To grow organically or not to grow organically, that is the question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Macka Splaff, Feb 1, 2009.

1. i'm startin my first grow this year, i got a great location, good soil, and many other positives. But i don't know if i should make it organic or inorganic. could someone explain each of them and explain advantages and disadvantages of both.

Also could i cure my buds outside in a tent?

2. I really think it comes down to personal choice. With organics, people say the bud tastes better, and it causes no harm to the environment because you are fertilizing with natural substances. With inorganics, you are pumping up your plants with chemical fertilizers, which may leave a chemical taste in the bud, and potentially leach into the environment.

3. I am a dedicated organic grower. Just seems more natural somehow. A bag of horse shit is so much more appealing than a sterile box of chemicals!!

4. Disregarding the benefits to your health and the environment, the weed just tastes much better. The flavor from chemically grown herb is nasty and it is very difficult to totally flush it outdoors in the ground. All one has to do is take a little taste if that blue miracle gro water and you will know what I mean.

5. Agreed OldPork, a plate of horse shit is much tastier.

6. this thread just got strange, lol

in my opinion, any grower with a bit of common sense (and pride) would agree that organics are better...for the bud, for the ground, whatever, its just about the degree of difficulty. can you get, and use, quality organics easily? if not, you may be better with a little of both...i personally miracle-gro my plants two or three times while vegetating (about once a month) and they get huge, but this year im going to cut that back to once, and just mix organics in with my holes.

im kinda thinking about espoma/tomato plant food, it says its organic, and its just a bag of granules/dirt type shit......im thinking of mixing that in with the soil. im not really trying to handle a bunch of shit and blood, seeing as how im hauling everything to the spots myself, with no vehicle. would that work?

7. I don´t think you will get any organic grower to agree with that. Organic, through and through. If you use ANY chemicals you are NOT an organic grower. My 2c, anyway.

8. no, youre absolutely right cantharis, i kinda meant that I would be better suited doing both, as i elaborated upon. (i was lit last night hehe)

but as i elaborated, first, are you familiar with the granule-like, organic tomato food (espoma/whatever/etc)? could i mix it in with my holes effectively as a long-term nute source? and does it really affect taste if miracle grow is used in a half-or-quarter-dose once during veg? i think that if you give it at least a month or two before flowering starts, the soil will have sufficient time to use it all up or flush it, right? help me out here....maybe i shouldnt use that damn blue powder at all???

9. GO ORGANIC!!

You can get ample amounts of nutrients from natural composts, it is much cheaper, environmentally safe, and you can customize your mulch bin with different ingredients for different uses. It's pretty dam easy to make too. Just make a big pile of yard debris and horse manure, let it bake in the sun for a day or two, and you're set.

I never saw any upsides to chemical nutes. They leak into the water systems and make your crops taste like shit. That, and you gotta pay money for em. Shit, I've had people PAY me to take yard debris off their hands, and if you're lucky, a local farm will let you take horse shit right out of the fields.

Bob would go organic bro.

10. My personal experience from smoking a lot of bud is that anything that was grown with chemicals causes my throat to burn when I smoke it, organically grown bud just is better tasting, no harshness, smooth, rich flavors. I'm going organic for my first grow, we need to protect our environment and our lungs. Give back to the Earth, it's given so much to us.

11. Organic for sure. i use bone meal,fish enulsions and greensand with a varios assortment of micro nutes and so far it has worked really well for me.

12. Yes, I have a compost heap, which also goes into my soil mix. (But to make good garden compost takes a lot more than a day or two.) I also add rotted horse manure and wormcasts for nutrition, and sand and grit for drainage, with eggshells for organic lime.

13. HAHAH oh my god, i love you guys.

stick to organic. it might be a little pricey but the bud tastes better and grows better.

14. Plus a big advantage is that organics with all the micro-organisms retain water better and aerate better (less weight on roots), so organics give a better water/air ratio. So it means less watering outdoors. The micro organisms make little webs that hold water and air out the soil.
    Although great, you don't need a compost heap to grow organically. Just manures, meals, worm castings, teas. Compost has a very rich content (humic acids, micro org. who do mycorrhyzza...). But a lot of these will be in your manures and meals. Just buy a bit of compost and add it. Well, my 2c if someone doesn't have a yard.
    And yes, you can use Epsoma (Oldskool does!!!). It's all organic. It means yoiu don't have to do teas (or as much), just plain water. Use it on top layer. See Oldskool. It's all organic so no need to "flush" the excess chemicals and salts. You need some manures in there though (for micro organisms to break up the epsoma if I'm correct).
    It's all organic for me!

15. its been sometime since I grew organic got away from using it while messing around with different grows thru the years. Im not one to say non organics taste like complete shit...although organic does have a better taste in general in my experence. I am in the middle of making a switch back to my roots and getting the organic feeling again. Bottom line if your growing for yourself, why not make it the best it can be(remember quality over quanity).

but I defer to the more exper. Organic growers here.

PS: if your looking for a good book on organic growing...more geared on the soil. Its called "Teaming with microbes" lots of good info on what makes the soil come alive with the goodness we all want.

16. Yeah, I guess I was exajerating about the one or two days.

But how is organic more pricier?

17. yeah Ive never understood why people say it costs more to grow organicly...but I guess that would depend on what chems your using and what organics you use as far as price difference. I just picked up some guano/wormcastings/promix/perlite a few other items for my organic grow coming up and it cost about the same or a little less than when I bought my previous non organic nutes and supplies. Prob safe to say the cost is what you make it.

18. #19 Jamrocknw89, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2009
    It's more expensive to buy organic produce and such because Chemically fertilized foods are basically on steriods and are easier to mass produce. The price increase doesn't really pertain to weed. I guess if you go buy organics from a store it might be more expensive but I've gotten away with good crops with the composts I make for free. But I am serious about getting paid for the whole yard debris. Just ask around your neighborhood for anyone who has that stuff and usually they will offer to pay you for its removal.

19. basically for organics it costs more because you have lower concentrations...like 1-0-0 for worm castings, or 1-2-1 for kelp extract compared to a 20-20-20 chemical fert that you dilute at 1/4 strength.

i think its worth the money though, plus its good for the environment and its natural...just the way it should be.