Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Toll House Quik-n-Dirty

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Chubbylove, Oct 27, 2012.

1. #1 Chubbylove, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012
    Got some buds coming over tomorrow for football. I have a 2 hour window to make some party favors, so here goes. I bought a 32oz package of dough, so I figured about an oz of herb, grind it up in the bullet grinder. Decarb at 220 for 15 minutes. Mix everything together. I add a little extra brown sugar, oil, vanilla, & flour. Bake 10 minutes. 32grams of Trainwreck into 24 cookies, good times to be had.

Attached Files:

2. Looks delicious! Both the bud and the cookies! Enjoy the game tomorrow.

3. You just mixed the weed in? You just wasted an oz.

4. -probably going to be a bit gritty. You could have sautéed the weed in some coconut oil or butter and then strained out the organic material through a fine steel mesh coffee filter and it would give a better flavor and texture to the final product -plus bind more of the active THC and get you higher. It wouldn't have been that much extra work. Oh well. Enjoy!

5. Id be suprised if any thc gets absorbed, theres no fat to stick go

6. Cookies are the bomb. I've made canna oil & will make more. Firecrackers are cool, but a pita to make. I have made lots of these & wouldn't keep wasting good bud if it didn't work. They are not for lightweights. Done in under an hour, I have a stand mixer. Fry up a little bacon to kill any smell. Quick & dirty

7. In the "old days" before butter or oil enhancement were common, everybody did it Chubbylove's way without decarboxylation. The brownies were always great. It was made from fully dry pot so decarb wasn't necessary. He decarbed first here so there should be no problem. I never noticed any deficiencies in the brownies of yesteryear and in fact, you get the full effect of the marijuana if you use the ground bud because with butter or oil, you NEVER get everything out of it, by a long shot. :D

8. Well, that's true about in "the old days"...but those brownies from yesteryear always tasted like you were eating a clump of lawn that fell off the inside of a lawnmower, imo. With all that organic matter and chlorophyl from the leaves, it just didn't taste good. But, hey, whatever works for you is cool with me.

9. I don't know what you ate then, but the brownies I had were better than the gross butter tasting ones these days. If you make a good brownie, it's not noticeable. It was all Mexican, Columbian, Jamaican, Thai and it was all fully dried and there wasn't much chlorophyll left in that stuff, no leaves, just bud in those days unless you went out to the ditches and picked some wild weed. Even though we now have a lot more knowledge, not everything is better now than it was then.:)

10. Truuuuuuuu

11. granted not the most effective method of making edibles, but it will work.

he decarbed it and then mixed it in with the cookies, witch have a decent amount of fat to stick to in them.

12. Well, I grew up smoking the same strains (Mexican, Colombian, Panamanian, etc.) and in my experience, all that weed came across in bricks and was very leafy and seedy and had lots of stems. As far as the quality, I tend to agree with you. Those old landrace strains were the bomb!

I've had weed brownies that were made with raw weed (as you describe), but I like the ones made with the butter or coconut oil extract, better. I don't like the texture that using raw weed brings to the cookies, brownies, etc.

13. Where I was we didn't get too much of that brick stuff. The Columbian and other Central and South American pots came in bales that were all bud. The Mexican we got was Oaxacan, Acapulco Gold, Michoacan, and other baled pot. Brick weed was always laughed out of town. I guess I was lucky in where I lived and I made it a point to have the best available. Hell, it was only $300/lb or $25/oz. I bought brick weed once back then and threw it away. Now I won't even touch it. :D

14. #14 BadKittySmiles, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012
    History Time! :hello:

Contrary to popular belief, entire civilizations have known for thousands of years, that cannabis works best and with the least waste in potency (ie. most bang for your buck, and the most effect from the least amount of material) when infused with oils, and later on, alcohols.

We're taking pre-recorded history here, folks.... oil ain't new! :p

Just like good growers, and good sources of herb in the last few decades have been few and far between due to a lack of knowledge and information availability (the older folks, who remember regularly being offered fan leaves and males by people who quite honestly didn't know the difference, will know what I'm talking about!), so were the best oils and the information on how they were made.

