Toking in South-East Asia

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Cat Man Do, Jun 2, 2010.

1. #1 Cat Man Do, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010
    I've found the new Amsterdam. The stoner paradise of the world is none other than Cambodia!

A little nervous?

Don't be. This country is right next to Thailand but less popular with the tourist scene and less regulated:

My first day in Sihanoukville and my eyes widen in amazement - "Happy Pizza"? "Ecstatic Pizza"? Little weed leaves on restaurant signs? SURELY THIS CAN'T MEAN....

One hour later, after whipping on my bikini and heading to the beach, I'm sitting in one of the most comfortable lounge chairs imaginable. I'm so close to the ocean that I can dangle my feet in the waves. It's a balmy 32 degrees Celsius and I'm ordering a "Joint" off the restaurant's "Happy Menu". A menu that also includes happy pizza, happy springrolls, happy curry, happy tea, happy vodka, happy pancakes... This is the original Happy Meal!

A very cool waiter swings by with three of the most gorgeous looking things I have seen in the last month travelling, an ashtray, and a lighter. At first I'm not sure what to do. Is it ok to smoke these here? Should I go out for a swim? Should I take these back to my room? There's no way this is allowed! I glance covertly around. Most people are just sun-tanning with a drink but there are definately two or three groups of people who've sparked up. Alright, I figure if the police are coming, I'll smoke discreetly and they'll probably see the larger groups first. It's the same mentality I have with speedinging back home...

Two hours later and I'm on my fourth joint, still on the beach, blitzed out my my mind, and sitting with some ex-pats who are attempting to explain Cambodia to me.

Ex-pat 1: "The Cops don't care as long as you stick to the right areas."

Ex-pat 2: "They don't care at all!"

Ex-pat 1: "Most Bars and Restaurants pay out 5$ a month to the cops so they can sell stuff with weed in it or get away with smoking it."

Ex-pat 3: "This guy actually grows his own out back."

Ex-pat 2: "It's the Amsterdam of South-East Asia"

I ask them if they know a good place to get happy pizza and they reccomend "Happy Herb". It gets me and my friend so ripped that we spend the next 7 hours lieing on our beds and staring at the geckos on the ceiling.

That night, after dancing in some of the nearby clubs, and checking out the cinema (rentable rooms with a massive TV, torrented movie collection, and xbox), my friend lights up a joint on the street. All of a sudden a Cop's walking towards us and my friend (chivalrous as he is) pretends not to know me. I think, alight, at least we'll get off with one of us getting fined - we can split the cost.

The cop walks right up to my friend, and stares him down.

"Is it good?" He asks, completely deadpan.

"Ummm, maybeeee?" my friend replies.

The Cop laughs - LAUGHS - and walks away.

Unfortunately, I had to leave this pot-smoking paradise. But I wasn't done with Cambodia.
    I did a lot of touristy stuff, hung out with locals, and saw some temples. But I also occasionally combined that with:

Smoking weed in Phnom Pehn:
    Where our Tuk-tuk driver would sell and roll us joints to smoke, and where our guesthouse let us borrow their grinder and bong.

Smoking weed in Angkor Watt:
    STRONGEST weed food I've ever had. Me and my friend literally had to return to our room, turn off all the lights and just listen to music.

So please, if you like travel but you're afraid you're going to miss your BFF Mary Jane while you're abroad please consider Cambodia. You need to be quite adventurous - it can be a little rough around the edges sometimes, but the people are incredibly friendly, the prices are cheap, and the weed is... basically legal. At least until the cops realize they can extort people for smoking it. Then it'll be Laos. :p

2. So you been to school
    For a year or two
    And you know you've seen it all
    In daddy's car
    Thinkin' you'll go far
    Back east your type don't crawl

Play ethnicky jazz
    To parade your snazz
    On your five grand stereo
    Braggin' that you know
    How the ******s feel cold
    And the slums got so much soul

It's time to taste what you most fear
    Right Guard will not help you here
    Brace yourself, my dear…
    Brace yourself, my dear…

It's a holiday in Cambodia
    It's tough, kid, but it's life
    It's a holiday in Cambodia
    Don't forget to pack a wife

You're a star-belly sneech
    You suck like a leach
    You want everyone to act like you
    Kiss ass while you bitch
    So you can get rich
    But your boss gets richer off you

Well you'll work harder
    With a GUN in your back
    For a bowl of rice a day
    Slave for soldiers
    Till you starve
    Then your head is skewered on a stake

Now you can go where people are one
    Now you can go where they get things done
    What you need, my son…
    What you need, my son…

Is a holiday in Cambodia
    Where people dress in black
    A holiday in Cambodia
    Where you'll kiss ass or crack

Pol POT, Pol POT, Pol POT, Pol POT,
    Pol POT, Pol POT, Pol POT, Pol POT...

And it's a holiday in Cambodia
    Where you'll do what you're told
    A holiday in Cambodia
    Where the slums got so much soul

Pol POT!

3. ^ haha this dude just spit a whole verse from your story.

4. Haha love the Dead Kennedy's post, saw that coming.

I'm surprised no one else has commented, Cambodia sounds kind of sweet now! I've added it too my countries to visit list. Thanks for the post!

5. I'm Working on getting 10g's in my pocket, first.

6. lol Dead Kennedys bro

7. 10 gs? That would last you a whole year!

8. cant u get like ur hand chopped off there for weed?lol that sounds legit as fuck tho . i must go

9. try giving the local officers a nug, they will reward you with ceremony and feasts like no other.

they will shower you with flowers and give you money.

they will overflow the streets with jello.

they will command their leader to appoint you the position of chief.

they will show you the ways of the samurai.

they will not only give you their hats, but they will clean your pastrami

10. Damn, that place sounds bomb:). You should take pictures next time!

11. now my only question is why cant it be like this all over?

12. Heres a good video of that place.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDKGEWIfuIo]YouTube - Marijuana pizza[/ame]

13. ^nice video! i wanna go!^

14. Aghh man! me too, i love asia, and especially this area by the phillipines and what not, wanted to go over there and teach english and everything
    2 thumbs up

15. #15 Cat Man Do, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2010
    I have some pictures. There were more, but I don't want to post anything to incriminating.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Shiit i love places like that.

17. It's a holiday in cambodia...

18. It's just so ideal. Laying on the beach... working on your tan... smoking weed and eating happy food all day. You can rent motorbikes for 5$ a day and find your own private beach. There's great scuba and snorkeling, friendly people, and 50 cent draft.

Eff, I want to go back. It probably won't be the same in a couple of years though.

19. why's that?

20. Damn...I want to go to that place, how much for a ticket over there??