Tips for talking to your children about pot.

Discussion in 'General' started by leo7, Mar 15, 2007.

1. I do not have kids so I cannot really add much to this discussion. I do like the posted link and I think it could be helpful to some. It would be interesting to hear from some parents on the forums to see how they have handled the situation, or how they are planning to.

2. I have no children of my own, by my brother has a young son.

He's 3, so still pretty young, even to understand what a drug is, but my brother is anything but secretive about it. He usually has his pipe out on his desk (visible but out of reach), and regularly neglects to put his bong away.

In the summers he usually has a small potted cannabis plant on his window sill. so yeah, again; anything but secretive.

I haven't ask him what he's going to tell his son, it's never really come up. But my brother is a very intelligent guy. We were talking about a year ago weather he should introduce Santa Clause or just explain to him it's something that other people's parents do -- he feels bad lying to his kid.

Haha but yeah, he decided to go along with it. So it will be interesting to see what my nephew knows and thinks about cannabis in a few years.

It's not very useful, but that's my input.

3. I don't completely agree with those ideas. It for one, is important, to make sure that children are using marijuana responsibly, but wait until 18 or 21... no.

I started in the 7th grade, and continued to use it more frequently in high school. The thing is, I kept a strict 3-week limit on my usage (and I ended up waiting a month or two), and with high school, I was already disciplined enough to try out new habits (days in a row then a tolerance break, weekends, etc.). There is no comparison to smoking weed with a few friends in the care-free school days, and I think that parents should be more thoughtful about that.

4. "They need to know that cannabis choice is a private, family matter that should not be discussed outside the home, as some people don't like it and want to punish people who use it, just like some people hate others for being of a different race."
    ^
    |
    |
    That sounds funny, but the rest of the article does seem to have a point. I was one of those kids who had to hide even my knowledge of cannabis from my parents, but i think it would have been better if i didn't have to. So I do think its important for young kids to know about cannabis. I too would like to hear what parents have to say about this..

5. I have always said that if I have kids I will not try to get them to believe in Santa. Most people I mention that to think I am crazy and that I would be ruining "part of the fun" of Christmas. I just never saw how lying to your child was fun. We are supposed to teach them how to be "good citizens" and "productive" members of society... What does lying to them teach them? That it is okay to do it if it will mean fun for someone? *Shrugs*

I do not think most people are ready to accept kids smoking cannabis and that being alright. We do not let them drink or smoke cigarettes, why should they be able to smoke cannabis?