Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Toaster oven in cold causing impotent cannacaps?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by BakedApple, Feb 6, 2019.

1. hey everyone. So I recently made my 3rd batch of cannacaps but unfortunately they turned out extremely weak. I can’t figure out what went wrong. I live in Michigan and it’s only recently started getting really cold out. Before this past time - I decarbed my weed inside In my oven and didn’t have any issues.
    However - my wife hates how it stinks our house up so we purchased a toaster oven and I proceeded to decarb my most recent batch outside. needless to say I thought it was weird how my last batch of weed was a little darker than usual but played it off thinking maybe o was just a little stone and it was m eyes playing tricks. Unfortunately though I think maybe the toaster oven got a little too hot?

I didn’t use a stand-alone thermometer in the oven when decarbinf as I didn’t think it would be needed. Though after the last go round I’m thinking maybe my oven got way too hot trying to compensate fo the cold surrounding it? Is this possible? I’ve since purchased a standalone thermometer and am in the process of decarbing.

Has anyone noticed the cold playing a factor on oven temp accuracy? Could I have had the oven get too hot and it ruined my batch?

I am using a Hamilton beach toaster o en and a mainstays thermometer. I did just check a second ago and it was i the 260 range so I popped the door open and turned the oven off as I didn’t want to burn it again. Before starting my decarb I did ru the oven for about 30 and it seemed to maintain a steady temp.
    How hot can the oven get before it starts vaporizing the thc or reducing the potency? I know 240 is about where I want it

• Like Like x 1
  2. Your oven temperature may have not been accurate.. I've never used a thermometer when decarbing I guess the ovens the temperature I set it :confused_2::laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Same here. I usually don’t bother either, however when I made the last batch it was in to the single digits outside so I didn’t know if maybe the outside of the machine being very cold might cause the inside not to register correctly and thus run higher? Heck idk. I do have a thermometer today but it’s a cheap mainstays. Not sure how accurate this thing is. After turning my oven down for a few and then turning it back to 240 the thermometer isn’t registering the inside at 240.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Many ovens/toaster ovens have thermostats that vary wildly around the set temperature.
    Decarb is a pain that is difficult to do accurately with most ovens.
    This will ease the pain, and not stink up your house:
    https://ardentcannabis.com/products/nova-decarboxylator/

Ardent Lift is the same exact thing as Nova.

5. I’d tell my wife she can deal with a day of stink for me to get my meds n go ahead n use the oven. Compromise is good n a marriage in my opinion or I’d do it when I knew she wouldn’t be home so I didn’t hear any bitchin.

6. Bk, thanks. I’m now trying to figure out if my toaster oven is just drastically changing it’s temps or if it’s my oven therm. Hoping it’s the oven thermometer that’s off, but I’m dreading that it’s the actual oven itself. I just looked after pulling out my flower and the damn thing is up to 300 according to the thermometer so I bet I did burn the last batch. Damn but I guess it’s better to have I figured out now. Unfortunately that tool is a little pricey for me.

Gorilla, I hear you loud and clear. We actually have compromised. I agreed I wouldn’t smoke and she’s fine with me medicating with edibles. I tried decarbing while she’s gone for the day but it seems like the smell lingers for so long. It goes into the next day stinking like burnt bud. She’s not game or all that! Haha so we compromised again on a toaster oven. She’s great so I’m not
    Going to be greedy and start demanding more than she’s comfortable with. Besides - I don’t want people in my day to day knowing I’m a medical user. I’m all about discretion.

7. My toaster oven does not keep a constant temperature and it's not that old.It fluctuates wildly,used a thermometer to check,so I just use my oven.I am willing to bet that between using it outside with the ambient temperature causing fluctuations and the unit itself not holding firm at set temp that there was your problem.Just did 4 oz's in my oven yesterday and the smell was not as bad as it had been the previous batch but that was because of not getting the 2 containers sealed tight.Now it's legal and to heck with the smell.But I will still try to get the best seal I can,fans are on as well as an tower air cleaner with balcony door cracked open a hair.

• Like Like x 1
  8. If you can afford weed, you can afford a lyft.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. If it's really cold outside make a cardboard "House" to set over the toaster oven to limit the wild swings in internal temps.
    I do the same over my Alcohol recovery Still when reducing RSO when the wind is up as the electric burner can't keep the temps high enough with the large 3 gallon stainless steel pot exposed to the breeze.

Over temp in decarb can degrade some THC into CBD ( the sleeper compound ) but I've smoked a few loads badly and it didn't seen to matter all that much.

Now under temp will affect it as not all the THC-a gets activated resulting in a weak, short lasting high.

