To all the parents.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Caution43449, Apr 16, 2009.

1. How do you feel about using drugs and being around your kids? I have a 3 year old little boy that stays with me 3-4 days a week and every time i have him i feel it would be completely wrong to either smoke or taking a couple pills. Does anybody else feel this way?

2. I feel you. I'm not a parent but my little cousin who is only 3, well I love him a lot. And when I came to babysit him I did have two joints I was planning to smoke when he was napping, and I left his room after he fell asleep and went outside to spark up.. and I just couldn't do it. The image of him sleeping peacefully, unaware to the horrors of the world.. it just made me put the joint away. I went back in feeling terrible.

3. What do you mean the horrors of the world?

4. Meh. Not a parent and can't say that I can offer a great perspective on this, but my feeling on this is that it'd be okay responsibly. Obviously don't get fucked up and have to drive your kid to a friends house or something. Getting fucked up to the point that you can't take care of your kid when you need to isn't okay. But smoking a j would be okay, I just wouldn't go off and start packing bong after bong or anything. Getting high is one thing, getting blown out is another. IMO smoking a joint while taking care of a child is as okay as it is to have a beer while taking care of a child.

5. IMO, getting buzzed and babysitting isnt a problem, like the poster above me said. Getting fried or shitfaced or taking too much pills is irresponsible. As long as your not driving smoking a little is not a problem.

6. ^^agreed. A little is recreational or relaxing, any more is irresponsible. Plus you could pull that anti-drug ad thing where the kids smoke pot and kill the little kids or something (or maybe that was a Eugene Mirman routine . . . ).

7. #7 PsychiatricWard, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009
    i don't really think the last two posts are at all relevant and i will say why... when he says horrors of the world he's talking about everything outside the realm of being a child. kids don't know about getting high or anything else. they're content with themselves and the people they love and the life they live. as teenagers and adults we may have our own reasons to be doing what we do but kids don't need that and i guess he's asking why can't we always have that mindset. i have more to say but i have so many thoughts and ideas from the original post that i forget the rest. i'll post as need be to responses.

not to say i don't love getting high but i try to remember what i thought about drugs as a kid. :eek:

i think some things are more acceptable then others :\ idk it's really hard to make a good case for both sides.

8. I personally don't see it as a problem. I'm not a parent, but a friend of mine has a 2 year old, and he tokes in front of him constantly. He'll break up weed and smoke directly in front of him every day.

That's his own belief, but I have to agree. Kids will learn about these things eventually. Why shelter them and have them found out the wrong information? This kid is growing up seeing weed as a normal practice. Now with any other drug, I may have some objection, but not seeing weed as a big problem. Though I do see how people can see it that way.

9. I can certainly see where you're coming from and agree on many levels. That's why I think one of the descriptions of an LSD trip as 'childhood bliss' is a good analogy. You just have no worries outside the immediate; no thoughts of school, bills, life, drugs, responsibilities, etc.

And what I said earlier I think should only apply to 'gaurdians' (babysitters, etc) of children over 3. Anyone who is a caregiver to a child under 3 should be totally capable of responding to it's needs, as children that young have little sense of self, safety, reality, etc. But I see no problems with the parents of a, say, anywhere between 6-18, smoking weed, or using some "soft" drugs when their are not children under their watch are care (hint: send your kids to summer camp).

10. I Mean i dont even smoke cigs when im around him or have him. Me and one of my friends were talking about it the other night and felt that with a child being that young using anything around him wouldnt be right. Like when he is older i would more than likely smoke with him if thats what he chooses to do but i cant say i would offer him anything simplely because i would want him to make his own choices. After reading these posts its showed me some different views and i aggree with the ones about not getting completely smashed around kids, which i feel would be wrong in every way.

11. It's no worse than having a beer or two, which is pretty acceptable.

12. i believe that in the end it is ALWAYS the users choice, they might be more prone to smoking if you toke up in front of them all their life

13. I think when you are with a child it is important to be present and sober, so you can focus on the needs of the child not the twinkies in the cupboard

14. I'm not a dad but I know if I was, for the sake of my kid I'd probs kick any habits.
    I know for a fact that I could have a joint and look after a kid. I know I could.
    But for me, not very moral.

I doubt I'd even drink at all if I was a dad.
    Reason being, my father enjoyed a drink.

Need I say more?

15. man it trips me out
    i deliver pizzas and on more then one occasion i've had someone open the door and it will just reek of bud and their kids will run around the house and shit