Titanium Nails/Pads, Oxidation, and Butane vs. Propane Torches, an academic analysis.

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by USSChallenger, Aug 13, 2012.

1. if theres a flame present, butane isnt. in order for the flame to be produced butane must be reacted to form co2 and h2o.

Health issues surrounding Butane lighters? [Archive] - Bluelight

4th post down

since youre using vector, pure, butane in your torch, theres no contaminants and thus no harmful vapors just co2 and h2o and heat

2. There is still a chance that butane can be sprayed onto your stone before it ignites. That initial rush of gas when you turn on the torch could possibly make its way into your piece and lungs before it ignites. I'm sure that for the most part you don't inhale tane off of a h.s., but the fact that it can happen is contradictive to the name 'Health Stone'

3. The proper way to use a torch (especially on a stone) is to light the torch and then move it to the stone. No butane. Who lights their torch directly on anything?....

4. this. ive never shot a torch directly on my hs that would just be asking to burn my oil. tastes like shit

5. Um i light my torch directly on my nail everytime...I don't own or use a stone regularly(i have hit them a few dozen times though), so i based my point on how i've see most people hit them; pointing their mini torch directly at the stone. If you did light it away from the stone, then yes that would solve the point i brought up. But you still can't say that there is no chance of inhaling tane off a hs...which seems to be what you guys are trying to say.

6. theres a chance of inhaling butane off a nail, if you for some reason torched it with the dome on it and inhaled. point is thats an incorrect usage of the nail. thus, using it correctly, leads to no butane.

nail analogous to hs in this situation. the butane is a contingent effect of you not using the stone and more importantly the torch correctly. Im not going to take responsibility for incorrect usage of a product leading to health risks.

7. Bump.

Some good info. We need more info on ti nails in general around here.

8. Idk if someone mentioned this yet, but I believe I read it on the highly educated blog?  Glass and quartz retain heat far longer than titanium.  Ti heats up faster but also cools faster.

http://www.highlyeducatedti.com/blog/?p=261
    Borosilicate glass, and quartz alike, have relatively low thermal conductivity values; their values are 1.14 W/(m·K) for borosilicate and 1.3 W/(m·K) for quartz. Pure titanium, in comparison, has a value of 21.9 W/(m·K). What does this mean? Well, for one it means that everyone who told you titanium retains heat better than quartz or glass was wrong, myself included as I have said it in the past without researching it (egg all over my face). Titanium merely heats up faster.
    Its easy to see why we could incorrectly assume titanium retains heat longer than glass or quartz because with daily use we notice the titanium gets much hotter after 30 seconds of heating than the glass does. This isn't because the glass couldn't retain the heat, its because the glass wasn't heated long enough to get to temperature in the first place due to its low thermal conductivity value.  Look at those numbers again, you would probably want to torch glass or quartz at least 5x longer if not more to reach the same temperature levels you reach with titanium. So the fallacy we have heard so often that “titanium retains heat better than boro or quartz” needs to be corrected to “titanium has a higher thermal conductivity value than boro or quartz”.

10. i noticed my new ti nail after my first 3 dabs i noticed a discoloration on the top is this normal

11. Health stones burn the errl when you first touch the flame to it and the you use the same flame to burn the hash off the stone.

You might inhale butane, you might not.

My problem with the health stone is that for the most part, you are burning your errl rather than vaporizing it.

Don't like it but that's just me and my preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. What kind if discoloration? Like the blue and purple hues on the nail when you first heat it up?

That's normal

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. I got my domeless Ti nail a couple months ago I seasoned the nail with some crappy wax i had saved up from poor buys. I used maybe .4 grams to season. I heated it three separate times and used a glob of wax each time. I used enough to coat the entire bottom of the nail the first time, the sides the second time, and the entire inside the third time. I heated the nail until the titanium was starting to turn orange.

As far as heating my nail when I am going to dab..  I use a small butane torch and heat my nail until I see the first bit of titanium glowing orange. I wait a couple seconds and drop my dab.. I then carb cap and it clouds up real nice. Taste is awesome with every dab as long as I do this exact process.

This is whats worked for me with my nail. Unfortunately its starting to oxidize and that is why I think my next nail will be quartz. Only thing I dont like is having to heat up quartz 5x longer than titanium.. Uses more butane and makes taking a dab a longer process.

Ceramic is another option as well. My buddy has a domeless ceramic nail and low temping on that thing is amazing. Only thing for me is that it stays hot for a fairly long time after taking a dab. Otherwise I would definitely go ceramic.

Each nail is made for certain types of smokers you just have to find the nail that works best for you. Sometimes you have to try a few before you know. 

Hope this helps! Also good info in here thanks guys!

14. if your nail thats only a couple months old is oxidized then you are heating it way too much or its a low quality nail cause mine is fine and been using it since new year.

15. Nuke the nail so u get a pure vapor hit . It's smoother

16. so for various unimportatnt reasons, you choose to take a path of metal posioning.
    sounds well thought out.