To Root? or Not to Root? Help!

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by big_rudy101, Mar 26, 2012.

1. I have a LG Optimus V. It has version 2.1

I dunno, came across the whole rooting thing.
    Could one of you guys give me a rundown on it?
    Pros and cons..

Is it worth it?

Any input would be cool.
    Thanks, :smoke:

2. You're running eclair still! yikes! Yes rooting is worth it. Basically, root gives you access to your phone you normally don't have access to. With root, you can flash 3rd party OS (roms) to your phone, underclock/overclock, undervolt, and have full access to customization as a result. Check out Droidforums.net for more information, there are tons of different ways to root, and they all vary from phone to phone. Plus, you wanna be sure of what you are doing before blindly following someone's advice here. Do the research, and you won't be disappointed. I would kill myself if I was running stock OS on my Droid 2.

3. Wow.. thanks, man. :hello:

4. No problem :) Happy rooting, be careful and be sure you know what you do before you try to flash anything. But definitely look into getting a gingerbread rom running ICS framework :) Galnet MIUI has a great one out now, gotta see for your device though what is best.

5. [quote name='"DrSheldonCooper"']

No problem :) Happy rooting, be careful and be sure you know what you do before you try to flash anything. But definitely look into getting a gingerbread rom running ICS framework :) Galnet MIUI has a great one out now, gotta see for your device though what is best.[/quote]

yup I'm running MIUI 2.3.9 on my Samsung GSII and I'm loving it. By far the best from I've used and I've flashed a ton since i got the phone

6. What exactly is flashing and all this crazy lingo?
    And how do you find these ROMs and stuff?
    ugh. I have some reading to do.

7. #7 TheDankDude, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
    For what its worth, this is how i find my roms

Emuparadise - N64 Playstation Dreamcast SNES Genesis NES MAME ROMs ISOs

its been working pretty good. I use the SNES and GBC ones specifically on my kindle fire.

Alhough i would defer to DreSheldonCooper in these matters :smoke:

Edit: Buritto root kindle, if that helps. i use SNESDRIOD and JOHNGBC to run them. works fine, saves where i am even when i just close it. both can be found in the android app market for free.

8. #8 cookiecrisp, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
    Flashing is the act of covering up your phone's native OS with a custom ROM. All custom ROMs are built upon base Android, and then customized to the liking of the developer.

The best place to find ROMs, kernels, modems, and lots of other fun stuff to do to your Android is Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers.

Find your phone, and the read through some of the threads before you even think about flashing or even rooting your phone. While it's highly unlikely something awful will go wrong, sometimes it does and you'll need to know how to bring your phone back to life. As far as I know, there are no Android phones on the market that you can hard-brick (completely ruin when flashing a new ROM), so you really have nothing to worry about.

Being that you have such an old phone, flashing a new ROM could help you out quite a bit. Being that you're running Eclair (2.1) you'd get a huge useability boost just by flashing a Froyo or Gingerbread ROM.

9. [quote name='"TheDankDude"']For what its worth, this is how i find my roms

its been working pretty good. I use the SNES and GBC ones specifically on my kindle fire.

Edit: Buritto root kindle, if that helps. i use SNESDRIOD and JOHNGBC to run them. works fine, saves where i am even when i just close it. both can be found in the android app market for free.[/quote]

Android roms, not emulator rooms :smoke:

10. My friend(tech geek) rooted his phone and he this like super power saving mode, and it gives his phone probably like atleast 200% better battery life.

11. They work on Android. I have them on my rooted kindle, as i said. Just Download the emulator from the android market.

12. lol. We're not talking about gaming roms though. The roms we are talking about are pieces of code you flash over your phone that overrides the current operating system on the phone. The rom you are talking about is a video game file that is played on an emulator.

13. D'oh. I'm just going to stay out of the Silicon Valley section of GC from now on :rolleyes:

14. I'm rooted lets put it this way I got a galaxy s1 with cyanogen mod with team whiskey rom. IV can clock my phone at 1.5ghz an run 70ish Fps. You lose most of.your bloat ware so your phone is not gelds up by useless crap an better battery life. The sky is the limit with rooting android. _

15. [quote name='"TheDankDude"']For what its worth, this is how i find my roms

Edit: Buritto root kindle, if that helps. i use SNESDRIOD and JOHNGBC to run them. works fine, saves where i am even when i just close it. both can be found in the android app market for free.[/quote]

Lol I found this really funny. Then I realized you were serious. Then I found it funnier

16. ME too bro im way lost