Tips for getting rid of belly fat?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Helikaon, Sep 3, 2011.

1. I've had enough of having a beer belly, I wanna firm up. Any tips on the best exercise I should do?

2. The best way to get rid of fat is to turn it into muscle. Get on a heavy weightlifting routine and supplement with running about 30 minutes a day 4-5 times a week lifting heavy weights 3 - 4 times a week.

3. General cardio like lots of walking/jogging are the most effective, IMHO. Weightlifting is better for building up, not slimming down, but that'll help too, I'm sure.

Also, drink tons of water all the time.

4. he didn't say he wanted to slim down just get rid of belly fat. It is a scientific fact the fastest way to get rid of fat is to turn into muscle.....

cardio alone will take 10x longer than cardio + weights

5. #5 Verdurous, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Getting rid of belly fat in the form of a beer belly is a form of slimming down. Cardio also encourages muscle growth, but will be more effective in targeting the belly area than lifting weights were. This is stuff I learned from my personal trainer when I had one for a short time, so sorry if it's not 100% accurate, but she was well qualified, so I assume this should be accurate.

I'm not arguing against cardio and weights though. Where'd you get that idea? I'm just saying cardio will be mire effect for slimming down. lmao

6. sorry if i came off pompous i figured you probably got your information from a "personal trainer" that was not my intention.

in my experience personal trainers have very limited basic knowledge at least the ones that i know and have met. lifting heavy weights especially the power-lifting 3....deadlift, squat, and benchpress all require a LOT of core strength that will use your entire body (please for your own safety do not use machines). the work required by your core to stabilize a heavy free-weight is a great workout, supplimented with cardio will get you looking good.

sherdog has a very good beginner section for which would be useful because it sounds like OP is a beginner. i would recommend lurking around there for a while and then come up with a routine that fits what your looking for.

7. Yeah, definitely limited, basic knowledge. lol

8. never said yours was just saying the ones iv met in my experience and btw those certs are easy as fuck to get she does not even have a B.S in a health related field. My Gf has not even finished her health and excersice science degree and she has ALL those....

Although NASM offers fitness trainer certification preparation materials, candidates are not required to purchase, enroll or participate in any NASM-educational offering.

you can literally sign up and take the test (although expensive) and if you pass your certified!! WOW !!!

Requirements for you to become a NESTA Personal Fitness Trainer

18 years of age or older
    High school diploma or GED

its a fucking online course!!!! they both are !! wow!!!

9. If you pass a certification without having the classes, then that means the information was already known, not that someone isn't qualified. lol She still had to take the test and wasn't just given these certifications. I'm pretty sure these are the standard PT certifications and they cover the knowledge needed to be an effective coach. lol Otherwise her employer wouldn't have hired her in this economy. :rolleyes: She was just my regular PT, though, I'm not sure if she was even one of the main ones or not considering I won the 6 weeks of personal training I had there.

Anyway, are you an authority on the subject and do you have any of these certifications? Have you ever taken the tests? If not, then who are you to say that these tests&certs are meaningless or how difficult they are? :rolleyes:

10. Turn it into muscle?? That some metamorphosis shit? You can't 'turn fat into muscle', you can just build more muscle.Muscle takes more energy to maintain than fat, which results in more calories burned.

Also, spot reduction doesn't exist. You can't get rid of belly fat without losing weight in general. Your genetics will decide where you store your fat, but if you want to lose fat then you have to lose it all over. HIIT is the best way to lose fat. For example, I do cardio every second day, and I do intervals of .2 mile at 7.5 mph then .1 mile at 3.5 mph. Do that for 20 minutes and you're gonna need a damn shower.

Also, you can do all the cardio in the world, but if you eat shit then you're gonna look like shit. Get processed foods out of your diet, stop drinking soda and beer, and eat 5-6 meals a day to keep your metabolism up.

11. It makes me sad that dieting or removing the cause in general, be it beer or whatever, isn't a given even in our modern society. Thanks for your info!!!

12. you can't turn fat into muscle.

But you're right lifting does burn a lot of calories and is better than cardio alone

13. I know man I think shitty foods are just accepted as a given these days. How many fast food chains are there compared to whole foods or local farmers markets? And not only is eating healthy more expensive than eating junk food, but you've gotta factor in preparation time as well as the fact that healthy foods generally don't have the addictive qualities of fast food.
    News Release

That being said, I think that once people start to love working out, they're more inclined to pay attention to their nutrition.

14. #14 Smoked All Dat, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2011
    Swimming works out your whole body without putting stress on joints such as when you run or jog. This is the most effective way to lose fat all-around. If you have an iPhone, download an AB-WORKOUT app(there are plenty) and they are on Android phones too. There are push-up workouts aswell, that monitor the number of pushups you can do and how long it will take to get 100 in a row.

Situps and crunches harden your abs, but won't make them any more visible unless the layer of fat is small.

Edit: Like bonghits said, nutrition is a key factor. I'm more of a bodybuilder and I love my chinese food. Im strong, but I'm still a little fat in the stomach and the arms/legs. I bench my max 1 time of 185-190 when I weigh 185-200 (I keep going up and down) and I've been working out for a year. If I spent the whole year on a strict diet with low carbs, high in protein and running, I'd be in perfect shape.

15. Thanks for the tips.

I've been eating shit for years, only recently started eating right.

16. You really need to monitor your diet. A common saying amongst bodybuilders (not me) is "Abs are made in the kitchen". If you're looking to burn fat and attempt to retain muscle, which isn't 100% perfect, you'll want to do cardio which won't burn much muscle. Walking is great for that but it won't make you much fitter.

Look up some information about how diet can help you stop losing muscle during high-intensity cardio, that'll help you get fit while retaining as much muscle as possible.

The one thing I found really helpful when I was doing my initial cut was to get rid of soft drinks (soda for you Americans). Those things are just sucrose-PACKED and are just fat tissue waiting to be stored.

Saturated fats are something to look out for, but in terms of fat loss, they're not a big issue. Sodium will cause you to retain water and saturated fats I believe clog your arteries which leads to all sorts of bad news. This is of course all in excess though.

Sugar is a quick-burst form of energy food and should be limited to 24g a day (I think that's average for a 80kg man). Sodium should be limited to 2400mg, saturated fats I believe is 18g, but check that last one.

Good luck to you man, take some before photos so you can monitor your progress. Too often do fat people think they're making no progress because they can't notice the gradual change in their bodies so they give up when in fact they're losing fat.

17. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk_usVg7Fp0]Ab Workout ( 6 pack abs ) [ ab exercises for ripped abs ] - YouTube[/ame]

I got a 6 pack nicely coming through after 4 weeks of this. ^

18. You're giving him bad advice ^

Ab workouts alone won't get you a 6 pack.

19. All of us know that a perfect body structure basic needs are daily exercise and a healthy life style. But these things are not so easy as we think. The main reason for stomach fat is our laziness or the consumption of junk food. If you wont stop your desire to eat the junk food you wont be able to get rid of the belly fat.

20. Yeah, i didn't mean that you could literally turn fat into muscle (its just a saying) i was just saying that a weightlifting regime will get you farther than cardio alone when seeking to lose weight....