Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tips on dealing with sobriety

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by illegallyblonde, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Alright I have a cotton swab test coming up in a week and I am on day 2 of abstinence from smoking. Today has been easier than yesterday, but I'm incredibly irritable, depressed and anxious. I started smoking about 10 years ago because I loved that it handled my anxiety problems without me having to do take any shitty chemicals. I don't think I have gone a single day sober since then and I'm not acclimating very well. I know it's not the end of the world, and in the end I'll have a sweet new job and a reset tolerance (hopefully) but does anybody have any tips on coping or getting through the week without giving in? The temptation of being around it is killing me and I've never been a big drinker :(

2. Can't tell you much but act like the grown adult you know you are and go without. I smoked daily for about 4 years and quit about two months ago cold turkey and it's really not something to make a big fuss over unless you have some sort of addictive personality I suppose. Just quit smoking, put on some Netflix or get on social media. Do the same things you'd be doing high.

3. #3 nevrmindedness, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
    Worst advice i've ever heard. Just sitting around 'pretending to be high' sounds like the worst possible way to avoid getting high. All you will be thinking is 'man, this would be so much better if i was baked right now'.
    Boredom is by far the biggest gateway drug (next to netflix and social media, lol).
    I would recommend lots and lots of exercise and/or strenuous labor. Find a physically demanding DIY project maybe, or take the time to train really hard for whatever sport or activity you enjoy. Exerting yourself (especially with a goal in mind) releases the same endorphins that smoking does, and afterwards you will feel relaxed and accomplished. Cannabinoids light up the 'reward' center of your brain, which is what leads to that pleasant feeling that you're missing. You just need to find another way to stimulate that part of your mind. And it's NOT by watching netflix lol (unless you normally feel accomplished after binge watching shit while sober).
    And don't let assholes make you feel bad for wanting to be high. It doesn't make you an addict or immature. Some people just can't wrap their head around the human condition, and the fact that everyone experiences life differently. Depressed people never have to quit their meds for a month to get a job, and if they did they would be bitching up a storm and possibly killing themselves. So don't feel bad for letting this affect your mood. Just stay distracted and strong till they let you get back on your meds

• Like Like x 3
  4. Weed is never as important as the vehicle (job) that will allow you to buy that which you crave so much now. All of that and you could try to practice meditation. Sounds like new age bull but it just takes a little practice and you can go from 100 to 0 in minutes through meditating.

5. Find something to occupy yourself with maybe try some adventurous cooking or if you're a gamer pick up a new game with the money you're saving.

• Like Like x 1