To get a dog or...not get a dog? Pros and cons.

Discussion in 'Pets' started by WoodHouse, Mar 26, 2013.

1. I've been entertaining the idea of getting a dog ever since I was little. My mom used to promise me we'd get one once we moved into a house of our own but now that we finally have (6 years ago haha) we've just stock piled three cats. I love all of them but the most recent one really is a pain in the ass and is never calm. He runs everywhere and messes around too much with my other two awesome chill cats.

We have an okay sized back yard but our house isn't that big and like I said cat issue. I really want a dog to come home to and just chill with. Maybe take some places at the park to smoke and shit but I'm still debating it.

What are some good dog breeds to look into? Some loyal and chill dogs (I know it varies an assload)? Some things to keep in mind when taking care of a dog?

Looking into getting a 2-5 year old.

2. It sounds like you want more of a relaxed, laid back dog. Look into breeds that are more of couch potatoes and not too hyper.

It's good that you're looking into getting a 2-5 year old...I love puppies, and my next dog I'll get as a puppy again... But puppies are hard work. Lots of accidents, going out side 2-3 times a night, etc.

Pros - dogs are great companions, they are always there to greet you at the door, they are always by your side.

Cons - Dogs need more attention than cats. You can leave a cat home a few days with food and water and they'll be okay. Dogs, if you're going to be out of town for a day or more you're going to need a boarder or dog sitter.

3. #3 SpliffyPuffs, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2013
    You want a Mastiff. Very Chill, Very Loyal.... Until a brendal labrador gets into your yard and knocks up your mastiff, then you get these Bad Ass looking Tiger Striped Mastador full of freakin energy its ridiculous, or at least ime.

Attached Files:

4. #4 stonergirl650, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    once i fostered a puppy from the streets, we became best friends and i fed him chicken, then i had to give him away, and it was one of the worst days i have ever experienced. this was 5 years ago and im always wondering if Max the pup still remembers me.

i think you should get a dog. having a dog was a great experience. i want to adopt more in the future.

5. Con: they shit everywhere.
    Pro: you can cook and eat it if youre hungry.

6. Get a husky if you want a big dog their friendly and cute as fuck! Plus bitches love them ;)

The only bad thing about them is they shed a lot, need baths and more attention like others said, but when I get my own place I'm buying one!

Attached Files:

7. I had a black lab/shepard mix and he was smart as hell and real chill..sucks i had to give him away :(

8. Id say a beagle. They are real cool dogs and make good pets.

9. You definetly dont want a husky if you think that cats a pain in the ass. You gotta exercise huskies everyday or they eat your house. I have 2 siberian huskies and they are a handful. There is never laid back time at my house. And my backyard is huge fenced in yard and its still not enough room for them to exercise i gotta take them on walk/runs and hikes through the woods to get them exercised. And you cant let them off the leash or theyll bolt. I let my one off leash and he sticks around as long as the other is on a leash but if theyre both loose, theyre both gone.

But youre right, chicks love them.

10. #10 FlawlessMagnum, Mar 26, 2013
    Smith&Wesson

ForumRunner_20130326_094754.png

11. I'd say Labrador. They are chill but will keep you active. Very loyal and smart.

I hate little dogs. Especially the yappy kinds.

Omega369 :wave:

12. #12 Bongstothedome, Mar 26, 2013
    Obviously get a dog... Im gunna have at least 3-4 dogs when i graduate from college in 2 years, that being said, im getting mountain dogs... Pyranees mountain dogs and bernese mountain dogs. Maybe a few black labs for duck and deer hunting.

13. id get a german shepherd if i could pay for a dog, idk why but i always get a good vibe from them whenever i see one haha, my grandmother went to the pound and this one dog came running to her and started kissing her so my grandmother adopted her and shes one of the most loving, friendly dogs ever. I seriously recommend going to the pound to get a dog, they always seem much more loving.

14. Get a pug, or an English bull dog

15. [quote name='"FID"']Id say a beagle. They are real cool dogs and make good pets.[/quote]

Do not get a beagle dude. Those things are shit rats.

16. Cant go wrong with any dog. I love my German Shepard! I've had em since he was 6-8 weeks old. Going on 4 years now. Sure he's a headache and a handful sometimes but I love him to death.

17. I have heard on this forum that beagles are a good chill dogs to have. What are your experiences with them?( please don't think I am being a condescending, just looking for opinions/knowledge)

18. Rotty all the way :smoking:

19. No dog breed is perfect, but you need to find one that fits you & your schedule. If you're a lazy fuck, don't get a dog that needs a bunch of exercise, if you don't handle picking up shit well don't get a big dog, etc.

Remember that rescue dogs have their quirks. My dog was abused and hates men that smoke cigarettes, hates water, he isn't very good at wrestling because he gets defensive. He's almost seven and all that shit happened when he was a puppy. When you get a dog don't go in with a ton of expectations, shit doesn't always pan out.

Dogs are expensive too, dog food is a bitch, and most dogs will have at least one dumb fuck up that costs a lot.

20. #20 Pew, Mar 26, 2013
    I have a cavoodle and it's an awesome dog. Super smart and friendly, never bit anyone(Wonder why he's so chill :smoke:..). Loves playing fetch once he was taught by giving him food every time he brought shit back. He gets walked about five times a week.

Plus they don't shed.

Ather thing you need to realise is that dogs ain't cheap in the long term. If you can afford it but they are the best.

Looks like this.
    [​IMG]