Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tolerance break before Amsterdam?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Bonziamo, Feb 17, 2012.

1. I'm going to Amsterdam for a week on Monday, and I was thinking about staying completely sober this weekend, just so I can allow that first puff to really hit me in the face. I'd like to know if anyone else changed their smoking habits in preparation for a trip like this.

I've read a lot of warnings about the strength of the weed there, which is why I decided not to take a month-long tolerance break before I left; I don't want 1 joint to destroy me, and would rather be able to smoke and enjoy the herb without getting way too fucked up.

I've only been smoking for a year, and I'd say I'm kind of a lightweight, even in heavy smoking periods. Still, I have no idea what to expect of the Amsterdam bud. I've had my share of both good and bad stuff in both Europe and the US.

I had some alleged medical grade herb in Wisconsin/Minnesota last year, and some good herb in San Diego. The so-called "Headband" and "Birchwood" strains up north were incredible, and while I don't pay much attention to strain names, they were both good and grown near perfection. So compared to something like this, what can I expect from the high-grade stuff in dutch coffee-shops?

Oh and as for my tolerance right now, I've been smoking every day for a few weeks. After losing my one reliable contact in my hometown, I got a hold of a substantial amount of good, organic bud that I've been puffing on. Generally 0.5-1g a day of weed that's pretty dank by Norwegian standards, but doesn't really compare to the stuff I had in San Diego or the dark hash I used to get around here.

2. Before I left for Amsterdam I was smoking 1-2 oz a week easy. Don't do a t break, you will regret it.

3. Didin't they change the laws in Amsterdam so only citizens could purchase weed?

4. [quote name='"Dawq902"']Didin't they change the laws in Amsterdam so only citizens could purchase weed?[/quote]

Not yet, possibly in 2014 I think.

5. This gets addressed a lot, and what I know for sure is that as of right now, no such law has been implemented. However, they are apparently trying to get it passed, although it is highly unlikely that Amsterdam will enforce it.

6. I would keep smoking at the same way that way you get a better comparison.

7. dude dont stop your gonna wanna be able to hang with the best of um before you go.You dont want people out smoking you man...its amsterdam

8. I understand why you'd want to.. but it sort of depends, if you've got a high tolerance, and all you smoke is HIGH grade bud, then yeah, could be a good idea, but otherwise, it's not necessary, you're going to be smoking some dank ALL day long, so either way, you're going to be fucking baked

9. Hehe, I'm so stoked for this trip right now. You guys talked me out of wasting a perfectly good weekend. Thanks :bongin:

10. I live in The Netherlands and they do have the "weed pass" for one province but thats the farthest they've gotten. They try stuff like this every year and some people are saying this time is different, but I doubt they'll get anywhere, its not really something thats reversible in my opinion.

For example if they try the weed pass in my city, (which has already had 3 coffeeshops close because of a anti-weed mayor) then there won't be enough coffeeshops for everyone because one of the new rules is that only 2,000 people can be "member" of that coffeeshop. Well in my city theres more than 118,000 people and only 5 coffeeshops, which will only support 10,000 people.
    I know 100% for sure that more than 10,000 people smoke weed in my city, so you can see the problems/crime this is going to create.

I wouldn't take a T break if I were you, Dutch weed tends to be muy strong, doesn't matter how much weed you've been tokin :D :smoking:

Oh and check out the white widow and the Amnesia in amsterdam, if you have time come to rotterdam! :D its way less touristy and has some really good weed.:smoke:

11. Thanks for clarifying that. As for the less touristy stuff, I'll be visiting a friend in college a couple of hours from Amsterdam. She told me the name of her town at least three times, I keep forgetting..

12. np :) Ahh well yeah thats a good opportunity to see a different side of holland, most people I know who come to holland will just go do the touristy stuff lol, so I always try to encourage people that come to explore more :p

Hope you have a good time man ;)

13. Thanks. My friend's dad was from Holland, so he wants to see his father's hometown. And I haven't seen my Dutch friend in over a year, so we're meeting up in Amsterdam before staying with her for a few days.

I'm stoked, we get to see what's beyond the comfy coffee-shops of Amsterdam, and I'm sure we'll do plenty of touristy stuff too :smoke:

14. Don't expect much, if you smoke dank all the time you won't be impressed by their weed, it's basically just the same shit here but it has an exotic name slapped onto it to make it more appealing, and they're usually overpriced. And a lot of them aren't that potent because apparently the government has a THC limit or some bullshit.

I really don't see the point in going there if you smoke dank all the time where you are, it's not worth the money, I'd rather go travel to a cooler place.

And most shop owners are assholes who are there just to make money and they won't let you chill in the shop without buying a bunch of shit which is usually expensive.

It's just a tourist stoner marketing scheme, not much there at all other then the Cannabis Museum and Anne Frank house.

15. #15 Americandutchyz, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2012
    Yeah a lot of coffeeshops in Amsterdam are like this, but in other cities its simply not like that. (personal experience)

Not sure what your talking about, our weed is pretty damn potent compared to the US.. I mean I don't doubt that some of the goodies you get here you can get in the states too, but in holland you can legally smoke it, and its always great quality. Also, I know for sure that there are plenty of strains here that you can't get in the states, or anywhere else..:D

Plus honestly if your from a place where weeds illegal why would you sit in a coffeeshop all day when you can be out smoking on the streets, you can smoke sitting next to a cop if you want. I mean I understand why people like chillin in coffeeshops I like it too, but if its just a visit idk I'd want to be walking around.

16. Amsterdam weed doesn't get you stoned, gets you European high. Btw the white widow in the Netherlands is shitty, it's not real ww.

17. Glad you understand, I'm sure some shop owners are there for a better reason then making money but most of them that's their only reason for opening up a shop.

I live in the Okanagan in BC and it's like a rocky desert here and I always have dank because weed grows so well here, so I wouldn't be impressed at all with their weed, especially when 90% of what they have isn't even a strain is just has some name slapped onto it to make people buy it.

18. It was supposed to be in effect 1 January 2012 but luckily they're a bunch of procrastinators :D

19. Man, I honestly don't think it will make too much of a difference aha. You're going to get ripped as fuck already from all the dankity dank dank they got there, high tolerance or not, prepare for probably one of the best weeks of your life brah:smoke: