To spectrum or not to spectrum. CFL worth adding?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mmmbongo, May 13, 2013.

1. Hey guys. I've got a some lovelies going under 600w hps and 400w hps. I've got a 300w CFL RED 2700K & BLUE 6400K.

Is it worth adding this to the flowering plants?

I added a bulb previously to boost flower and it was mainly blue (stupid mistake). The plant went mental and expanded, but with mostly foliage. It was so frustrating, but has taught me the power of the sprectrumzzz.

I don't want this to happen again, soo, is this bulb suitable to supplement flowering? It has a nice amount of red, but i'm worried the blue will cause problems again.
    You'd think some blue would be good for the little sugar leafs that pop up in the buds.

:)

2. It would be good to fill in a dark spot, yeah.

I didn't know about blue causing stretch in flower, I though it just added to trich production, and overall having more light is better.

3. I thought this but the blue bulb made this plant bizarre.
    Nice buds formed, added the light and all the buds were getting hidden by so much new leaf growth. The plant ended up being mostly leaf :(
    Perhaps it was because 1 half was closer to the cfl instead of the hps.

4. Wiki ya kelvins its worth it, blue cool white, 6500k = horizontal growth,......red bulb 2700k warm white = vertical growth,  use blue for veg and red for bud, ..........for best results

5. I ended up just upgrading my ballast to Lumii digital dimable eco and getting a new lumatek 600W bulb. The CFL is still doing well for veg, although the blue one has completely frazzled itself haha. It was the power plant bulb and reflector.