Tips for playing metal guitar

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by scarface420, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Hey guys

To start off, i played guitar a few years ago for about 2 years and took lessons and all that and i was alright i guess. I never really learned how to read music or compose or anything but i could still play some songs.

I would love to be able to get back into though as i have really gotten into metal these days but every time i try and sit down with my guitar and play metal-ish riffs it just doesnt sound right.

Do any guitarists out there have any suggestions for getting back into it? Im talking like typical metal power chords, riffs, scales, etc.

Bands ive been in to lately - The faceless, Born of Osiris, The Human Abstract, Veil of Maya (my favorite band), august burns red, parkway drive (not much anymore), Within the Ruins, etc. I really like the progressive/technical stuff

2. Well if your into hardcore music you need to learn appregios. Which is basically a scale formed by power chords. Google it

Once you can play through them really fast then learn how to sweep pick it (youtube it)

Then you can play pretty much any hardcore song there is.

3. Hi, im more of a bass player but i can also play some guitar. im into alt-rock, indie rock stuff like that but some tips would be to listen to instructional videos i guess or i usually get tabs from websites (ultimate-guitar.com) or other similar sites. if you like metal you should learn to play the song The fall of troy-f.c.p.r.e.m.i.x or The fall of troy fcpsitsgepgepgep.
    Both the same songs just ones slower. also its not as hard as it sounds but when you play it, it sounds really cool.