Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

To all the older members, were you hippies in the 60s and 70s?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by JeanRalphio, Feb 19, 2016.

1. #1 JeanRalphio, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2016
    Just wondering. Also, do you have stories about the hippy toker life back then?

2. Sorta-kinda. I had long hair, bell bottom jeans...but I took a bath every day...

3. #3 PsychedelicSam, Feb 19, 2016
    Oh, yeah! Still am. [​IMG]

4. Any stories about like festivals or any other hippie toker stuff from back then.

5. I am now the designated roller where ever I go and have been for a few decades. I might not be so good at it if not for one particular occasion shortly after I started smoking. This was '70 and I was a college sophomore. I was still real wet behind the ears. I wanted to try my hand at dealing because it sounded intriguing in those days even though I didn't know crap about crap. I never did sell anything, just wound up getting really wasted and wasting a lot of primo hash and weed. I had bought a few lids and nickel bags up to that point and grams of hash but had never even seen anything larger. I had bought an ounce of Nepalese Gold Seal hash that had me clearly not thinking straight and a guy I met wanted to trade a pound of Acapulco Gold that he had just gone out west to get for that hash and a hundred dollars. I took the Gold and had no clue what to do with it. I had never seen anything like it up to that point. All my bags previously had been dry, seedy and not real fluffy. Because it was the legendary Acapulco Gold, I decided to show off to my friends in an attempt to flaunt my self-perceived high standing in the hip community. They lived in another college town a few hundred miles away, so I took a bus there and started partying. I had considered these friends more knowledgeable about how to best market my Gold. What an idiot I was. My friends recommendation was to cut it all up and roll joints to sell. Christ, what an idiot I was. We took a bunch of scissors and cut up that whole pound of Acapulco Gold in little pieces and rolled a jillion joints. Never sold one. None of us could roll worth a damn before and none of the others seemed to learn much then, but I became a joint rolling dervish and haven't slowed down since. I can roll blindfolded and one handed. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2

6. A lot of it I can't talk about here...and the stuff I can talk about, everybody would think I'm making up...it was a crazy time.
    Happy I made it out alive...lol

• Like Like x 2
  7. That was going to be my answer, too, but I already had posted my story a few times. That's about as mild as it gets and like you said, it was a crazy time. I'm happy and lucky to make it out alive. Unless someone lived the times, any stories get lost in translation. It's difficult to make the younger generations understand our references since so much has changed. I've tried but get tired of trying to explain the terms of the day.

And it wasn't all fun and games. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. I grew up the 60s and 70s and I recall the best part was how simple life was. We would smoke a J and take a walk in the woods. I had long hair and rarely wore shoes in the summertime but I always disliked most of the clothes of that era. Bell bottoms, hip hugger pants and poofy shirts were laughed at back then too at least in my crowd.

Vietnam war, landing on the moon, racial riots and mega inflation, party lines (you heard that right, shared phone numbers) no cell phones, 3 channels on TV and long distance phone calls cost a fortune. I lived in the country so a neighbor a few miles away was long distance. No ATM machines, no drive thru food at all, no computers, no internet and no video games at all lol.

We fished and went swimming as kids. We "grazed" the neighborhood for food, apples in one yard and grapes in another or to the woods for raspberries we took little and had our neighbor's blessing to take what we wanted to eat. Good times with lots of exercise to get your own snacks lol.

• Like Like x 1
  9. #9 wafdof, Feb 19, 2016
    We also had only a black and white TV until about '69. The new one had no remote not that the 3'channels really required it and I remember it cost about as much as my Current TV and took a minute or two to warm up. My dad bought a Sears calculator that only did simple math for $100. I thought that was crazy since that would be more like $400-$500 in today's dollars. Our first game was Pong that also cost about $100. Only played one game in black and white only lol.

Togo restaurants and delivery was not a regular thing we had either. Everything was a sit down restaurant except one "car hop" place and one place that had only a pick up window. (One is still open today). Dominos just started delivery when I was a teenager.

10. I really do like to tell the stories to my sons and their friends, as they know I'm being honest...and who could make up shit like that...haha
    I really enjoyed our social media being hanging out at various parks, bars, pinball arcades, and head shops. Nothing like being face to face with your peers...and all of the opposite sex there was to meet...[​IMG]
    Also seemed like everybody was on the same page...love, peace, and ending the Viet nam war...and free love...no HIV, might get the clap, but that was about it...ahhhh.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Here goes a rant....sorry..

What a great analogy of the times.....
    So true to who was there, and.... more important ....where you were.

IT WAS UNBELIEVABLY DIFFERENT!
    I grew up in Memphis, TN till about 1975 (then I moved to Cal at about 25 years old)
    Houses had screens in the windows and a big attic fan running, you could leave the windows open all night to let the cool air in. Front door rarely locked, and usually open and only the screen door was closed.
    Milk could still be delivered by the "Milk Man" and it was in glass jars.
    The "Book Mobile" would park at the local store parking lot 1 day a week to act as a mobile library... that you could check out and read and return.
    The change from....you had to be home from "at dark" to.... "when the street lights come on".
    Playing in "the woods" as a kid...collecting bottles for money to buy penny candies at the corner store.
    I saw gas as low 15 cents a gallon in New Mexico on trip across the US on Route 66 (NO freeways...yet in mid 60s).
    An off the floor standard "69 Plymouth Road Runner /4 speed was less than $2,000.

I "hitched-hiked" all over town before I got my drivers license and after with friends and by myself.
    There would be no issue even seeing a girl hitch-hiking in those days.
    In 1970 I hitched hiked to Waco, Texas and back again.
    Today "hitch-hiking" is almost non existing....cause you are flirting with death.

12. Never a marxist hippe or enviro tree hugger. Also preferred bathing and personal hygiene. Also preferred to work for a living and practice self-reliance. Peace and love are great until you meet bad people. And the world is full of bad people.

Served me well.

• Like Like x 1

13. Pong! Oh baby. Played it until the TV kept the image, ha!!!!

Then came atari. weed, chicks, and atari made for some smelly fingers. :)

14. Does anyone in the Los Angels area remember the Helms Bakery truck. Those were the best donuts ever.

15. Lol. I can't roll for shits, I can roll blunts, but it takes me a little while and I use a tool.

16. God damn it, found my first "commie marxist jew bullshit" type guy on grasscity. I thought if there was any place on the net your type might not be, it was weed forums.

17. I knew a bigot, racist, anti-semite would show up too! Do you cry when your misguided beliefs are challenged by sensible, highly educated and experienced people?

Stand by...we'll find you a "safe-room" for your feelings.

• Like Like x 1
  18. i agree with @Grizzly Tracks that being all love and peace doesnt work, there are some bad people in the world and love and peace cant save you.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Surely you aren't speaking about yourself. And I'm not even the progressive type.

20. i was in my dads hips all through the 60's and 70's until i got transferred to my moms in the 90's and been livin the life since 93. so in more than a few ways you can call me a hippie.