Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tobacco vs Weed

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by The Audion, Apr 2, 2010.

1. We all know smoking cigarettes is dangerous and addictive. It causes lung cancer, COPD, lots of bad shit. But why is smoking tobacco and even smokeless tobacco so dangerous when compared to weed? I know there are many additives in cigs, but its mostly tobacco. People say weed is "just a plant" That may be true but by that same logic, tobacco is just a plant (nicotiana to be more exact) I heard somewhere that the soil tobacco is grown in is radioactive, so that probably contributes to it being more dangerous. But, is tobacco just more inherently dangerous than our beloved mary jane? See, the reason this shit bothers me so much is that people used to think cigarettes were fine, until we realized the mother fuckers kill you slowly. Are we going to find the same stuff out about weed someday?

2. Tobacco sucks..even smokers will tell. I smoke cigs, and I hate them bitches...I'm addicted though. Yeah, weed owns tobacco. In fact my plan is to one day get a shit load of weed...and lock myself in my room for a week while I quit cigs. I've tried several times...but too many people around me smoke, and when that smell hits me.....it's over with.

3. Actually I just bought a pack of Marlboro reds today, just on a whim. Gave me a fun little buzz. Nothing compared weed, obviously. I don't plan on being addicted.

4. Give me this or give me death!

Oh wait, that shit will kill me.

Fuck tobacco.

5. #5 Trevo4311, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2010
    Tobacco is so dangerous because nicotine is one of the most addictive (if not the most addictive) substance. A tobacco smoker smokes much much more tobacco than a stoner smokes weed. Most tobacco smokers smoke atleast a pack a day (the ones with health problems atleast), compared to maybe a gram of weed a day for a heavy weed smoker.

Also THC is a natural medicine, that helps cure and prevent many diseases, one of which being cancer.

"We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use," he said. "What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."

EDIT: Also, no weed will never kill you. If someone was going to die from it, it would have already happened in the last few thousand years its been used.

EDIT 2: Myth: Marijuana is More Damaging to the Lungs Than Tobacco. Marijuana smokers are at a high risk of developing lung cancer, bronchitis, and emphysema.

Fact: Moderate smoking of marijuana appears to pose minimal danger to the lungs. Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains a number of irritants and carcinogens. But marijuana users typically smoke much less often than tobacco smokers, and over time, inhale much less smoke. As a result, the risk of serious lung damage should be lower in marijuana smokers. There have been no reports of lung cancer related solely to marijuana, and in a large study presented to the American Thoracic Society in 2006, even heavy users of smoked marijuana were found not to have any increased risk of lung cancer. Unlike heavy tobacco smokers, heavy marijuana smokers exhibit no obstruction of the lung's small airway. That indicates that people will not develop emphysema from smoking marijuana.

6. dude you can smoke mj straight from the dirt, its way more natural than ciggarettes/tabbacco.

i dont smoke cigs but i dont mind a spliff or blunt with sum cigar tabbacco mixed in

7. It's not addictive, and it's not worth it. Well I started young to 'look cool' next thing I knew I was sitting in my room and bam it hit the carving..primal, and visceral I NEEDED a cigarette...it's been like that ever since.

8. i dont smoke cigs. i have smoked probably half a pack in my life and from my perspective they are evil. the smell never used to bother me but its nauseating to me now. weed is far greater then cigs.

9. no one plans on being addicted, i know i started out saying oh ill just get a pack and have a fun buzz but 2 years later and iv been smoking ever since. it is evil its expensive deadly and makes u smell like shit its like u might as well be smoking crack

10. Question:

You guys keep mentioning cigarettes, but what about just plain old tobacco? Is there even such thing as untampered unchemicalized tobacco to smoke? If there is the natural stuff, how bad is it really for the lungs?

11. Tobacco is just bad news after awhile you dont get a buzz...it tastes bad..its just inferior to weed....

12. Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the idea that pipe tobacco was less tampered with if at all.

I'm high as shit right now so I don't know if ... I don't know.

13. What I think is basically both weed and tobacco contain nasty chemicals that cause cancer, but since weed also has stuff that prevents cancer it balances out..

14. When i was younger bout 18 i used to smoke one with friends after smokin bud as it gets you higher some say but whenever i would id get sick to my stomach and feel like shitt no idea why still till this day 24 years old and still make me sick.

15. ive been smoking cigs for time (have quit now thank god!) and its disgusting. Started when i was 13 and now 20, and my lungs are destroyed. Been going strong for a few months now and my lungs love me for it haha all aspects of my life have changed (im studying fitness)

I use a vap and plan on making cannabutter etc so i can stop smoking it altogether.

But tobsccoo is fucking nasty, avoid that shit. its jus not worth it dude. Stick to mj, youll be glad haha take my advice

Take care

16. i think tobacco is okay if you have like natural american spirit in a pouch and roll your own then you know there are no chems and im not saying that makes them healthy but its less bad, anyway i think malboro cigs and all the rest taste nasty
    and i havent found baccy to be addictive i can just have 1 or 2 every now and then if its cold or w/e

17. you get cancer because the growers
    are spraying there tobacco crops with radioactive chemicals
    radium, and lead i think was it
    natural, reg tobacco, im sure is no where near anything like store bought
    i guarantee it actullly, ilive rite next to a old tobacco field

thats the reason why tobacco kills you
    and weed thrills you

18. If this point has been made already, then I'll delete this post after I have read the thread; I just don't want to forget what I have in mind. :smoke:

The soil weed is grown in my be radioactive, but that's not special. Lots of rocks and soil are radioactive. You know what else is radioactive? Bananas. Guess what else: human beings. Yes, human beings are radioactive. That said, I doubt the soil is affecting the weed in that way. We (and other living things) have adapted to our toxic environment and can withstand some natural radiation. In fact, only about 20% of people die from cancer.

I know for a fact that smoking weed can be dangerous to your health. The problem with cigarettes, though, is that people become so much more addicted and have to smoke a lot more. Even a habitual weed smoker probably doesn't inhale as many toxins in one day. But, over time, it does make a difference to your health. Make sure the benefits outweigh the costs for you.

19. not enough to even make a difference really..
    but even if a hab. weed smoker
    did fire up as much as a cig smoker
    theyr still not gonnna be more at risk of anyting
    besides, whatever bad smoke evffects, weed has
    its not gonna kill you.
    but cigs will. honestly
    do you ever wonder why the tax went up
    or why your pack now says FSC on the barcode
    thats the new fire safety control theyr putting on EVERY single cigarette
    so they go out if theyr not being hit
    thats not good for anyone
    ...i really hate saying this
    but i am a cagarette smoker
    : (
    i hate the damn things, but i cant kick em

20. looking back, i regretted smoking cigs =/ there nasty ass things.

I wish you all the best of luck in kicking the habit.

One thing i did was the good ol aversion therapy =) get an elastic band round ya wrist and evertime ya fancy a cig, draw it back as far as ya can and let it go. Tried and tested and helped me.

Soon enough ya jus dont want to smoke one haha