To Mist Or Not To Mist...That is the question..

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by colafarmer, May 29, 2010.

1. #1 colafarmer, May 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
    Many say misting plants is not benificial. The facts are that studies have benn done on misting plants and when done properly are benificial to plants. Especially for nutrient deficiencies. You be the judge and decide wheather to "To mist, or not to mist"
    This is not my writings, but thought would benifit the community....Enjoy

Contrary to alot of what people believe about growing marijuana, plants need to be regulaly sprayed and/or misted. Plants do and will feed off of nutrients supplied to their leaves with a nutrient solution mixture.
    Foliar feeding can give your plants a quick boost for a bigger, better, and overall higher yeilding harvest. Foliar spraying will not replace your regular program of root feeding, but this technique will supply valuable supplementary nutrients to plants quickly and efficiently.
    Foliar feeding is a process of spraying the fertilizer directly onto the plants leaves. Foliar Feeding provides nutrients through the foliage, or leaves of a plant. Growers, with the help of scientists, and researchers, have been studying foliar feeding and have incorporated it into their growing programs for many years.
    Regular spraying helps to feed the plant through it "stomata", as well as feeding the plant with direct exposure to nutrients, regular spraying also help to keep these "stomata clean and open. Stomatas are the microscopic openings between two adjacent guard cells.
    Changes in the water content of the guard and subsidiary cells cause the stomatas to open and close in response to changes in water status of the plant.
    Marijuana plants carry on the process of photosynthesis by combining together several ingredients in their leaves. Some of these materials are gaseous (carbon dioxide), some are liquid (water), and one is energy (light). If one were to look at the anatomy of a leaf, it would be easy to see how these materials are brought to the leaf so that they can form the food.
    The "stomata" play an important role in allowing the gaseous materials to enter and leave the leaf. Think of a stomata as microscopic pores in your plant's skin. When a plant needs more carbon dioxide for photosynthesis, it opens its stomata. When the leaves get too hot and want to release water during transpiration, the plant once again uses its stomata, this time to let something out.
    There are many advantages to foliar feeding. Foliar applied fertilizers are three to five times more effective than root nutrition and can successfully reduce the nutritional stress situations of plants. Foliar applied nutrients can also make elements, such as iron, available to plants immediatly when they are not available, or in low amounts in your soil, water, or hydroponic nutrient solution.
    So then spraying is also useful in correcting plant deficiency problems, because of the very rapid absorption of plant nutrients through the leaves. Foliar spraying applications of fertilizer will provide almost instantaneous results.
    The best time to foliar spray is early in the morning for outdoor growers, and when the lights come on for indoor growers. This is the period when the stomatas are open. However, if the temperature is 80 degrees or above, the spray will have less of a effect, as alot of the stomatas are closed.
    Foliar feeding is extremley benificial to clones, seedlings, young plants, and all plants while in the vegative stage. Clones are not rooted so they need foliar feeding to develope roots, and prevent yellowing, a common problem amoung propogators (cloners).
    Once a Marijuana plant is put into flowering it is recommended that you elimanate foliar feeding for the remaining of its flowering stage. Marijuana when hot and dry secretes resin as its natural insulation from the elements. They secrete this resiney insulation to naturally keep the plant cool. If foliar feeding is used in the flowering stage, we bring down the temperature of the plants, thusly resin secretion is less.
    Foliar feeding should only be done in the vegative stage and ceased two weeks after flowering has began. Foliar feeding should also stop in the flowering stage as nutrients can and will stay on your floral clusters. Not a good thing to be smoking once dried a heavy nutrient infested marijuana.
    All fertilizers made for soil or either hydroponics make great foliar sprays, especially the fertilizers that contain trace elements (micro nutrients). Usually their mixed at half or reduced strength, to reduce the chances of fertilizer burn to leaves. A strongly mixed spray and close under high intensity or strong sunlight, can burn your leafs from light reflexion cause by the water droplets and/or common fertilizer burn.
    Foliar feeding is most efficiently achieved with mist-type sprayers. The smaller the particle size, the better the response and the less fertiliser is required to achieve the same end result.

A Overview
    - Use a fine misting spray bottle.
    - Mist or spray once a day, early in the day, or when the lights come on.
    - Mix root (nutrient) fertilizers half strength.
    - Spray the whole plant.
    - Foliar feed clones, seedlings, and vegative plants.
    - Cease foliar feeding two weeks into flowering.
    - Use a specifically designed foliar spray with trace elements made for foliar feeding.
    - Watch "em" Grow !

2. nice write up man + rep
    i mist mine with a sprayer early in the morning sometimes just cause i like the way it looks lol. but i do imagine it could only be helpful.

3. i mist because it makes me feel better. i think the plants also like it.:eek:

4. I like that...:cool:

5. I am totally trying a side by side comparison of Misted vs. Un-Misted in the same Indoor Grow.

6. I go unmisted. Foliar feeding leads to more nutrient burn than anything else for most growers. A good surfactant is also extremely important to foliar feeding and it's been left out of this post altogether.

7. I mist mine all the time like 4 times a day haha. I do it mainly because I'm paranoid about it drying up with the fan but, now that I know it is a good thing I'm gonna keep doing it.

8. Nah, never mist, found out the hard way. :rolleyes:

Your plants are absorbing water through their roots, not their leaves. :)

9. #9 iyland, May 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
    good thread whether you choose to mist or not. Unfortunately my schultz fertilizer states "not recommended for foliar feeding" =/ so they are just getting seaweed extract once or twice a day
    I'd +rep you too but can't yet. I would also space the write up out a little bit to make it easier on the eyes, and include recommended fertilizers for noobs if you're up to it.

10. If your going to say things like this why wouldn't you explain?

To those who are interested and still want to give it a try, this means add a half teaspoon per gallon of a pant based dish soap so the mist doesn't bead up on the leaves.

Hope this helps!:D

Great post OP! Thanks for the info!!! +rep

11. Really? "Plants need to be regulaly sprayed and/or misted"? They absolutely need it?

Wow, then I've been doing it all wrong for over 30 years. I don't do misting, so I must have killed hundreds of plants without even realizing it... :rolleyes:

Plants evolved roots to uptake nutrients and moisture, I'm sticking with that.