Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV) pics and info

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by joe_fresh, Jun 24, 2010.

1. It decreases yield for sure.

It also starts from the bottom of the plant and works it's way up slowly killing the plant, so the plant will respond by ripening the buds before their time. You think shorter flowering time is good right.... wrong.... it leaves less time for the plants to reach their maximum potential for THC and weight production.

An unhealthy plant is also more susceptible to other problems, mold, bugs, etc.

While smoking buds that have been infected with TMV isn't a problem, I would imagine they might not work as good for edibles. This is purely speculation based on the fact that tomatoes and cucumbers infected with TMV taste like soap.

2. Sooo, it does all 3 - lower potency, yield, and quality, and kills the plant on top of that... Why do none of these sites/quotes/links mention that? Although it helps to know how the virus works and how to combat it and all, but I'd at least like to know why I'm combating it... Thanks for answering:).

3. More info maybe can help..

got three strains going

Vanilla kush on the left, Kushberry on the right, Super Lemon Haze in the middle.

SLH I topped, as well as the other 2, all at the time same. the one in the middle is clearly infected with this virus, Has not infected the other 2, this is 20 days later as well, Both look extremely healthy, Middle one, SLH, Is looking HORRIBLE. might just put her out of her misery.

4. One question please: Can the hook-shaped leaf symptom be caused by anything else?

5. Anyone know if it can be spread to buds that have been harvested already?

6. A virus can only survive inside a living host. So harvested weed couldn't be affected I'd think. Tho I don't know if harvested weed would be able to pass the virus onto a living plant :confused:

7. I got hooked leaves from over fertilizing, and I've occasionally seen it just randomly appear in the odd leaf or 2, so I wouldn't call it a defining symptom of TMV...

8. The way I understand it the virus can survive for up to 50 years on dead plant material, which I imagine has to include dried and cured bud. So you could pass it from infected buds to a healthy plant, just like with cigarettes.

9. Hey, if you're smoking 50 year old buds I'd say the tobacco mosaic virus is the least of your worries :D

10. thanks for the info

11. I found an easy to use test for TMV and found out I don't have it!!!!!

Must be another problem but that's still great news. You can purchase them from Agdia.

12. Hi Joe many tx i think mine have it i am finishing some from greenhouse (sigh) fungus gnats - aphids :( but this information is excellent - when i'm finished with these i am cleaning room and starting afresh - its no good greenhouse/ outdoor because of all the pests even worse when you bring em in - because then the pests have no predators either - but this is invaluable i will be sterilising everything for my next grow :D :smoke:

13. [​IMG]

Hi all! I had a question, my seedling looks infected, I saw this post a few days ago, and was examining my seedling..

Tell me what you think?

14. [​IMG]

what do ya think? is she infected with TMV??

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      592.9 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      216.3 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      347.6 KB
      Views:
  15. I would say no, it looks like your soil is a little hot. What kinda soil are you using?

What are all of those white spots in the first picture?

16. #76 green.man.420, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011
    well I did give it a feeding of Roots Organics Buddha Grow, but I doubt I over fed because I have two of these plants same day and age and same feed cycle and its unharmed.

that would be per-lite. I'll post pictures of the two same age plants that were fed the same.

SAME PLANT - - - SAME AGE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      593.9 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      441.6 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      474.2 KB
      Views:
  17. ^^bumpitity bump^^ No one???

18. I am going to stick with a nutrient problem and not TMV.

You might want to post the pic in the sick plant section, you should get more replies.

19. Thanks to everyone for the interest and help.

Hi everyone.

What do these pics look like to everyone?

At 42 days from seed - ebb n flow hydro

As always any help is appreciated and welcomed and thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

20. OMG THIS IS THE EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS THAT I AM EXPERIENCING ACCEPT IN REVERSE....WAT EVER DISEASE I HAVE AFFECTS THE TOP OF THE PLANT AND ARMS FIRST...IT AFFECTS THE TOP BUD SITES AND WORKS ITS WAY DOWN INSTEAD OF UP LIKE YOU EXPLAINED DO HAVE YOU HEARD MY SENARIO.....

THIS IS A PREVIOUS THREAD I HAVE.............
    I need any information of "Verticillium wilt" i have been growing for awhile i know all the ususal suspects over watering, over nuit, deficiencies, heat stress...my plants leaves are curling... the top node sites are not producing hairs or resin further down the arm near the stalk the bud sites are normal and robust I have scowered the internet and have found only one suspect that fits "Furasium wilts" or "Verticullium wilts" has to be the culprate DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS FUNGI????