tmarins Closet Grow - DWC and soil

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by tmarin, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Here is the start of my new grow. I have a bunch of CFLs until I get my closet setup with ventilation and an HPS; hopefully sometime this week.

Just a simple DWC bucket with 2 clones (left). Both taken from the mother (right) who is chillin in a bucket with soil. Mom doesn't seem too happy right now, I flushed her and hopefully she'll liven up a bit. Clones are doing pretty well, they have pretty nice root systems already.

Here are the pics.

Attached Files:

2. lookin nice.

3. Update:

Finally got the HPS. Haven't hooked up the ventilation yet, but I have a 265 cfm fan and some dryer hose. Just need to put some holes in the walls.

The bud pictured is clipped from an outdoor grow. Nothing special just thought I'd share.

And check out the new aerogarden with some chives, basil, thyme, etc. about to sprout. Was kinda skeptical but seems like it will work out.

Attached Files:

4. Update:

Got the ventilation set up, so hopefully it will stay cool in the closet. 265 cfm blowing out of a air cooled 400 HPS. I have no intake holes right now, but the closet doors let some air in.

Here are some new pics of the plants, they've grown a lot :hello::hello::Dsince I put in the HPS. How much longer you all think til I flower? I know these girls are gonna stretch like crazy once I switch 12/12.

Also would like some advice on light proofing the doors to the closet, while still having easy access and being invisible from outside the closet.

Please comment/advise on these issues.... GROW ON:smoke:

Attached Files:

5. lookin healthy and green. whered you get those lights? been lookin for some, walmart has some for 7$ but not like that. GL MAN

6. I assume you're talking about the CFL bulbs?? You can get those bulbs along with the sockets and reflectors all at Home Depot. The fixtures are 6 bucks each and you can find the bulbs for around 2 each.

If you are talking about the HPS you can get those online or at any hydroponics store. That one is a 400 Watt HPS.

7. Bump. How long do you all think I should wait til flowering? And how far should the HPS be from the top of the plants?

8. Hey Tmarin how's it going bud?:)

A bit of guesswork here but I'd say a couple of weeks more under HPS then switch.

Get some reflective mylar!!
    If you cover the doors with mylar you can overlap the outer edges. You can overlap the middle edge too, but make sure you open the right door first when you open it every time! :D You should be able to do the bottom of the door with a draught excluder strip.

You need an intake though for an exchange of air, this is very important. If you haven't already, you need to invest in temp/RH guage, proper pH meter and TDS meter.

Looks like you are getting it together though, nice one man!

9. Thanks for stoppin in, good to see you're still around Squidgey. I took a bit of a sabbatical from GC, but I'm excited for my first grow with the HPS.

As far as pH and TDS I've got digital Hanna meters. And even without an intake hole, my temps are pretty kosher. 12 inches below the light the air is at 82 F, and the water is 73 F. I really don't want to put any more holes in the walls, so unless it starts getting hotter I'm gonna try and keep it as is.

For the door, I think I'm gonna cover it in black/white poly. They've got a good deal at the hydro shop and I don't feel like hanging mylar in the whole closet. Plus I really think flat white is almost as reflective as mylar. Anyone else got thoughts on this? I'll definitely look into a draught excluder though. Don't know exactly what it is/where to get it, but I think I know what you're talking about. I'll check Home Depot.

10. if you can, get astrofoil its like a cardboard mylar sheel, is what people use as a thing to keep the heat out of cars,RV`s and shit, i like it cause you can wipe it down real good and it wont rip lol

11. I have been using the white stuff so far, but I have now (almost) switched to some diamond patterned reflective stuff....it's the nuts! I haven't put it up properly yet cos I am waiting until I change the res and have to take everything out of there anyway.

Tmarin, it's not just about getting the right temps....you need an exchange of air. Don't suppose there is a vent in the wall is there?

What's the Relative Humidity?

I'm having some issues with ventilation right now and it's a pain in the ass, I hope it's easier in your climate.

(Hey thanks for the rep :) )

12. No problem bud rep is always appreciated.

Yeah I realize air exchange is necessary but right now I think theres plenty flowing in through the closet doors. Check out the closet pic above, you can see how much light is coming through the bottom of the doors. When I light proof the doors this might be an issue.

I'm not sure of the RH - need to go get some AAA batteries so my meter will turn on ;) Never had a problem with that before though so I don't anticipate that its wrong. What is proper humidity anyway?

Hope you work out those ventilation issues.

Here is a new pic of the closet. Rearranged a bit and put the mother plant back in until we flower.

Attached Files:

13. Lookin good- how close is that 400 watt light? Looks like that one off to the side is jealous of the light her sisters are getting LOL The plants look great though, keep it up! :D

14. Yeah the one off the left is most certainly jealous. She's not a sister though, thats their momma ;) The light is about 15" from the tops of the plants. I've never run an HPS so I don't know whats right, but this sure seems to be doing the trick.

I think I'll be moving the mom out of here when I switch to 12/12. When do you think I should switch? I was thinking the next few days.

:smoke::smoke::smoke:

15. Update:

Finally got the closet lightproofed - 2 days into 12/12 now.

These bitches are drinking so much water now I have to add a couple gallons every few days.

How do they look?

Attached Files:

16. Update - 6 days flowering

We are now 6 days into 12/12 and I see a lot of pistils already. These plants are really stretching out. Can't wait til the buds start getting thick :yummy:

What do you all think about water changes in these DWC systems? I've been told change the water every 2 weeks, then others say they only change once throughout the grow. What do you all do?

I personally haven't changed the water once yet. I just add nutrient water whenever the res is getting low.

Should I do a full water change now that I'm in flower? I bought some Clearex salt leeching solution, I was told it was a good preventative measure, anybody used it?

New pics below. :smoke::smoke:

Attached Files: