To everyone who has eczema...

Discussion in 'General' started by alicedee07, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Recently I was in Peru for a week, and during that time my eczema was 90% gone, and my digestive problems were also gone. But since coming back on wednesday, my eczema is making a comeback. So clearly something in the United States is clearly making my skin flare up.

Has this every happened to any of you guys? How can I find out what the real culprit is?

2. I have it, and it got a lot better when I moved out of the big city(New Orleans) to a smaller one for college, and just this weekend I came back home for labor day weekend and it flared up again. I think mine has to do with the pets, but maybe going somewhere new is a good remedy?

3. Did you eat a different diet in Peru? Do you take supplements here? I was taking a supplement for my knee for a few months and had bad rashes, once I stopped taking the supplement it was gone.

4. I had severe eczema as an early teen and it was fucking horrible. Worst experience of my life. Had it all over my body...I mean fucking every where. There's soooooo many causes for eczema it's not funny. I can't help you with your situation sorry, but all I can recommend is to keep on searching for different treatments in the hope you'll eventually find one that works.

I discovered this cream online called Freederm which seemed to help tremendously (And I can tell you this was a miraculous thing for me seeing how severe and persistent it was), so you might wanna give that a go. I seemed to have grown out of it now anyway.

Good luck with it all. I know how incredibly difficult it is to deal with!

5. If you were eating a traditional Peruvian diet then you did not eat much wheat-has your doc ruled out Celiac Disease?

6. Oh I still ate lots of wheat, and my eczema still disappeared. I'm wondering if the wheat in Peru is different than the wheat in the US. But then again, it can be SOOO many possible things. I stopped smoking weed in Peru. I hope it isn't weed that is causing it :confused:

7. More likely an air borne allergen than a dietary one. Or some combination of the two. Has your allergist explained about cross reactivity...

For example- I'm allergic to birch pollen, and, as a result can't eat cantaloupe. At least not in North America, where birch pollen and cantaloupe are "in season" at the same time. I could eat cantaloupe in Australia. Unless some jerk down the street has planted birch trees in their yard.:p

Did you change your soap, lotion or shampoo? Could it be the water, was the water you were washing in unchlorinated? Did you get more sun exposure at a higher altitude?:confused:

8. I have psoriasis. Some years I'll get really bad flare-ups where it'll cover 75% of my body, but some years I won't see more than a few spots. It has a lot to do with stress and depression. The more stress/depressed I feel, the more of a flare-up I get.
    Maybe it's the same for eczema, I'm not really sure.

9. Well the biggest thing with the water in Peru is you can't drink it. Everyone buys bottled water there, which is a stark difference cuz I drink from taps here in the US. And bathing with the water in Peru could have been different as well. As far as sun exposure, I'd say there was less because it is cloudy a lot in Lima.

10. Could be parasites!