Tips for increasing THC content in your plants

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by NewSalvia, Feb 28, 2005.

1. i cant complain yet, this plant is almost 5 weeks old i call her beverly. :ey: she seems to be enjoying this experiment ive got going. i honestly am hoping this is a female beacause id like to focus mainly on her alone or with one other plant in my space.

Attached Files:

2. At five weeks old she could be 3 feet tall though. Just saying if you do some low budget co2 (like decomposing yeast) and some nutrients you'll see alot better results.

3. i have heard of these techniques as well, also have heard of people shoving a thumb tack in the main stem gives stress resin

4. There are many ways to increase the THC content in the weed your grow outdoors, some are proven methods and some are folklore. Amphetamine and related substances stimulate the alertness of the central nervous system and the impulse to external action.

5. i wish people would read threads instead of posting useless folklorist things for newbies to get hung up on.

LOW BUDGET CO2 (yeast and water) DOES NOT RAISE PPM's EFFECTIVELY... enough to be superior to more airflow bringing in more total ppms's past the underside of the leaves (proper ventilation).

rumpleforeskin says:

Re: low budget CO2 Yeast, Sugar, and Water- How much is made?
    \t\t\t \t\t\tI tested it a while back. I did two one-gallon jugs of the brew in my small broom closet grow. Both my meters said it boosted the CO2 around 100ppm over normal air. It lasted three days then tapered off to nothing more then a bad smell by week's end.

6. You know what i do? The water thing yes, but i play 24/7 Rastafarian music for my plants, and whenever i smoke i always make sure to smoke right with my plants. Let them get a taste of how they gonna be. I swear it works. I know their isn't any research to back that up (duh) but it works. The music thing has been proven though; at least for classical.[​IMG]

7. Disagree. Although I will always use scissors this does not mean I am against using an auto trimmer. Growers who use auto trimmers are dealing with tens of hundreds of pounds. They can't spend 13 hours to trim a pound, or their next harvest would be ready before they finished trimming.

Basically, your argument for not using an auto-trimmer is because it "fucks up a good thing" if by good things your talking about thc...it does not at all fuck with the thc. Here is the key sentence that may surprise you. THC does not fall off of wet marijuana flowers. Obviously if you beat the shit out of it, but trimming it with a fan does NOT remove a significant amount of trichs if done correctly.

ANYONE KNOW ANY GOOD WAYS TO INCREASE RESIN PRODUCTION IN ORGANIC GROWING?

8. I have done this - not to increase THC, but to quicken growth rate. In my very limited experiment it doubled the size of the plants during early stage growth.

Electrocuting your plants! - Marijuana Cultivation - Growery Message Board

Other growers need to try this promising tek.

9. good thing we arnt cloning human babys. lol would you pick up a baby human the same way you pick up a baby cat lol lets hope not.

10. [quote name='"Monky"']You know what i do? The water thing yes, but i play 24/7 Rastafarian music for my plants, and whenever i smoke i always make sure to smoke right with my plants. Let them get a taste of how they gonna be. I swear it works. I know their isn't any research to back that up (duh) but it works. The music thing has been proven though; at least for classical.[/quote]

Thumbs up lol i do this shit all the time too!!!

11. Cough, bull.
    Low budget CO2 works; by your own words its a 100 ppm increase. I have a fan situated outside my grow hut blowing air in, one blowing air across the plants, one blowing air out
    | HUT |
    In) --Plants)--out) |
    How then do you explain my BIG jump in growth when just using yeast? I have two 5 gallons going, one with an open top and one with a hose connected, then suspended above the plants. BIG increase in growth; depending on your yeast you may have to shake your containers every once in a while (several times a day) to keep production up. This is because some yeasts like to sit on top of the alcohol, seperated from the sugar water. Try and get a bottom dwelling yeast for continual production; you'll have to feed them sugar much more often.
    If you don't like the smells, one can also use limestone CaCO3 and HCL (or other acid) This is what I'm going to do; its much more sanitary. Have a bucket of acid sitting out, drop a rock in every now and then.
    Of course tank CO2 is best.

@ Monkey - it works. matter + fire + O2 = CO2 + H2O
    Very concentrated amounts of CO2 being blown on your plants for short bursts; itll help some. I hotboxed once with my buddies in my growhut with some plants going in there; the next day their leaves were darker.