That doesn't mean they didn't exist, or that they weren't, or aren't better than the lesser methods! Not by any logic, or stretch of the imagination.... oils are also 'the old ways'. ;)

And nowadays, just as newer growers are able to learn more and more about growing, and consumers are learning what to look for in a decent product, the information about quality edible oil is becoming more and more prevalent! :D

So it's not at all surprising that the quality of edibles has skyrocketed, while the amount of herb required to make them has dropped substantially.... the old rumors that you need to eat more than you'd smoke have been tossed out the window.... and coinciding with the explosion of information, we're also seeing better and better herb on the black market, more frequently, and less of the poorly tended schwag.

More people know better. :cool:

It's certainly not that good oils, and good bud, never existed... :p

It's more that up until now, we had to deal with SOOOO many old wives' tales and urban legends, when it came to growing and processing bud (and unfortunately as we see online on a day to day basis, although to a much lesser extent, we still are dealing with), that fewer people knew what to do in years past, and fewer people knew what they were even looking for when buying.

---

Over in India, they have been using not just butter, but clarified butter for the last 3,000 years -just that we know of-, to infuse their beverages and food with cannabis! :eek:

And some families and circles were and are better at it, than others....

They've been aging and over-drying their herb (decarboxylation), blending it with PURE milk fat rather than butter containing water, and then using everything from heat to MONTHS of aging, to produce the same effects that we slow-pokes are finally coming around to here these days!

Ancient civilizations used to allow edible crops to go to seed, dry them, then grind them with the seeds for their oil content, and age them with animal fats, and aromatic herbs and spices, before consumption, sometimes straining out the whole plant and other times using it as a salve or in foods for fiber. It was used for food, medicine, spiritual practices, and quite possibly recreational purposes (although those folks may have gone to less effort with the 'add-ons' than the ceremonial recipes we know more about :p ).

To be honest... it is almost embarrassing that it's taking us this long to come around, especially WITH the internet to help spread the knowledge! :eek: :p

---

From the dawn of cannabis use, right through to now, anyone 'in the know' has known very well, that making oil (and later on, alcohol based tinctures) is the way to go. :yay:

On a personal note, I deal with dozens, to sometimes hundreds of patients a year (not counting all those I speak to online!) and adding ground, even activated cannabis to a cookie dough or batter dilutes your oil, and does not allow enough time to form a bioavailable solution.

Most patients don't feel anything from firecrackers and similar toss-n'-bake recipes, even if they triple or more their usual dose requirement in an oil.

The rate of absorption for free floating glandular material, simply can not keep up with the reliable and rapid delivery of a bioavailable oil.

Even aside from all the potency that simply isn't absorbed, the rate/speed at which it hits your system plays a HUGE roll in the effects provided.

Just like people who smoke bongs, don't get nearly the same buzz even if they smoke more herb, over an extra few minutes, in a dry pipe (and just like hash users find it hard to go back to herb, even if they smoke more than needed), that fast delivery of a larger amount of cannabinoids, is responsible for the sensations they received, not just the total delivery.

Those extra few minutes it takes to complete the delivery, count.... and when digestion comes in, those extra minutes of delay can stretch into hours.

Absorption, delivery, and the onset of sensation can take up to five or six hours depending how inadequate the processing was (longer for some patients, in terms of digestion) when a solution has not been formed, and much of the absorption is so delayed, that it occurs in a less desirable location of the intestinal tract.... (too low for much portal vein/liver delivery, resulting is little to no D9THC to 11-OH-THC conversion, and a weaker, shorter-lived experience).

---

-YES- these methods and cutting corners can work for some people, but even for those people, it requires eating substantially more than would have been necessary with an oil.

If you're in a rush and if you understand the consequences like the OP, Chubbylove, and if you have plenty of herb to spare (and it won't put you in a position where you'll be left for a period of time without meds) then you can cut corners on your process, and compensate by over-eating if you choose to do so!

