To harvest or not to harvest

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SmknVTEC, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Hi folks.
    Here are some PICS of my delicious girlfriends. The strain is Chronic and they are 7 weeks into flower. The site where I bought the seeds says that the flowering time for the strain is 56-63 days. A book that I have says that the flowering time is 8-9 weeks. Another site that sells seeds says they finish in 45 days. The pictures are a little deceiving in that I would say about 60%-70% of the hairs are brown. The plants also got a little more nitrogen deficient than I would have like them to. Also, I picked up a magnifying glass but, it only magnifies at 2x and can not see the tricholms. Let me know what you think and if I should harvest.

Attached Files:

2. They look great! And they look ready to pick to me. Here's another thread with pics that look about as far along as yours and some people are still saying to wait another couple weeks. Seems like you'd be losing potency. Personally, I like the "younger" up high than waiting too long, even if it means losing some weight. http://forum.grasscity.com/showthread.php?t=35523

3. For your plants, I think another week or 2 would only help. Another week should give you more of those pretty crystals we all like, and generally more potency.

Just please DONT HALF-ASS IT!

dry them well, and cure them for at least a good 3 weeks. You will be so happy with your end result.

4. they look ready for harvest....

5. They look pretty ripe to me... I would let them go for one more week( water w/ 0 nute water then let the buckets dry out) then I would say harvest... letting them dry the soil will flush most of nutes out and make drying time shorter! Peace

6. Hey thanks for the input guys. Over the last few days since PICS were taken, more hairs have turned brown; almost like the plant knows 8 weeks is coming up. Unfortunately, I have guests coming to the house next week so; I think I will have to harvest them this Sunday night. I cut a sample and smoked it today. I think they are pretty much ready. I was baked. Of course I have not smoked for a week so; my tolerance was probably down a little bit. Nonetheless after about 3 bong hits I was cooked for a few hours. I am still striving for that one hit Amsterdam shit so, next grow they will be less nitrogen deficient (hopefully) and closer to perfect.

7. These ones might be one hit wonders if you cure and dry them right...

8. That looks fucking D.A.N.K

But, the Cola doesnt look too fat, but the hairs look ok to me. As long as they're not white or bright yellow you should be fine,

now that I look at it, theres ALOT of white hairs. You gotta let that go a little longer man

9. Ha Ha They look good to me, I hope mine turn out decently.

what kind of light you have that under?

10. Light is 400 watt HPS. Your plants will be much bigger than mine Nexxus because you have much larger pots than me. I think I am using 2 gallon pots max.

11. 5 gallon pots at lowes for paint are 4.95, and you can usually cut a deal if you buy more, We got 10 for 33 something.

12. My own question about when to harvest is: Do you look for when the little white hairs (stamons?) turn orange/brown or do you look at the tricomes on the green buds at the base of the hairs, to see when they turn orange/brown?

13. most people look at the trichs. When they are clear, its more of an up/electric high. As they cloud they become more of a stoney/couchlock. Eventually they turn amber

me tinks you need a better magnifier.

14. Yeah. I think I am going to have break down and buy a microscope. Sidious told me to do that years ago. Anyway, here are some close ups of the Chronic at 8 weeks into flower. I would agree that there is probably about a week left but, I will most likely harvest tomorrow night. The high is still very good. Sorry about the PICS I can't get any closer than this even though I am using the Macro. First 3 pics are true light and the best to determine ripeness.

Attached Files:

15. wow. you did an amazing job

16. Thanks duder.
    That makes me feel good. The high makes me feel even better LoL. Based on how nitrogen deficient the plant got I though maybe this threat should have been under the topic sick plants. Anyway, I will take shots of the manicured product later.

17. HIGH All, nice grow SmknVTEC...I take my hat O.F.F.F. to you.

18. Oh my god. That's huge buddy. Thanks
    Unoit, I owe this grow to you, Sidious and 420 Shade. Thanks for all your years of help and guidance.

19. wow...nice looking buds, next time do us a favor and make a grow journal...never can have too many of em (esp. if thats the end result)