Instead of bending stems, which damage cells and rupture xylem(water) pathways, one could just take a fine pin and stab the stem to cause stress. It think someone mentioned a thumbtack while I skimmed the first couple pages.

also @ clongo, UV increases trichomes because light intensity increases trichomes. I don't know what each specific wavelength does, but they all affect the plant in some way. Think of the argument of HID verse fluoro verse LED for flowering. Light intensity is lacking in the latter two, so buds are meh.
    UV is on the wrong spectrum for optimal production, in that your correct, but any increase in light, IE energy, will make your plant respond to protect itself. Red simply works better because reds are closer to the "infrared", heat. Just as heat will cause airy buds, for the plant to protect itself, it'll cause it to up potency. If you don't care about looks, up the heat really high, while keeping the air pretty dry. Though, I would agree with you using UV over red spectrums is not really ideal; I'll take 700-900 nm over 400 any day.

In vege upping both heat and humidity is amazing for growth, especially with CO2.

@ the guy who said water less for THC production increase, this is kinda sketchy as you can also just loose potency because the plant is TOO stressed; less water simulates drought conditions so resins/trichs will be produced to retain as much water as possible, but risky. If you've got it down, go for it. I'm going to try it with one of my plants and compare it to the rest

To everyone who discredited autotrimmers, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Also, if you REALLY want to increase potency (depending on where you grow (in/out) and conditions therein it might backfire) wait untill it's done. Then wait another 2 weeks. The high WONT be clear headed.
    I had some iced grapefruit flowering outside over the summer, I harvested it when it would be conventionally "done", and left alot of buds on for it to re-vege. These "done" buds were rock hard, decent sized, sticky, VERY smelly. A month later I couldn't help myself but trim the majority of the buds left on, off; the plant kept flowering and made the biggest, rock hard nugs I have ever had. Smell had changed from iced grapefruit to something a bit funkier. Touching dried nugs left you with resiny fingers. Throwing them at someones head would hurt them.
    3+ months flowering, no mold, outdoors.
    As long as the plant is kept in flowering, all's cool. This is probably harder to do outdoors; probably only feasable if flowering midsummer. At about this time it would be horrible; I'm getting mold in immature buds, so overripe is out of the question.

./stonedrant over

12. Quite the rant! Couple inquiries.

1. Wouldn't mixing those amounts of HCl and Limstone constantly cost just as much if not more than a c02 tank?

2. What would stressing the stem with a needle do? People bend the stem to allow more budsites to form and to even the canopy etc.

3. I could buy this.

4. Why? Some people harvest huge crops in which it is absolutly neccesary so the buds don't go bad.

5. I think this just increases CBD and decreases THC. So you get that really stoney body high but not the heady high....it's just from letting all the trichomes go amber...IMO it decreases the potency.

13. @washed mothafucka
    u right about all but 5. in most tropical sativas and crazy hybrids(AK47,whitewidow, chronic) there is a chemical called THCV (or THV) that enhances n alters the euphoric and energetic effects of THC and is formed in the FINAL weeks of flowering, and that is part of what contributes to those extreme highs. if you want a happy go do something weed get a sativa, grow it till its ripe. if u want couchlock weed get an indica, grow it till its ripe. theres a trend of growing till its ripe here.

14. #74 1sttimegrower, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
    Im thinking if you can pick up the limestone on outings normally, it would be cheaper; the only expense then is HCL. The whole acid + CaCO3 thing is still in progress for being implemented by me, so I dunno costs. Could be a tank is cheaper. But you have to realize, one tiny calcium carbonate rock, lets say, 100 grams, has lots of CO2. 100 grams means theres 1 Mol of material; ~ 1 Mol Co2 locked into the rock.
    Now lets take a 10 lb tank of CO2; 103 Mols CO2 within. So you would need to take 10,200 grams of pure limestone; this is 22.5 lbs of a rock. I guess it depends; would you rather hunt for limestone, or get a refill? A refill is 10$-15$ i guess(quick google)? 40lbs of granular limestone is 18$ shipped. Its 3-5$ from the store, though.

