To answer a question.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by KeeneGreen, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Someone on this board asked me what it would take for me to not have faith anymore. What would get you to not believe in your God anymore. I didn't answer then, I was doing thinking as we all do in our own ways, and I thought of this.

It would take the actual God, to reach out to me and touch me. With enough of his (existence/consciousness/being/soul) that I could tell it was God. I don't know how God goes about doing that, but it would have to be done.

Until then, I, like everyone else, will believe in my own personal idea of a God. The same as everyone. Or lack thereof for you atheist.

Until I have proof, I shall simply have my faith.

I think what it would take me to change my belief on this matter is not very different from what many of you would say. Although some think God sends signs to do so.

So what would it take you to believe in a God? Nondemoninational. No religion. One or five. I don't want to know what God. I just want to know what a God would have to do to prove his existence. That his being existed, regardless of the circumstances, and that we couldn't understand because such circumstances, being beyond time our universe and anything related to ourselves, would be impossible to ever begin to understand. You know nothing,as do I. I have my ideas though. :smoke: I have my life. :smoke:

Anyway, what would it for a God to prove existence?

2. for absolute beliefs with no more questions id have to witness a divine intervention

3. Nothing could prove his existence to me. "God" is a nonunderstandable being. If you want proof, then you would lack faith.

there is nothing a god could do to prove his existence, because simply, i do not believe in one.

4. I think you misunderstood me. I said that until I had proof, I have faith. I want proof. Yet I have faith. Did not Thomas doubt? And all of us? I wish more then anything I had something I could use to prove it to you. I would use it every argument :laughing: ;)

This is a story, for lack of a better word. A God exists. Perhaps it is the collective, perhaps the existence of one means multiples, I don't know. What I do know is say that ______ Exists.

So now. Welcome to this new reality, in the pages. Discussion. How does this God prove himself to you?

5. i would rather go a life without knowing, and then if he did exist, i would want him to be "face" to face with me, and i would question him. I just dont think theirs any "miracles" he could do that would make me go HOLY SH...COW, i mean unless Jesus came down from the heavens or something....

6. :rolleyes: :p Well.... I mean... Didn't he try that once? ;)

7. i wasnt there so it never happened :p

8. #8 KeeneGreen, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2010
    Does a tree falling make sound if your not there? What if other people are there?

What if birds singing are there?

What about squirrels, and deer?

What about the bugs! :confused:

Does knowledge only exist, if you witnessed it's creation?

9. I guess I really don't care until a tree falls on me.

10. So you would seek to further educate yourself on life only if it attacked you?

Not specific to knowledge, just the way I interpreted your post.

11. i dont believe in God, but if he does exist then I dont even think we would be able to understand fully what he/she/it is. Also, a mystical experience with God is nonsense because the idea/properties of God are inconsistent with the way we perceive reality. We have never experienced anything that is infinite in power, knowledge, goodness. So, if somebody says that God "touched" them just turn your back to that person because even if they were somehow "touched" by God it would be completely meaningless to us. God is supposedly not a physical being so touching us is incoherent. I say its meaningless to us because when you really think about God "touching" somebody, you are either intelectually confused or stubborn because it honestly does not make sense to say that one has experienced God. this is where faith comes in to play because people have realized that we CAN'T experience God.

To be honest, i think Jesus christ was insane. He says he was the son of God, everybody who says that today becomes an eccentric cult leader. Thats who jesus was, a cult leader with a lot of uneducated followers who are/were persuaded by emotional factors and not common logic.

12. Thank you for completely ignoring my post, and proving that even when talking about things that don't involve Christianity, it is the first to get picked on.

And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.

Proof? :(

13. #13 SauchBoss, Apr 12, 2010
    i didnt say anything about christianity. im just saying that we can't experience god, even if he/she/it really does exist therefore speaking of "God" is meaningless. I also said that this is where faith comes into play, im just saying that having that kind of faith in something so grand should be more of a careful kind of faith. most people just have faith becuase they were raised with the "fact" that God exists.

Also, my problem with claiming God exists is that humans try to claim to know more than they really can. We need more humility in our society where people are not dogmatic so we can progress to more answers of reality that are actually meaningful and active in everyday life. We should accept that there are things we really CAN"T know!!!!! We are limited as sentient humans.

why would you have such strong beliefs/faith if theres not one hint of physical evidence to support what you believe?

14. #14 clos3tgrow3r, Apr 12, 2010
    No doubt the tree fell. But were the eye witnesses reliable? That is the real question.

To answer your question I myself am not sure.
    I used to be a pure atheist believing only in the cold hard facts of reality, but then out of nowhere, a beauty within nature began to tug at the fibers in my mind that were once reserved for the God I prayed to as a child. For me, God perhaps, can be found within the design of a conch, an ancient tree, or a pride of hunting lions--no matter the stimulus a deeper meaning that always elicits the same awe pushes its way into my heart. I dont know what this "meaning" is and I reject it to be the christian god because it has been corrupted by man, as are the jewish and islamic god. But I do understand that the original founders of all religions were pure and genuinely had a connection to the profound. In short, I believe in the concept but reject the entity of God. Nothing short of him manifesting him or herself would change my opinion. My God does not have thoughts, preferences, a to-do list, ect. he is everything and nothing.

15. There have to be witnesses?

16. If there was a god and he cared if we believed in him, it would be incredibly easy to prove he exists. Just give us some sort of sign. Anything. If someone prayed to god, and when he did he felt something he had never felt before that he couldn't describe. Even that doesn't happen. God can't even do that for us.

Tell me this. Why did god intervene so openly in biblical times? Were they more important than us?

17. #17 clos3tgrow3r, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2010
    Not for God, but for the actions of men (even the son of God).

I am assuming the bible was responsible for constructing a significant portion of your vision of christianity. Well the bible is the byproduct of what those "witnesses" experienced. Neither God nor Jesus contributed a single word.

So yes, if you are going to have faith in something written by people, it is important to ask yourself if your source is reliable.

18. Yes and no. My life is my primary source of faith. The bible just sort of puts words to what I feel already.

And God speaks through men.