Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tolerance Break Questions

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by sopostmodernn, May 19, 2010.

1. Hey all!
    Well, I've reached that state where weed just isn't even 'worth it' anymore. I have pretty much smoked daily for about a year now, and usually multiple times a day (since the fall, about thrice a day). As you can guess, my tolerance is like I've never experienced before. Now, whenever I smoke (like, two bowls, a nice big tulip joint between four friends and myself, or even a blunt between four heads), it lasts for maybe an hour and I just get intensely burnt out. It's not even like I ever smoke regs, I usually either buy from or am smoked up by my friend who always has really good stuff. So clearly at this point smoking just isn't worth it, and a tolerance break has been long since overdue.

That being said, I would love any tips and advice any of y'all tokers may have to offer.

One of my biggest questions is how long should I try to abstain for? Unfortunately, most of the people that I have read about online haven't smoked nearly as long or frequently as I have. I have heard anything from a week or two to a month (and I am not sure if even a month would suffice in my case). What do y'all suggest?

Second, if I interrupt that break, does that completely negate any progress I have made? For example, the last time I smoked was this past Saturday, and I am going to have some friends from university visit me at some point after this coming weekend (but within that week). I'd really like to smoke, but if I do so, will that mean that the week will have done nothing? A few weeks ago I had to go to Florida for about three days, and when I came back, I smoked a blunt with two friends as was stoned as hell, so is it possible that that period would help at least a little? This is also kind of important to me because I plan on meeting up with a bunch of friends from university in early July, and I'd hate to continually have to 'start from scratch' because of these 'special occasions', so to speak.

Finally, I'd love to know if there is anything else I can do while I am on the break to help. I've heard of detox teas, cranberry juice, etc. Can anyone else verify this or suggest any other tips? And if I have stores of THC in my body fat, would increased exercise be beneficial? Granted I am an extremely skinny guy, but I am pretty ignorant about these things.

I really don't have any problem about the length of the break other than those visits, as I intend on working as much as possible this summer to save money for a trip next year anyways.

Thanks so much for any answers or tips y'all can provide!

2. Say y'all one more time! :p

But seriously, I smoke every day, and a week or two's break definitely brings my tolerance down. A month will do the trick for sure. :smoke:

3. i smoked everyday, multi times a day for about 3 years, then i took about a month break and VOILA! zero tolerance! now when i smoke, i get high very easily and it lasts much much longer without that tired/burnt out feeling when the high subsides. im not sure if there's an exact science to how long you have to wait for tolerance to go down, but like i said a month did the trick for me and i had been smoking daily for years.

good luck getting the high back!

4. Ya i smoke all day everyday and 2 weeks can be amazing, but a month will put you back down greatly...

5. if you want it to be like your first time i'd say you need to take about a month long break.

but if your looking to lower your tolerance a bit i say 2 weeks will be a difference

6. Yeah, I'm having a difficult time about how long I really am going to be able to do this.

So far, I haven't smoked since Saturday. So four days so far, WOO! :)rolleyes:)

Luckily I get to start work soon, which will make this a lot easier, but it really hasn't been all that hard at all (unless I actively think about it haha).

At this rate I feel pretty confident that I'll be able to have a pretty decent tolerance reduction by the time my friends visit next week :D (especially since that month ago I felt completely blazed after only three nights on break!).

Can anyone else verify the stuff about cranberry juice and exercise though? I've been running a lot more since I've come home (and while the tolerance thing isn't the reason, I'd love to know if it'll help).

7. Damn, I've quit since saturday also, but I'm thinking of ending it today...but then again, I was hoping to quit until Friday, at the least. By the way, cranberry juice and exercise has no effect whatsoever, in terms of lowering your tolerance. Those are essential if you want to pass a dt, but not for lowering your tolerance.

8. If you really want to, you can do it! (But then again, what's the harm?)

And thanks for clarifying!

9. Maybe you can try doing what i do?

I smoke at least 2 or 3 times daily for the past 2 and a half years. When i plan on taking a t-break, instead of completely stopping, ill limit my smoking to every other day for about a week and then on the next week ill only smoke on the weekends and the following week ill only smoke one day. Its like slowly stopping. Its much easier in my opinion to do that then to go from daily smoking to completely stopping.

10. Thanks for the great tip!

I'm probably going to stick to cold turkey til next week for that special two days. When I'm home it kind of is easier to quit anyways because I don't have many friends in my home town, I ended up losing most of my connects here, and I'm trying to save as much money as possible anyways (definitely going to use that once I go back to school).

For anyone else that is trying to take a tolerance break or whatever, I'd recommend wild dagga. I know a bunch of people here reject any other plants for being substitutes, but I used to smoke a joint of wild dagga flowers during lunch in school all the time and I really enjoyed it (and if you're smoking, a little wild dagga flowers or extract really makes weed awesome). Just a suggestion :D

11. the longest my tbreaks go are a week. the usual tbreak for me is a day or 2 but i have also noticed if you switch your strains up tbreaks become less necessary .

12. my highs don't even last an hour but last time i tried 2 weeks it wasnt that great, im going for a month now