to eliminate fear

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by :::===={XX}, Oct 15, 2003.

1. I would be contemplating on what the importancxe of even trying to conquer a gorge...I understand your point though, but i just want everyone to understand the essence of fear, of why you feel it, and why we are equipped with fear, rather than us looking at it as if it lingers over our shoulders. At the time being i'm not sure if scientists are focusing on how to extinguish fear, but how to control it to some extent. But nobody should entangle fear with evil. Is the fear of rejection from asking a girl out on a date so bad? Fear is merely our boundaries, it is the way the mind contains itself from spilling. It gives us common sense, what if there was a murderer out on the loose near your neighborhood, would it be intelligent to unlock your door because you know your not scared of it, and put your family or children's lives on the line? I mean you gotta think. Fear is a caution, a sensor, a radar, it is a factor of common sense. Fear will never be destroyed therefore there'll always be those that kill or harm others, while there are those who defend people or lie low. Personally, i accept fear in my life, it is a spark of flame that i try not to feed because it would only burn longer, so i invite it out of me...Here, one last example for all,onean say they do not feel fear, what would be the point of climbing mount everest besides trying to be heard in the world? Everyone would be technically more on the same level, everyone would have confidence, there would be less individuallity, people wouldn't think anything is disgusting, they'd accept everything into their lives, and after a long time everyone would be more of the same.

2. Evil dosn't "feed" off fear, nether does anything for that matter, fear is simply a survival mechanism... without fear we would have little to no bearing on the world around us and probly wouldn't live very long.

3. That about sums the fear subject up..I don't know how everyone overall understood what i wrote, but to sum it up, i'm against the destroying fear thing, maybe i sounded like i was for it, but yeah, i accept fear....I'm repeating myself aren't i?

4. Perhaps....

5. no you are all just too scared.
    but I am starting to think it cant be done or maby im just scared myself.

6. Fear is a good thing imo. Without fear you would be like "okay lets go see what happens if I jump the fence surrounding the lions den." You say replace fear with common sense. The part of common sense that would encompass fear would be one in the same as fear itself. Getting rid of one gets rid of the other. All fear really does is to let you weigh the pros and cons of a decision. It helps you make the right decision, without it we would not know the difference between right and wrong. Besides all the reasons for not eliminating it, it's impossible anyway, so stop trying.

7. Wise words... I'll try that.

8. everything in this world is based in love or fear, opposite ends of the line.

lol, that crazy bitch from donnie darko

9. Alright I a m drunk right now.

love and fear you say. What about light and dark. Good and bad. Fear and the opposite of fear [can any one tell me what that is does it exist is it freedom is it peace is it love or is it all that and more of what we should be.]

Jim Morrison said "Expose your self to the deepest fear[for me that would be fear itself] after that fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shinks and vanishes. you are free". The fear of freedom?? now that is somthing I can not relate to because I have never truely felt freedom.

fear can be eliminated only if you belive it can be just like if you belive this world is not real. I dont really like to think about this subject most probably because I am scared but I still do.

10. Quite the amazing trip, this thread. Has anyone noticed, after reading through the entire thread, just how many twists and turns there were?

"If I could eliminate fear": the example that first came to mind was the Dalai Lama. There is no fear in that man. None registers in his eyes. None emanates from his being.

Therefore, I would think that if it's Fear that you're looking to eliminate from your life, Wisdom would be the tool with which to do it.

11. The wise person isn't immune to fear, if anything they know WHAT to fear. I still don't see why fear is percived as so bad, i mean it's there for a reason aint it...

12. Before I met one, I may have agreed with you. Have you ever met a truly wise man, looked into his eyes, listened to his words, and shared sustenance from his bowl? I tell you, the man is fearless.

13. He may be fearless, but that dosn't mean wisdom eliminates fear, if anything i'd have to say it's conviction that eliminates fear. Have you ever met someone so fanatical about something that they'd die for it? A wise man is not by definition a fearless man, but many belivers, whether it be in a religion or specific cause do not fear simply beacause they have placed whatever they belive in over themselves.

14. Fear comes in many forms from a great white shark to walking down the street with no cloths on. I would put it down to physical fear and emotional fear 2 very different things but are still the same. Some people say there is instinctual fear somthing you are born with but I would say that is wisdom

Wisdom could be the key then if I were to belive that fear was not there wich would be hard to do I would have to sortof trick my mind in to beliveing not really trick but just belive.