In ChubbyLove's situation, if it was about the best that he or she could do in the time given, then there's nothing wrong with it! [​IMG]

I've made plenty of quickie edibles in my time, myself, usually around harvest when I'm eager and I have the herb to spare, and my personal stash of edibles in freezer is empty or near to it! :)

I go into it knowing full well that I'll need to use three or four times the herb that I normally would for a similar sized batch (a few tips:), 1.) I still decarb/activate before doing anything else, and 2.) I make sure to coat and saturate the herb with the required amount of oil before mixing it with the recipe, then I'll dive in and get to baking. :D

(Even then with an increased dose, they generally don't do as much (or last as long) as I'd like, even with the usually-lower tolerance I'll have when resorting to cooking that way. And if my stomach has been bothering me for more than a few days in a row beforehand, I won't absorb any of it. :( I'm spoiled by oil :p )

But if feeling the most powerful sensations and absorbing the most potency, and if squeezing the most medicinal benefit from the least amount of herb, is important to you....

Make oil!!!

It takes virtually just as little effort on the makers part, the only real difference is that you have a longer pause between steps, and it's always fun to relax and pass the time with a bong while making oil. :D

What you have when you don't process in pure oil, for an adequate amount of time, are primarily free-floating cannabinoids... they are not part of a bioavailable solution, and a persistent coat of the solvent has not been formed around the individual chemical components, as seen below, when a proper oil is made.
    Lipids tent to create the most persistent coat, and as such, more patients seem to have success with oil based edibles than with any other solvent. :hello:

[​IMG]

Cannabis glandular material is notoriously difficult to absorb without that solution or external layer of oil.

At that stage, before the formation of a persistent outer layer of oil which your tissues can easily absorb, your cell walls will absorb and allow in a good deal of the cooking oil itself, while straining out a larger amount of your potency and passing it down the tract!!!!

Eating raw and active cannabis -with fat- does help by lubricating cell walls (this is presumably the connection that people made in ancient times, which led them to begin processing with oils... a connection that more people are FINALLY making in our neck of the woods!). But using your minds eye, picture how much easier, and how much more readily those little squeaky particles, could slip through, if they were ALSO slick rather than squeaky!

A persistent lipid coat, which enhances the bioavailability of a given chemical, or chemicals, is the very same principle that is used in everything from pharmaceuticals, to vitamins, to allow our blood streams to be delivered a greater chemical load from fewer ingested chemicals.

Heck, it's even used by clever chefs in cooking, and when making fragrant, herbal oils, to allow the flavors to penetrate your tongue with more ease!

It's why for instance, with vitamin C, you need to eat up to 25 TIMES!!! the amount of ascorbic acid, just to deliver the same chemical load to the blood stream, as a liposomally treated ascorbic acid.

- You take the SAME ascorbic acid (or in our case, cannabinoid ;) ). One has been treated liposomally, and one has not.

- In the case of ascorbic acid, you need to eat as much as 2,500mg of untreated material, in order to deliver JUST as much 'potency' to the blood stream, as only 125mg - 200mg liposomally treated material. :eek:

To clear up any confusion.... THAT is the kind of difference, that the experts are talking about, when they say it's a 'good idea' to make oil rather than add bud to a recipe!!! :cool:

Simply eating it with an oil, is no substitute for the coat that is formed when taking liposomally treated (also called LET, and 'metabolically enhanced') ascorbic acid, and all the array of other vitamins and pharmaceuticals which undergo similar treatments...

And the same goes for our cannabinoids. :)

---

Whoops! Sorry for the length of the post, guys... hopefully for anyone who was interested in learning the details, this helped clear things up! :D

I'm off to prepare for a Halloween gathering... enjoy the rest of your weekend, everyone! :wave::smoke:

15. I do have an abundance & my method is crude. Everyone loves my cookies. I have16 oz of coconut oil. I'll cook up a strong batch tomorrow using your recipe Kitty. I have made the regular dosage & strong. It creates odor problems for the strong dose stuff. I understand the science, but my results don't line up. I'll try this again.

Your bong comment doesn't make sense to me, I can get the most baked from huge rips. I had to quit because it clogged my lungs. Log vape into a icy bong is now my choice. Da Vinci if I'm mobile.

I started pot in the late 70s, I have smoked it all. Nothing compares to the bud these days. There are many I look back on with fondness. From the opiated Thai sticks & all the imported goodness from all over the world. Then the indoor pot showed up in the early eighties, UW & BC bud. There was always a good crop from Humbohlt that would make it's way up here. I quit for over a decade, but have learned more the last three years than all others about our beloved herb. Thanks largely to the folks here.