Tips to cool an HPS light??

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Arcadian, Jan 13, 2018.

1. I'm looking to get a 600w hps for my 4x4 tent but am worried about controlling the heat they put off. I have a good inline fan and other circulation fans. And I can vent out of the tent but not out of the room its in.
    Thanks in advance! :)

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

2. Never turn heater on n that room,keep bedroom door closed, fan below bulb,leave window cracked,run lights at night there’s probably 100 other ways but those seem to b the easiest depending on your situation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. just keep in mind the space arround the tent matters like if the room temp is mid 70s ur gona have a hard time cooling the tent, i learned this from past experience, i now grow in a room vs my tent cos its just easier to cool, also keep in mind if u really need it portable acs are a thing and they work really well

• Like Like x 1
  4. If you don't have a cool hood or cool tube...get 1.
    I prefer cool hoods

You'll need to figure out a way to vent outside of the room and bring fresh cool co2 rich air in

• Like Like x 1
  5. Why not go led quantum board, and not worry about heat?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Right. I've been looking at all my options. I know hps is cheap and works awesome. If only it wasn't so damn hot.

7. Just last fall i was in your position, i decided to wait for some quantum boards and im glad i did. Im gonna have to add cobs because i need more heat lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I've been looking at the 120w qbs. I would probably get 6 of em for my 4x4 tent. Though I've never wired anything before in my life. But some ppl say its easy

• Like Like x 1
  9. I have two qb 304s right now, but those 120s are impressive as well. I ran a 300w led last summer and felt that the house AC worked a little harder to remove the grows heat. I mean, when the technology is there to keep your power bill low that's worth it to me. Especially with what nutrients cost lol

Oh and wiring them is easy, and theres probably a youtube

10. #10 norml56, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    If you go the quantum route 120s are the way to go far as heat goes. I'm trying out 4 288s in my 5x5 and they produce quite a bit of heat. A lot more than I thought led would or at least more than the led growers let on.

remote your drivers if possible. Those fuckers get HOT. A lot of people attach the driver to the heatsink or mount it inside the tent while it is easier it will create a lot more heat inside the tent.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cooling a 600watt HPS with an enclosed hood is pretty easy, they don't produce a ton of heat. They do take up alot more room than led tho.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ive run two of my 304s at max and i think i could run 4, maybe 6 of them, in my 36x42 with no over heating issues

13. I wonder if they 304's run cooler There would be no way I could run 6 288's at max in my 5x5 tent. I'll admit I don't have the best heatsinks on my boards. I don't have an IR gun but I used a digital food thermometer on my heat sinks and they all sit about 90 F

• Like Like x 1
  14. Im not sure, but i have good ventilation though, and its in a cool basement in fact I'm not even running the ventilation at all right now because it's too cold... I may end up adding an HPS into my grow next winter just to help keep things warm, going to try adding some Cobs First... for now I have a space heater because the quantum boards can't get it warm enough lol.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I’m running 5 x 600 watt hps lights in a 3m by 1.5m by 2 m high tent large outage fan and big oscilating fan no temp probs at all

• Like Like x 1
  16. Do you vent out air out of the room?

17. dunno if this will help but lookin into cmh lights

tho for hps you have option of usong a cool tube and point it towards a window so as much hot air goes out if its in the same room heat will rise so if you suck your air in at the bottom and out the top most of the heat will rise and warm what ever is above you i run 800w of led in my room and i vent out into my room i just keep a window cracked open and a fan pushing cool air in and down towards my tent :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  18. I’m not sure it u can find my pics but I have pictures I vent air out of my chimney my attic is cold so that helps try look at my pics

• Like Like x 1
  19. Running in a basement for sure helps. I have my inline pulling cooler air from inside the room to inside the tent but the door to the room stays closed after I go to bed so it is eventually recycling warmer air back in. It isn't even close to danger hot. Some people would even warm it up further. I was just stating that they do get warmer than I expected and for me cooling down an enclosed light system is easier than an entire tent.

• Like Like x 2
  20. These quantums actually need more warmth, 80-85 has been the veg temps, i just flipped to 12s lastnight and will prob do 78-83 for flower. The lights are so cool the plants wont transpire enough without upping the temps.

I plant to buy one of the 120s for my veg room, then im gonna take the cheapo 300w the 120 will replace, and convert it to cob to put in with the quantums. Then add two more 304s and see where my temps are.