Tomato cage support for plants in flower

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by organabis, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Im always running into trouble with buds falling over during flower, anyone have experience using tomato cages to support the plants branches? I'm thinking about building a scrog net to support them but its a bit too much work. Any advice appreciated.

2. A tomato cage will work but unless the plants are huge I prefer bamboo stakes. Much easier to put them exactly where you need them and you don't have to cut the plant out of a cage at the end.

3. I'm using bamboo stakes right now and its not really working. I would have to put a lot in there and tie up my branches to them, which I have done before. My plants are 4 feet tall and the side branches are so heavy it leans over or falls down. I just wanna make sure tomato cages work for tall bushy plants. I have seen some large tomato cages.

4. Yea they do work. What most people end up doing instead of buying cages is just getting a roll of chicken wire or fencing from the hardware store and make cages to fit whatever size they need. My neighbor grows 6' - 7' tall indoor plants and uses them to support his crop.

5. I've seen some use that concrete mesh stuff. Make a cylinder with it around the plant. I haven't yet and today I had to lay the plants on the ground because of the crazy wind storm that swept through this region.