Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

To grind or not to grind? That is the question.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Silent_Smoker, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Here's a question that's been on my mind for a while. If you wanted to could you pre-grind your whole stash so you don't have to grind every time you want to smoke? Or does it stay fresher while budded? I store my weed with ziploc baggies inside a glass jar with an air tight seal. I ask because I usually don't buy less than an ounce and figured I could save time with this method.

Any thoughts?:confused:

2. Yea, it will dry out and get to powdery if you grind it all up at once, but good thought.

Though, when you go to your next concert that your going to smoke at..grind it all up and bring a chillum, works perfeclty: just scoop->roast->high

3. That's what I feared. I definitely appreciate the input. :D

4. I always grind my bud right before I toke, and my rule is I smoke what I grind in that sitting. But yeah unless you have a vacuum container then it will eventually get funky.

5. i use the same method as you do and I have experienced no decrease in freshness. Usually my stash is depleated within a week though.

personally for me, i prefer only to grind up what i need for the day in my grinder. i usually grind around the afternoon. i like to see my weed in its beautiful bud form, especially if its good dank

6. i grind everything at once, store in a mason jar, cool dark spot.

everything seems fine

7. I used to like to grind all my weed at once so I could make keif hash but I feel like it decreases in potency when left ground up don't know whether it's a fact but it's just from my experience.

8. To collect keif, or not to collect keif? That is the question.

9. Whenever I smoke I break up enough for me to smoke again and stash it in a little bottle. Helps save a little time.

10. I'm thinking you should wait to grind it. Just keep doin it how your doin it. Thats what i do.:smoking:

11. I grind it everytime I smoke. It's just more widely accepted as a bud so if a friend asks me to help him out when their dealers fall through I can give them nugs. It's also easier to handle and work with in my opinion. If I grind it all before I never know when to stop smoking. Instead I grind how much I want to smoke when I want to smoke it. It gives myself a limit that I know I won't go over.

12. keep it in nug form and grind as you go along.

13. This exactly. Most of the time i notice myself smoking most of it when its not in nug form, not too sure why.

14. Fuck grinding my weed, it's too pretty to grind up.

15. Grinding bud is always the best option, no matter how pretty it is.

OP: I gotta agree with Blunt. I grind up a few nugs for my sesh and then put the rest away and it sets a nice limit :p otherwise id get ripped and just keep pulling out grinded bud haha

16. Most people will tell you to grind, but then again most people also would rather pay a chef to cook for them than to learn to cook for themselves.

Grinding is a brute force option. It's convenient and easy but it's not the best way to prepare your bud. Learning how to properly break it up with one's fingers is an essential skill IMO.

EDIT: Yes I have a grinder. It's probably got cobwebs on it.

EDITED EDIT: Sorry, busy day. Forgot to answer the actual question. As soon as you grind it oxidation starts to affect it. Never pre-grind. Frankly I'd say never grind at all but I know most of you are going to anyways :)

17. Hes not really asking if he should gring it or not...hes asking if he should grind it ALL up at ONCE.

18. I would grind with my fingers but, my hands get sweaty and the weed tends to stick to'em. Plus nobody likes to smoke sweaty weed.

19. Hi Oldskoolgrower, would you mind sharing some tips on what you say is properly breaking bud up by hand?

I used to always break it up with my hands, been going on 7 years now, but recently I bought a grinder and have to say I love it because it breaks the buds down more evenly than I ever did by hand. I'm just wonderng if your prefence is for the uneveness, or if there are better techniques than what I was doing. Thanks!