to tranplant or not

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by budblower10, Jul 2, 2006.

1. heres my situation. i have some plants in 5 gallon Us buckets that were started june 12th (somewhat late). I live in NE Us. I want to put them in the ground to increase yeild and for security, but since they were started late, i dont know if it would be worth it. I dont like the idea of the buckets because they can be seen easily, even tho they are camoed. Which of the following choices should i do:

1. dig a hole and put the plants in the buckets in the hole and cover them to the brim, concealing their location (this is ok but why wouldnt i jus put them in the ground w/o the bucket?)
    2. Dig a hole and tranplant the plant into it, refilling it with potting soil (preferably this, but i dont know if all the extra work and soil $ is going to be worth the extra amout it yeilds)
    3. leave them like they are (rather not)

My main concern is security, but i also would like to get the best possible yeild i can, and i know that in the ground they can get bigger and yeild more, but how much would it really matter, espeacially cuz they are only a few inches now in june, how rootbount could they get? if i would get an extra 3 or so ounces of each one, then ill do whatever lol. thanks for the help, but i cant decide which option to choose.

2. I see no point at all in answer 1, burying them in a bucket? Why do that?

To get a bigger yield you definitely need bigger roots. You will probably be surprised just how bushy the roots are when you tip them out.

Transplant them into prepared holes, or transplant them into a bigger bucket, is my comment.

3. budblower10,

get a razor blade, cut the bottom of the buckets/pots....All you have to do is dig a hole 4 feet deep, make it as wide as the pot you have in now. Refill the hole with organic soil, buy 1 bag...if you need more soil just mike small rocks small tree branches and some regular dirt.

It is not to late, you should get 4-6 feet of tree (aprox. 1 pound in Decembrer, good luck!!!!!!

4. that sounds good, actually great but heres some questions i have:

1. when u cut the bottom of the bucket, how do u keep the soil in the bucket from pouring out..maybe im thinking to hard about this, but it seems that the soil would come out of the bucket when trying to remove the bottom

2. so i should dig the hole (do i make it as deep as the bucket) and put the bucket in? my bucket is only like 1 1/2 feet high (5 gallon), so if i make a 4' hole, wouldnt it be too big for the bucket? should the lip of the bucket stick out of the ground at all?

3. last 1, i guess u mean if i dont have enough dirt to fill in the rest of the hole (like on the sides and what now) simply take some regular dirt and things and fill in the sides?

This would allow the roots to penetrate more down, correct? givin me a bigger plant and more yeild...?

5. 1: when cutting the container, cut around the bottom as close to the bottom as possible. Then turn the whole plant on the side laying down, remove the part you just cut off. Do this very gently, when the bottom is exposed, just cover it with your hand and drop it in the new hole. Remember you want to this at the location when the hole is done. Try to do it near the new hole like set the plant a few inches away, cut the bottom trun it on the side, remove the bottom you just cut and drop it in. before you cut the bottom, water your plant with 1/4 gallon of water, wait 2 hours and then cut the bottom.

2. Once the hole is done, fill in with organic soil, don't dig just a small hole, you need to go down 4 feet, Roots grow about 6 feet down in 3 weeks, imagine in 3 months.
    So if you dig 4 feet, fill up the hole 3 feet with organic soil, then drop your plant in.

3. yes you need organic soil, if you run out do the best to mix regular dirt, but i would buy 2 bags

4. yes you should get a high yeild if you do this

6. thanks alot for ur help buddy. i think i might try this, do u think this is better then simply tranplanting the entire plant into the ground? i jus have to choose which one i do, i almost feel i could jus tranplant jus the plant, but i think that might need alot more potting soil. lol another question, when buying soil to fill in the whole, should i buy POTTING SOIL (like i have in the buckets now) or GARDEN SOIL? i would say the potting soil cuz it looks of better quality and also there wont be a change between the two types of soils, thanks alot.