TMNTs First Official Grow Journal

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by TMNToker, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Looks like your going to grow some godly plants with all the scientific research that seems to be going into it :) can't wait to hear how it goes :hello:

2. #22 TMNToker, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2011
    Well the NLs still haven't sprouted. thinking they're duds, which would suck because I was counting on them for the quick harvest :( Might start germing another NL but by the time it sprouts the harvest time difference may have disappeared. How long before they are for sure duds? Where would you guys go from here? What do you recommend regarding quick harvest with what I have (plenty of seeds, as well as two plants.)

Also, the Critical + and the Aurora are doing fantastic. Got the bit of seed off the Aurora so she's now spread and looking just as beautiful as the Crit. :hello:

3. I would wait one week to see if anything happens. If nothing happens in a week, search for the seed and remove it.

4. Alright guys, wall-o-text time. Help me out here..

So I'm really not sure what I want to do at this point. I was really excited about the quick harvest the autoflowers would give but I'm pretty sure the NLs I have in my soil are duds. I have 2 more NLs, 2 Diesels, 4 Auroras, and 1 Critical +. My initial reaction to the NLs not sprouting (still haven't taken them out, giving them a chance) was positive. The two plants I do have could really benefit from the extra space. But they are photoperiods and therefore will take much longer than the NLs would have. So I guess I have a few questions. Bongsauce, you had given me some ideas regarding this before so maybe you and dogg could help me form a new game plan. So I can think of a few vague ideas on how things could go down. I could just leave the Aurora and Crit to fill the case nicely themselves, and suffer through the wait. OR I could try to germ and sprout the other NLs and add more plants and thus less space to work with. OR OR OR I could pop all of my photoperiod seeds ( 7 + my 2 plants = 9 plants total) and have a bit of a sea of green as well as a scrog going on. What would bring the fastest harvest? What would bring the largest harvest? What do you suggest I do? I feel like I've exhausted my ideas. Can anyone please help give me some new direction?

The Crit and Aurora look wonderful :) GF and I are so very proud :hello:

5. In terms of fastest harvest....the autos would win unless you veg the photoperiods for less than 1 month. The biggest yield will be tricky, if you scrog your Critical + and Aurora right, you can yield a lot. Or if you go 12/12 from seed from your 9 photoperiod plants you'll yield a poopy amount. I believe 12/12 from seed would yield maybe 1/2 an ounce per plant...
    I would stick to having less plants in the space and growing them out to their full potential and maximize harvest with a screen and cutting all the low undergrowth to focus light, energy & nutrients to the upper buds ;)

6. Well I certainly have my foot in my mouth. It seems that one of the NLs has a bit of a sprout going on. I think I will see if the other NL sprouts and then pick the best to keep and toss the other. I think 3 plants would do much better than 4, and then I could put the aurora and critical + in equal size containers as the single NL and grow them all to be around the same size. I'm just completely unsure of the harvest I'd get from the NL in the size case I have. Haven't been able to find any decent journals using the autoflowering NL. Especially if I end up changing the light schedule to 12/12 after awhile I'm worried it may not do very well. Thoughts on that? I've just heard that autoflowers down yield well under 12/12.

7. Exactly brother, give them a week to get going..
    And yes, that is true, most autos like 20/4 not 12/12. :rolleyes:

8. Hmm what to do what to do.

9. yea i got mine on 20/4 and shes lookin mighty fine.
    some growers even do 24/0 but its highly debated and i just stick to the norm.

10. I'd stick to 20/4 to give the plants a little bit of a rest. Sure wouldn't hurt ;)

11. FYI- I've been germing with a paper towel and have had great success considering the condition of the bag seeds.

I had a seed that didn't sprout a tap root. I popped that sucker into some soil and forgot about it. A month or more later that sucker popped up. Actually the two plants i am growing now came to be by ignoring them.

12. Well I was on 24/0 but my temps eventually got up to 90F once I had to close my windows and the lights were super hot to the touch, so I'm changing the schedule to 20/4 so they can cool down a bit. Worried about changing light schedules. Hopefully there's nothing more to it than just changing the timer. The Aurora and Critical + have the very beginnings of a second set coming up, and the NL is now fully erect and starting to separate it's first leaves.

13. 24/0 or 18/6 is fine to veg autoflowers....the flowering part is best done under 20/4. You can give them 20/4 to veg & flower since they're autos
    And yeah, it is that simple :hello:

14. #34 TMNToker, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2011
    Little update:wave:: I am moved into my house and my plants are doing great:hello:. The Critical + is looking beastly, and the Aurora's not far behind. The Northern Lights definitely had some damage early on (I was fidgeting with my soil, uncovered the sprout which was white, hadn't seen light yet, and I thought it was a chunk of perlite). The two biggest first leaves are deformed and discolored, but it has new growth that looks totally healthy so I'm assuming it's bounced back. :yay:

EDIT: I have a question for someone with an answer.. I feel like although my plants seem to be doing very well (I'm thinking I can take some pictures tonight, now that I'm a bit settled, but we shall see) I think they could use a little more light. as I'm currently only running 72watts total (4 18w). Obviously I have my 6500K veg bulbs in. So here's my question. Would my plants benefit from the light increase if I were to put in my 4 2700K flower bulbs (+92watts, 23 each, for a total of 164watts of light)? Or would I be better off buying more 6500K bulbs, if I want to up the wattage? 72 watts just seems super low. I would just throw them on another powerstrip, which I think I will add soon anyway, so I can keep my fan running without the lights on (1st powerstrip to wall-->fans to 1st powerstrip-->timer into 1st powerstrip--> 2nd powerstrip into timer-->lights into 2nd powerstrip).

Keep growing, buddies!
    :smoke:

15. Its hard for me to imagine this so posting a picture of what you mean would help. But this is what I can help with, CFL guidelines recommend at least 100 actual watts per plant. When it says "equivalent to xwatts" don't listen to that. Just look at the real wattage it uses and add those up to 100w per plant. That would seriously speed up growth speeds and stop stretching. :smoke:

16. My question wasn't really about the watts, it's about mixing 2700K + 6500K bulbs during veg, and if that would be an okay way for me to up my wattage, since I already have 92 watts of 5600K that I could add the 72 watts of 2700K(which is currently all I have in). Does that kinda clarify my question? I have a tenancy to type lots of shit that means very little in the long run haha.

17. I say it would be fine to add the bulbs. The more light, the better. :smoke:

18. Just out of general curiosity. I've heard wonderful things about FF Trio ferts, and am wondering if it could benefit my plants, in small doses. My initial thought is no, because my soil is already so rich, but perhaps it could make for some godly buds. I don't know, hence why I'm asking. :rolleyes:

19. diggin the setup, hope to see your new pics soon. I just got some sprouts of my own, but mine are all bagseed

20. Nothing wrong with bagseed! Have plenty of friends who have had great success with bagseed. I will have a picture update tomorrow (since I believe I left my camera at my old house, so I'll have to pick it up in the morning.

Goodluck to you, buddy!:hello: