just took another look and they are super whispy. not much too em at all (still pretty under a microscope though). It'll probably hurt me more than it does the plant when I cut them though :)

I assume they are worth retaining for edibles or something? or are they too young to have developed thc?

18. The tangle inside :)

Attached Files:

19. Ill clean her up and post an after photo.

20. Thats a crazy big fuckin auto sheeze. I never bother with autos cause they never get massive but fuck thats a big ass auto.

• Like Like x 1