Early on I ran a pair of oven thermometers as I wasn't sure I could trust the first one. Both are within 3 degrees F of each other.
    [​IMG]
    Top before decarb. Bottom after.
    [​IMG]

Dueling toaster ovens.

[​IMG]
    Half gallon jars.
    Ready to wash into tincture and or reduction to RSO.

BNW

10. [​IMG]
    Recovery Still
    [​IMG]

Wind house over Still.

BNW

11. [​IMG]

Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads

Decarb 240 F for 40 minutes

5 grams Kief, Hash, Powdered buds, Wax, Shatter, Any concentrate.
    2.5 teaspoons Coconut oil. (Any Cooking oil works)
    1/2 teaspoon Lecithin (any kind)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze ( Softens the Canna bits for a nicer mouth feel if you let the caps melt or cook with the oil )
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes ( can skip if you didn't freeze )
    Done
    Fills 30 (0) capsules @ 150mg with Kief.
    50mg with good quality buds.

Thousands made and taken, Always hits like a ton of bricks but then I always use the best Kief I can shake from the buds I grow.

[​IMG]

BNW

12. At a bare minimum you need a cheap oven thermometer for $3-$5.
    Put it in the toaster oven until the temperature stabilizes, then decarb.
    It will matter whether you approach the desired temp from hotter or colder, and many toaster ovens don't have reproducible temperature settings.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Most ovens have a 10-20 or greater degree spread on their internal Thermostat So a setting of 240 F may see a peak of 255 and then it'll fall to say 230F before it kicks back on and cycles again.
    Open the door and the temp falls and the coils came on again.
    The setting used can make a difference as well. My newest one has a convection setting that has a circulating fan and that is what I use as it keeps the air in motion and I get fewer hot spots and blacked tips in places.

================================== From the web
    You'd be forgiven for thinking that 350 on the dial means 350 in the oven. ... The heat then surges the oven well past the desired temperature before shutting off again. A 350-degree residential oven is designed to stay between around 330 and 370 degrees—and that's if it's well-calibrated, which few ovens are.
    ================================== End.

Keep this in mind when decarbing.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  14. Do u wrap the weed in tin foil?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

15. Yes but just to cut down on the smell,and some people don't wrap,the choice is yours.Guaranteed that someone will say that you loose potency and terpenes by not wrapping and since I have done both and could not measure any difference in the effects I just do the wrap now for odour reasons.

16. More concerned about it burning. I double wrap too make sure

17. combustion point of 392°F and you decarb at 250 so not to worry but if you feel more comfortable wrapping then by all means do so,no harm no foul.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Well to be honest with. I have never tried to decarb without. Been making volume of butter and oil for over 10 years. When u wrap the weed still some moisture in it. Kinda like wrapping fish too cook in oven. I also do like 100grams at a time.

19. I just did 112 gr the other day in in my crock pot right now ready to be strained,along with 900 ml of VG/PG and 16 tsp of lecithin.Actually did twice that amount of decarbing and have the other half in a jar for another batch but with MCT oil.Also did another 4 oz's. a few months ago with olive oil.Funny thing is that I haven't touched anything since this past Monday.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I'm so glad you know my financial situation. Yes - I can afford it. But no, I won't. I don't feel like paying $210 for a device at this point. Maybe in the future.

BNW - thanks for responding. I actually use your method for making my caps. I had 3 successful ventures, it was only the last one (before yesterdays decarb) that turned out really badly. IDK if they are CBD heavy. Usually I would take 2 caps and be great, ive taken 10 of the "ruined batch" and feel mildy high but not sure on the sedative effects.
    Yesterday during my attempt at a new batch, I noticed the damn thermometer jumping to 300*. I didn't have my shake in there at that point fortunately but that would have been very annoying. During the decarb I did notice the temp go to 275 - which hopefully it wasn't at that temp long as I made it a point to check often. Yesterday was only 35* out and not windy so not sure if my toaster oven should've been fluctating like that thermometer says it was (a Mainstays oven thermometer from wally world). It's possible my toaster oven is crappy - its a Cuisinart (not hamilton beach as earlier stated) not sure exact model. The temps are on a knob that goes in increments of 50*.

I've never wrapped it in foil. How well does this help control the smell?
    The main problem for me doing the decarb indoors is that the smell LINGERS so damn long!
    I can decarb in the morning and it'll be stinking well into the next day. Of course can't open windows during winter - or at least choose not to - and I do run a wax melter incense whatever the hell its called. Just causes the house to smell of whatever scent and weed mixed together haha.

I don't like my house stinking that long as I may get unexpected guests and I don't let anyone know my business (other than the folks here).

Thanks everyone for your replies.