"token black guy"

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by HighHaze, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Well I know In my group of friends, we have a black dude and it wouldnt be the same without him. Hes got is own unique style and I dont think anyone really thinks anything along the lines of token black dude. . .hes just a really cool guy to be around and thats why hes our friend, and people are stoked to meet him/be in his company. The only people who are going to look down on you in that way are outsiders who are racists or are uneducated bigots, and those people dont matter. I live in california and people are a lot more. . .how do I say this nicely. . .accepting of people for who they are instead of what they are. But i know if you live in the south or the east. . .its a completely different story. You got a bunch of bigots runnin all over the place. I was in virginia a year ago and it felt like I was in a friggin timewarp, those people are some racists motherfuckers, for real.

2. I live in San Francisco - there's no such thing as 'color' here, if you're a native of at least. love that general Northern Cali mindset that we have:smoking:

3. i hang out with pretty diverse group of friends, im white, the others are mixed, puerto rican, indian and black. Race never really comes up because we have been friends for so long but we do make jokes once in a while to each other (no one is ever offended) but i can see where you are coming from. You just have to feel comfortable with who you are with, im sure if you just talk to your friends about it they will tell you that there is nothing to worry about.

4. qft

u seem like a chill dude highhaze, i woulnt worry about it, and ur from rockland so haha thats coo in my book

5. yeah man its all in your head. i can only imagine what its like because i am white, but i have grown up in a very diverse community. if you want to get out there and hang out with a different group because of your race, theres something bugging you. getting over your self concious thoughts is something that takes a long time, but in the end will make you 100x times happier about yourself, your friends, and your background. the more you put yourself out there by "going out" (say to parties?) the easier it will become.

i had a mild case of social anxiety, something that is similar to your case because i was afraid of people judging me for something (how i look, talk, sound etc). it took some time but i just had to realize that THIS is ME and no one can put me down for it. You have to get this into your head as fast as you can because the longer you wait the worse it gets. try to put yourself in stressful situations, and going out with your friends will come easy man. it will change your life, i know it has for me :D

6. those are your friends and you should always feel comfortable around them. cause im sure they feel comfortable around you too. i know the feeling of being stared at -- i used to date blacks and mexicans and the girls of their race would always be chickenheading around saying "oh why he with that asian girl or why he with her? bitches always trynna steal our men and shit" .. and it's kind of like STFU!!!! but you get used to it. and then you think.. why am i even caring about what others think of the first place? why should their opinion be considered above mine? and when you get to that point -- it's just like, fuck it. life is too short to be giving a fuck what others think.

and if you're token -- that's cool. i love him! :p
    just tell everyone to kiss your ass . randy to jesse jackson style.