tips of leaves turning brown. why?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by scebo, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Just setup our first hydroponic grow room. I have two dual spectrum lights, a small fan going in a little cubb hole, probably about 5ftx4x4. Got some northern light clones from a dispencsary and within 4 days the roots are growing like crazy and the plants have grown an inch. however, the very tips of the leaves are turning brown. The temp is around 85f, humidity is around 34, ph is between 5.75 and 6.0. We used nutes and i thought that may be the issue, however was told that the bottom leaves would have the problem first instead of the top leaves. Again, it is just the very very tip of it, but dont want it to go any further.

Any suggestions at what the issue could be? Should I be misting the plants? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)

2. What kind of lighting and how close?

3. vegatative cfl and flowering cfl, dual spectrum and their about 9 inches from the top of plants

4. Flush as soon as possible with distilled or non-clorinated water. Mist plants when the lights are off and maybe pull the light up or turn off one light to get the temp down. It sounds like a nute burn.The top tips will turn brown from nute burn just as fast or faster than the bottom leaves. When in doubt flush it out. If they come out of the burn, feed at 1/2 strength for 5-7 days. Should be ok.

5. I was thinking it was a nute burn. Flushed it out earlier today. I started it at 1/2 strength on the nutes to begin with cuz i dont think th dispensary was using any. and just the way the roots are growing is astounding, at least an inch in one day, no shit. my humidity dropped below 30 day before yesterday so i misted them twice, but had the lights on so that may have been it too. Have been using distalled water from the git. maybe its just the changes in watering and lights and all. the ladies are on a continuous feed hydroponic watering system now. Have backed the lights off about 3 inches, flushed and just trying to keep a consistant humidity going. Is 30 to 40 good or should it be higher?

6. #6 bubblegrower, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
    it sounds like you are back on track!! good save. and as was mentioned earlier, always remember, if something looks funny, flush it. there are TONS of pros and cons to growing hydro. the pure flush that we can do in hydro compared to leaving your plant in a mud hole (dirt flushing) is one of the most overlooked pros. if one of my girls even hiccups funny she gets clean water for 1-3 days. ESPECIALLY during veg where you are not creating as much chaos with hormones. and we all know how touchy and unpredictable a female with unstable hormones can be :)

purely a joke... no sexism or harm implied.