Tips inbetween harvesting

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jennybunny, Jan 14, 2013.

1. #1 jennybunny, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
    Everybody knows the usual harvesting way. Now i have heard of things like keeping your lights off 24h before cutting down. Does this have a beneficial side to it? Has anybody actually tested this? Also here about people cutting all top foliage off and keeping the lower under the light for an extra week. Any thoughts on these two things from people who have possibly tried them?

2. Defoliation is really strain and phenotype dependent. Some respond to it well, others don't. Just got to experiment to know with that one. I almost always defoliate to some extent.

As for the 24 dark period before chopping, I've never seen any evidence that it's beneficial at all. Some people claim that it makes the nugs "frostier," but trichomes need time to mature and they're not going to do that in 24 hours. I just see it as waste of a 12 hour period where they could have some light.

Want frostier nugs? Put some UVB light in there the last few weeks.

3. Very interesting theory's thanks blade. UVB that works pretty well you would say? Heard about that a bit back. Never tried tho. UVB as in like a reptile light or is that a black light?

4. Reptile lights. They make different strengths, the strongest one is the one you want. They're relatively cheap.

5. Ah I thought so. Right just give the plants more variety light spectrum right. Damn I gave my reptile lights away when I got rid of my bearded dragons. Might have u grab a few. Would u say its worth it to add it? That much of a difference?

6. Can't really say as I've never done a side-by-side. They'll grow just fine without 'em though, that's for sure.

I believe that the trichomes are the plants natural defense against UVB light, which HID light puts out no noticeable amount of. Once the 3rd or so week of flowering comes in and there are trichomes on the plant, that is the time to introduce the UVB lighting.

MH puts out *slightly* more UVB than HPS, which is why nugs grown under MH tend to be frostier.