Tips on diet foods

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by rync888, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Whats up blades. Over the last 4 years I've become quite chubby according to my bmi I need to lose 25 lbs but would love to drop 40 instead and be perfectly healthy and in great shape. I used to stick to a diet back in the day of just low calories but realized that I'd be tired a lot as my body wasn't getting the right foods.

Just looking for some tips on some healthy foods that I should be eating daily. and foods I should ALWAYS avoid. I'm sticking strictly to water, kicking coffee if possible and trying to not drink any calories unless it's juice. I'm looking at about 1600 cals a day without exercise(so obviously more than that with exercising) to lose 4lbs a week.

I have a calorie counter app on my phone now and just want some input of top foods I should be eating while weening my body off of the calories I'm consuming now.

Thanks everyone and I plan on starting a picture blog and posting after the first 30 days.

2. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Avoid processed food, fried foods, sugar, and fat. Try taking fish oil pills, vitamin B and vitamin D if you are not in the sun a lot.

3. Thanks, as I'm inside for 9 hrs a day at work I'll def. pick up some vitamin pills. Any noteworthy brand? I've read a few places some brands are definitely to be avoided which is kind of scary.

4. Also any meal tips? I am fine with a cliff bar in the am or breakfast essential shake I just don't know if for lunch salad and some fruit provides enough for my body then for dinner probably chicken breast and/or tuna but every time i look up dinner meals they seem complex

5. Maybe go to a health food store and look a food and vitamins. Try to eat colorful foods and cook from scratch. You can always add beans for protein in a salad. The whole foods webpage has a lot of ideas on healthy meals if you want to take a look.

And try eating 5 small meals a day, its better for you. And do not eat before bed because its harder for your body to process food when you sleep.

Cliff bars contain soy, idk if that concerns you. But soy has been shown to raise estrogen levels in males. So you might not want to eat a lot of it.

6. Cook your own food. It'll be pretty clear to you if you're adding a bunch of bullshit with it.

7. ^ agreed.

Whole foods are the way to go.

Fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, some meat and dairy.

Eat that at the right amount of calories and you'll lose weight effortlessly.

8. Idk... about dairy, though. I never really understood how dairy can be healthy.

9. #9 RooRgle, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
    I eat a high protein diet, with white meat. I've cut out red meat and only eat it on rare occasions..this is tough for me because I love red meat, but it always made me feel bloated and shitty, so I cut back and stick to chicken.

I NEVER eat after 10pm, but I do drink protein shakes before bed. This is not the same as a double cheeseburger from McDonaldz, or a milkshake, it is actually playing a big part in recovery after a intense workout :smoking:

I eat more fruits, and vegetables, whey protein, and peanut butter...high fats like almonds and avocados are good to snack on. Only beverage in your diet should be water, some coffee and some tea, but water is your friend.

Last but certainly not least...EXERCISE, it sucks balls but it's how we stay healthy. Food is just an energy source...so use that energy and run or walk 20+ minutes every couple of days, or every day if you can, that's just 90% of a family guy episode, nbd. :bongin:

Ohh and good luck, it's tough but rewarding!!

10. Avoid the "whites"-white rice, white flour, sugar and lard (some folks add milk in there, too).

Omega 3 (fish oil, flax seed oil, hemp seed oil) can help you lose weight. :D

Hemp & GLA: Good Fat Burns Bad Fat (article - undated)
    Hemp & GLA: Good Fat Burns Bad Fat | Manitoba Harvest - Hemp Foods and Oils

Eat less red meat and more salmon. Learn to read those nutritional labels- they are trying to tell you important stuff! Avoid preservatives, and artificial colors and flavors.

In primitive societies, about 80% of the calories come from vegetable sources. Since meat is calorie-dense, this means that less than 10% of their diet is meat. Our teeth echo this- they peg us as omnivores leaning toward herbivore side.

You guys may find this to be informative and easier to read than the medical studies that I usually post! :D

3 Things You Need to Know about Eating Protein - Yahoo! News

Granny :wave:

11. Calcium, protein, decent amount of fat (which isnt bad for you), pretty low carbs.

Think of healthy as in terms of a whole diet, not really one food.

12. Depends on the persons lineage. Some cultures have been eating dairy for years and has adopted. Others never even domesticated cattle and those people tend to be lactose-intolerant, such as African or African Americans.

Dairy is still only good in small/supplemental amounts even if you can handle the lactose since it builds a lot of excess mucus in the body.

13. Lactose is an issue with some people and you do have to take into account other qualities of the foods you eat such as alkalinity, digestibility, etc.

For me, dairy is fine in small amounts. I start noticing acne, congestion, and other issues when I add too much to my diet though..

14. Yeah I suppose that's true.

Personally I go through a gallon of milk in about 3 days, sometimes like 2. I must be able to digest it pretty well.

15. What's your family lineage? That's a big factor...

16. Milk isn't really a good source for calcium, vegetables are better. There is really no need to drink it.

17. DEFINITELY no need to drink it and I agree there are better plant sources of calcium.

However, raw milk for building muscle is crazy. If you put in hardwork at the gym and add like just a glass or two of raw milk a day you'll see your gains improve....well atleast from what I've seen and heard from multiple people. When I go on a bulk coming up soon, I'm definitely going to incorporate moderate amounts of raw milk. It's expensive as FUCK which is a bummer. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do though.

Grassfed meat is extremely pricey as well but you can't let high prices deter you from going for the quality food.

You're a chick though so I'm sure you're not interested in these :p. I'm talking more so to OP and anyone else browsing :D

18. [quote name='"nanners"']Maybe go to a health food store and look a food and vitamins. Try to eat colorful foods and cook from scratch. You can always add beans for protein in a salad. The whole foods webpage has a lot of ideas on healthy meals if you want to take a look.

And try eating 5 small meals a day, its better for you. And do not eat before bed because its harder for your body to process food when you sleep.

Cliff bars contain soy, idk if that concerns you. But soy has been shown to raise estrogen levels in males. So you might not want to eat a lot of it.[/quote]

Actually eating before isn't bad because if you think about it your body has no food from dinner to breakfast. If you are sleeping the amount you should be (8 hours) plus time between dinner and bed. Your body is essentially starving and Jolson onto the fat cells so it doesn't starve.

19. Don't eat anything that a peasant would not have access to, or anything a peasant could not make by themselves.

20. #20 hurb1, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
    Dont restrict calories that never works. Thats why diets rarely work and theres 10 million of them. Youre just going to make yourself suffer with hunger and then binge after and gain what you lost right back and then some. Dont diet just replace the majority of the food that you eat with fruit.The good news is that you can eat as much fruits and veg as you want. Pick your favorite fruits and pound them for breakfast, and lunch.

Bananas are great, i can eat a dozen for breakfast and i stay lean as a twig. They give the most bang for the buck and are calorie dense 100 calories per. You should eat clean whole foods, limit dairy and meat portions. Low fat high carb foods will give you energy without adding any weight. Take that energy and go outside and be a kid again to start the fat melting. Drink nothing but water, juice is worthless, unless its high quality and youll know by the insane price tag or if you make it yourself.

Dont even look at the scale initially, its only going to show fluctuations in water loss/gain. Youll start to see the changes on your arms and waist. Get your favorite tunes,walk, bike, rollerblade, swing from the monkey bars at the local playground while the little kids stare at you.