Tips from experienced runners?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Kushjob, May 24, 2011.

1. Alright, I'm in need of a few tips from some experienced (or any) runners for that matter.

Whenever I really go for a cardio session I always find myself struggling midway with my breathing.

What sort of breathing techniques do you use?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Although cadenced breathing may be difficult to master, it can be an excellent way to coordinate your breathing patterns with your running movements. In fact, elite runners use this method as a means of ensuring an even rhythm to their running. Most elite athletes use a 2-to-2 breathing cadence. This means that they take two steps per inhale, and two steps per exhale. At the end of the race, they might switch to a 2-to-1 cadence, which involves a two-count inhalation followed by one-count exhalation.

However, the 2-to-2 and the 2-to-1 breathing patterns may cause novice runners to get a bit light headed. If this happens, try a 3-to-3 breathing pattern.

3. I remember in my younger days. That would happen. But almost a decade ago I turned the the Buddhist. Which is big on breath control and meditation. now all I do now is put on my earphones and begin my meditation practice. You will look down and notice that 27 minutes went by like a blink of an eye.

What I really like to do is go through the chakras do them from top down. I kinda speed through the the top to get to the lower ones. There I can feel the muscle fibers tighten up. I can see them as well but that's a different story.
    Sorry I'm rambling stoned.
    Google meditation breath control and it will help you.
    I'm so flippin addicted because you think you know your body. Until you really explore your body.

4. I would start vaping honestly. I normally do the 2-2 method.

5. As far as the 2-2, would that mean that every 2 left/right steps or left right?

6. I inhale for 4 steps through the nose, then exhale for 4 steps through the mouth.

7. #7 TwoWheelToker, May 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2011
    Also, try and breath using the base of your lungs (your diaphragm). This will really help with your breathing and your posture.

8. i tend to do 2 quick in's with 1 long out

9. Mine isn't about breathing.

When you run its all about pushing yourself to the limit. If your in pain, don't stop, keep running. Are you having trouble breathing, slow down the pace, but continue to jog forward. Its all about pushing yourself and testing how much pain/discomfort your body can withstand.

10. Running is all about method. When I run my step count per breath is 3-4 steps per inhale/exhale. Be sure to keep your hands and jaw loose. Dont clinch either of them. Also, just check your mind out of what your doing. Let your body drive you and ignore all the discomfort.

11. vary the length of your runs and the pace within each session, don't do 30 minutes of running at a steady pace.

land on your forefeet, not your heels, saves the hips and knees. Saves the heels of your socks too.

12. I don't really pay attention to how many steps I take per breath, but I keep my breathing as slow as possible at all times. It keeps your heart rate lower since your blood doesn't have to pump as fast in order to accept/expel the oxygen/CO2. If I'm playing sports, running sprints, or near the end of a race, though, I don't pay attention to my breathing at all and concentrate on form instead. You might want to look at your form, as poor form can make you expend excess energy.

13. I just breathe...no method. But what I do when I get out of breath is slow the treadmill down or if I'm running on the ground I just slow down until I catch my breath, then slowly speed back up.

Try walk-run intervals. You run (at a moderate pace this is no olympic race lol ) until you start to get out of breath and then power walk until you catch your breath back, then switch back to running until you run out of breath, and so on.

14. First of all, if you want to the most efficient at running and cardio in general, then you should quit smoking haha.

But try using your stomach when your breath. Long but not heavy breaths. Works for me.