to much light?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ScubyNuby, Oct 10, 2011.

1. hypothetically if i had a a 3 foot by 2 by 2 foot box lined with aluminum with 4 40 watt cool 42" florescent that make up most of the roof of the box. then two 55 watt cfls(200 watt equivalent) shoved into either side
    the fluorescent are about 4 inches from plants and the cfls are about 2 inches
    kept at 78 degrees
    2- 55 Watt CFL
    4-40 Watt Fluorescent

2. considering that hypothetically only one out of six plants had even grown above the surface could i get away with just the two cfl

3. Bro I think that's ok, never look at the equivalent wattage.. Its the actual wattage that counts with cfl.And one more thing, I wouldn't recomend using aluminium as reflector material, mylar would be better and it isn't so costly if you wanna cover only 2x2x3.. My box is 2.5x2x3.11 and the mylar was cheap to fill my whole box, im running a 400w HPS with currently 4 plants (100w per plant). How many plants you planning on growing???
    (I would do two plants under 270w)

4. Aim at 100w per plants, so the two 55w cfl's is ample light for one plant.. What is the kelvin on the cfl's?? 2700k or 4000-6500k?

5. i was thinkin 2-3 plants and the cfl are saddly 2700k it was a rushed purchase. i plan on makin a run to a sick hydro grow shop any suggestion for new lights on a conservative budget

6. 2700k is fine for the flowering stage as its more on the red side of the spectrum, those two cfl's are good for flowering!! Buy another two (45w atleast) 4000-6500k for vegging.. 6500k being the best option for veg as it's on the blue side of the spectrum.. Then you should be good to go... 2-3 plants fine, just keep them in smaller pots then..
    Pro's aim at 100w per plant, but I personally think if its a mini SOG in smaller pots you could do 3-4.. 2 gal pots I would only do 2, but its up to you man. Goodluck:smoke:

7. thanks for the great info Ratch33, is it important to switch out the aluminum for Mylar asap? or will i prob be fine with just aluminum

8. swap that as soon as possible.. it will cook your plants.. u get alot of hot spots using that and also its not very reflective... even white paper will work in a pinch or paint it with flat white paint.. anything is better then what ur using now if u cant get mylar

9. almost right on... you won't get the hot spots, aluminum foil is not reflective as plain old white paper, so there's no way to get the hot spots

if you insist on using the foil, use the dull side, its more reflective, believe it or not

but kilz white paint for the win... super cheap five bucks for a can and a small can goes a long way

then panda, then mylar... diamond film....

but never foil

10. Get some plastic sheets (the one's painters use to cover the floors) from your local hardware or materials shop, they're normally black or white and cost effective OR use some cardbord and paint it white, as they said alluminium causes bud and leafburn which you dont want..
    PEACE

11. #11 CrackLemonade, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011
    I think the best reflector is Styrofoam, because its cheap (10$ for a 4ft X 8ft) and its rigid reflects as good as flat white paint. Also it helps insulate and its easy to keep clean.

Really the best is foylar but its hard to get and expensive.

Ratch33 Normally its watts per square foot not watts per plant. Cause you may have 4 plants with a half empty canopy then its not really 100watts per plant. Calculate your grow area square footage and then divide your lights watts by the square footage. Your at 80watts per square foot if your area is 5square feet @ 400 watts, which is great. 50w/sq-ft is the goal of most growers. Make sure you use all 5 sq-ft. Also where did you get cheap Mylar? I haven't found any great deals, I figure Styrofoam with Mylar glued on is the best.

Scubynuby your at 45 watts per sq-ft which is pretty good. Sometimes I run 100watts/sq-ft for 2 hours a day just to get some density. Normally I'm at 50 watts/sq-ft from a 1khps. So no your not at to much light, also sunlight is like hundreds or thousands of watts/sq-ft.

12. Ok if you say so, I would say 100w of light per plant, what does it matter if he's only going to grow 3-4 plants.. To me it doesnt matter how big his space is if he wanna grow 4 plants then 200w is minimum and 400w ideal so what if it's in a 10x10x10 room or a 3x3x3 box.. Im running 400w HPS in2x2.5x3.11, 4 plants and my temps are normal and girls are healthy.. ScubyNuby- just get another 2 45w 6500k cfl and your good!!!!!