To those of you on SSRI's...(Paxil, Zoloft, etc...)

Discussion in 'General' started by Easy-B, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Does it help guys? I just got prescribed Paxil today, because I don't know what else to do. My social anxiety has gotten so bad, I can't even explain. Of course, because of this, I've become extremely depressed, and life just seems so dull and emotionless right now. I'm really hoping that this will make a difference. I know they say it takes about a month to full kick in, but for you who take any of these: Do they help?

2. i recently got this anti depressant stuff called wellbutrin

when i first started on it when i blazed i would hella trip out tho... it was kinda fun. and it works for me by the way

3. haha yeah man, that happends to me, it is kinda fun
    they're starting to kinda work for me

4. I've been on most of the more common SSRIs over the years and can tell you two things:
    1. Depression is not an exact science, and it can take time and perseverance to get drug therapy right; you may find that this pill does not work, but another might. Don't lose heart, embrace each change as a positive step, and do wait for themto 'kick in' - like your GP said, a month, if not longer is not an uncommon length of time to have to wait.

It may help you to keep a diary during those first weeks, just a brief outline of each day, to make it easier to spot changes in your mood patterns over time and chart potential side effects and problems. Do be careful, also, during this intial response time to not use other drugs which may affect your mood, or go in for any radical changes in, say, your diet, which may also have an impact on your state of mind. It will be easier for yourself and you GP to note changes and reactions unhindered by other factors. Do your research on yur medication, too, and make sure it doesn't interact with anything else you might be taking; doctors don't always check this.

2. If your depression is chemical, as opposed to triggered by circumstances in your life, drugs alone cannot solve all your problems; a good talk therapist is also essential. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy can work wonders with depression, helpingy unravel the causality of your problems and teach you coping techniques etc.

I've been in and ut of the MH system for an age, and know depression pretty well, though I no longer suffer myself. Do feel free to PM me anytime with any questions, or if you just want to blow of some steam ;)

All the best
    LG

EDIT: In response to the posts above, Wellbutrin is not an SSRI antidepressant, it is a mood stabiliser; SSRI's do not pack a 'buzz' of any kind.

5. Thanks to everyone who has posted, I really appreciate it. Le, thank you for the kind words and inspiration. It's good to know there are others out there with my same problem. Hopefully mine can get fixed as yours seems to be.