Tips for growing cherry trees

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mad scientist, May 20, 2022.

1. Hi folks.
    I have a bunch of seeds from organic cherries i would like to start growing in pots then transplant to the ground.
    Anyone have experience with cherries?
    I stratified them in the fridge over winter.
    Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  2. i did same thing,with apple trees, but i forgot about the seeds and they stayed in the fridge for 6 months haaha so i finally found them in the crisper and said what the heck,they all had tails just barely cracked shells,so i took some ocean forest soil and planted them in solo cups,then i put them on my drying tables for my onions and garlic,watered them and kept a eye on them for about 2 months and nothing,so i just left them there it was in triple digits for 4 months here in texas, so i just gave up on them, left them on the table over winter and really had forgot completly about them and just harvest my onions was cleaning the table off and there they were 4 cups 4 plants all about 2 inch tall so i up pot them to 1 gal pots ,finally this spring i up pot them into 15 gal nursery pots , three are around 14 inchs tall and one is about 10 inchs tall and has 4 limbs were the other three have one pine tree stem . did same thing 4 years ago with 2 peach's i ate and just threw them in a cup, forgot about them and seen something growing from solo cups on the same table,matter of fact i was breaking ice cickles off my house when i seen green,it was the trees, so i planted them in the yard, i dug threw rock to find soil under it and planted it, it is five ft tall right now and growing in the rock formation just fine, the second one is planted right on top of a slate of rock,i took field fence and made a 12 ft circle, filled it with left over alfalfa hay i feed the deer with and card board and dead leaves,filled all the way to the top around 4 1/2 ft,started composting it, after several years of this i came up with this.
    plus the apple trees before transplant

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      2.7 MB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      2.6 MB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      2.7 MB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Assuming they're like pretty much every other fruit tree, the cherries from the resulting trees may or may not have all the desirable traits that the parent trees had. In this case you can still grow them out and use them as rootstock for a proven variety, though if it's not dwarf or semi dwarf rootstock your trees will get to be full sized eventually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Current practice is to use 'clones' grafted from the most proficient plants around ..easy to DIY too
    as with seeds(as I found out years ago) you may have to wait some to get the crop in

good luck

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thanks guys. I've watched some videos on youtube about plum trees as i have some I've been keeping in the fridge for awhile and half the videos say you need to graft them to other roots and the other half don't.

I grew a "Gala" variety apple tree from seed and the apples turned out full size, so its a little confusing about the grafting trick.
    I'll have to look into cloning as well, thanks!