To what extent is the internet changing the nature of our social relationships?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Greenottz, May 4, 2013.

1. That's my question for my psychology essay due in in a week or too.

I've already started and stuff and i'm just going in the direction of weighing up the pros and cons, different aspects like proximity and how it changes our relationships.

Was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on this? Or any theories or thoughs?I'm always open to knew concepts when i'm doing essays so if anyone wants to chip in feel free. :)

peace :smoke:

2. The Internet is connecting us all. Billions of humans are adding to it daily and we can all learn from each other. People in china and North Korea can learn about capatalism and free society's. people in other countries around the world can learn about others culture. You can share the best ways and techniques to grow weed. You can learn some good cooking recipes others thought of where thousands of people can use. Many ways the Internet changes our relationships

3. #3 SheenTheSage, May 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2013
    I agree the internet is a great way to exchange ideas and information. It has its good points.

But I'd add that it's like a virtual cafe and library, not in the good way either. The amount of information available to read on the internet is overwhelming. People possessed of a vulgar curiosity are constantly getting themselves into financial and educational trouble by their addictions to wikipedia. They neglect school and work for play. The internet has just so many temptations and distractions that it's only natural for it corrupt us and distract us from our goals. It's sadly not just information either. Probably just as many if not more people are addicted to online video games as to online encyclopedias.

4. ^ I don't see how that's the internets fault. There's a lot of dumb people out there that can get distracted by meaningless things all the time. If it wasn't playgames or facebooking its something else

5. I don't completely agree. There weren't always so many distractions. People form a relationship with distractions...it's a two way street. Sure...if people were focused, they wouldn't get distracted as easily...but perhaps also if there were fewer distractions, people would be more focused.

It's like the argument that guns don't promote violence, because good people do not need laws to take their guns away, and violent people will use new weapons. I just don't believe it. Easy access to weapons is only going to make it easier to commit violence...just like easy access to distractions is only going to make lapses in concentration more natural.

6. It's fucking up our egos. "You wouldn't say that in real life" I think often.

I know the internet and movies have ruined my mind and are the driving force of my mental illnesses.

Although I do think the spread of information is a great thing.

But we all need to go outside and throw the ball around or something lol. You see little kids on their iphones these days. Whatever happened to go outside to "play". Kids can't be entertained by that anymore.

7. Well that isn't the argument for pro gun laws. If u want to debate that you could PM me I didn't want to dereail the thread but I see your point

8. Oh for sure. People need to turn off the electronics and do a little hiking or walking there dog more or so. But kids doing that is the parents fault. They need to lay down the law and make them. Exericise