So, from my bullshit calculations without any experience with either, cost per Mol Co2 is
    .0980 ~ .145 cents tank
    .027 ~ .0983 cents limestone

*edit
    forgot HCL
    not really cost feasible unless you can get some cheaper sources. I think I'm picking up a CO2 tank soon, haha

2 - I was saying that in reference to the people who bend, not for slowing growth of main meristem nor opening up the canopy, but to simulate stress for THC increase. I totally hold with stem bending for other issues

4 - We're talking about potency; they might need to process tons of plant and bud material, but you can't make the argument that their potency has not decreased through so much rough handling

5 - Cured weed is potent weed; cured weed is amber tinged; cured trich's are amber tinged. Could be my reasoning is off, but I see leaving it on the plant as allowing it to shove in as much resins as possible as well as develop trich's fully. On the plant it can get more stuff while potentiating(?) itself; if you take it off before plant material degrades how can it but be more potent? The THC is still there, just other components are increased. You'll have the head high, and the body high, as well as an overall longer lasting high. You get very lethargic/tired from smoking overripe buds; the way I see it, that makes sense. More psycoactives in your body will tire you out more, as well as the fact that more potency will increase chemical levels even greater (one that triggers sleep, can't quite remember the name).
    Leaving it on for a month longer like what happened with my IG is probably not a great idea except if you just want to sleep.
    Of course if your looking for a clearer headed high without much crash, you don't want overripedness.

15. Wasnt this done on plants that were already stressed and doing poorly or somthing like that. I dont remember it working well on a healthy plant.

16. I have grown about 3 crops now, and my bud was never super potent but it is definately getting there.
    (dont get me wrong, it fucks you up just not like amsterdam potency.)

I think its all down to how well you treat your plants, any deficiency in nutrients, oxygen or any stress in general will take energy away from the budsites and THC production. I grew a Blueberry auto outdoor this year and it was the least stressed plant i grew so far. It was also the dankest, stickiest and definately glistened in the light like nothing i had ever grown before.

just my 2 cents

17. #77 Elite Nugs, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2011
    Just grow your plants healthy. If you stress em out, then your only going to slow growth, since the plant has to concentrate on repairing itself.

Instead of using a dangerous ass UV-b light, just use an open reflector without glass. The glass filters out most of the UV rays. So just take the glass off, or use one that doesnt have a glass. Adjust-a-wings are probably some of the best to use.

Also lower humidity helps with trichome production. Dont not water your plants... thats just crazy.

Everyone is always looking for an easy route to increase potency, but the truth is.... 98% of the rumors going around, dont work. So instead of looking for a little trick, or a magical nutrient.... just concentrate on growing your plants more healthy.

Keep your environment at good levels... lower your RH if you want more resinous plants, but not too much as to cause stress... do some reading on tweaking your basic 12/12 light schedules.... and keep em healthy. Cutting plants, kicking them, breaking branches... all that does is stress your plants. If you cause stress, you slow down growth and will probably end up pollinating your crop because you turned your plants hermie. Especially if your growing from feminized seeds... plants from fem seeds usually take very little stress to get them to throw male flowers.

The best advice is to just keep them healthy, keep RH around 50% or a little lower, keep temps at a good comfortable range, add Co2 and focus on keeping your root zone healthy and white, with lots of oxygen available to roots.. If the plant isnt potent enough for you, then its probably not worth even growing and its time for you to get new genetics.

18. #78 Elite Nugs, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2011
    No offense.... but in my opinion we have just as good weed, if not better then whats in Amsterdam. A lot of the Amsterdam breeders use genetics that they got here in California. TH Seeds for instance. He uses an OG Kush that he got here in Cali.

Cali just isnt allowed to sell seeds legally, so we dont advertise like the Amsterdamn or Canada guys do. Here.... you have to know someone, or be in a private growing circle, where you can get access to the good stuff, from breeder like Res, OGRaskal and hundreds of other underground breeders around here.

The cuts they offer at collecitives or despensaries, are usually good, but never fire. We call those "club cuts". Shit thats real fire, is either grown by a lucky person from seed, or they know someone. Every once and a while a good strain leaks out... Like Blue Dream did here in Cali, but now everyone has Blue Dream, so even though its some fire.... collectives wont pay shit for it, since its so widely available.

19. I would 100% agree that cali has some danker strains that amsterdam...that place is just "labeled" as marijuana central. California has got the real connoisseurs lol

20. Did you read my article? They were done with healthy seedlings. I am really surprised that with all the experiments indoor farmers do, this one is overlooked as it ALMOST DOUBLES THE SIZE OF YOUNG PLANTS.

I have very little space so cannot pursue this much further at this time, but I believe this may be the magic everyone is looking for.