Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tips for getting life started

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by 420stoned666, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Just got off probation. Im 18, and im tired as fuck of living with my uncle.
    It's cool, but I have had the constant urge to move out since I was like 16, still bugs me.
    I'm about to get a job, and I need to know if its realistic to be able to save and move out in the next 6 months or so?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. And sorry for the misleading title, didn't realize it was misleading til now. I meant,.I need tips

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #3 As Above So Below, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
    Dude start studying on your own. I recently got some algebra, pre calc, and physics books and it has definitely helped me. If you want to be successful study on your own. 

First of all, you DO NOT need to study for hours upon hours!!!

Make note cards of important info, and every 10-15 minutes just review. If you are watching TV, pause every 15 mins or so and look at the cards.

My memory works like this.. i Remember PICTURES. So if I see a flashcard, I don't memorize the words on the flash card, I memorize the ENTIRE look of the flashcard, along with what's on it. 

That's just me though.

I would say break up what you need to study in small pieces and review them frequently throughout the day, that's honestly the easy way.

4. You save money. The more money you save, the faster you'll be able to move out and sustain yourself.

If I could tell you one tip, it's don't spend all the money you're working to get. Save it. Once you have enough money, you start being able to do more things with that money than just buy grass. Like use it to make more money.

Life already started man. What the fuck are you waiting for?

5. Just save up money. Either save 80% and spend 20% or save 90% and spend 10%. That way, you still have spending money. I've realized when you save EVERYTHING, you lose motivation and feel like you're working for nothing. Also, before you move out. Think about it. Are you ready to live on your own? To put your whole paycheck towards bills? To be all alone?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. I don't know where you live, but some places are expensive as fuck to live in, such as CA and NY. Maybe find a friend to be a roommate and have them start saving up along with you too.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. Get a job, learn to drive, best advise their is, don't fuck up in ur job n try ur best even if u fail n depending on ur job u can have enough to move out I 6 months but u gotta keep it going otherwise if u lose that job bam u might be back to square 1 or worse on the curb

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. No matter what you're doing, whether it's going to school at university to get your undergrad, or getting into a trades program to learn a skill, you still need to always be saving your money. The lesson I learned is to never spend all of your money in one heap; give yourself some spending money - realistically 10-20% of your paycheque - and save the rest of what you earn until you have a substantial amount of money to go off of. 

If you haven't began saving your money in which you have enough for any possible situation you may find yourself in, your best bet is to stick around for a little while longer until you actually have enough to support yourself and live life (i.e. spend money). 

9. Invest in yourself. Sure making money seems like a necessity these days, but if you really are motivated to be able to support yourself then you're already on your way. Family tensions can be tough, but just try to keep your cool and bear through the tough times. I don't exactly know your socioeconomic status or geographical location so I can't give you any advice as to a career path to take or job to get for the time being. All that I can say is that you should believe in whatever you are passionate about and stay true to yourself. And I'm assuming as you are in GC right now, that you probably enjoy the good ol' green herb. So my last piece of advice would be this: don't ever let anyone sway your belief that there is any negative aspect of the most important plant in human history. Hope all goes well with you bro.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. You could always join the military if you're wanting to get started now.. But other than that you just have to get a regular job and save up. Or even better get a regular job just to have a steady flow of money then use that to make even more. You can just earn a little extra money or eventually become your own boss which would be a great way to start life if you ask me

11. OP, good shit on getting life on track. Gonna be honest though, everybody feels like that at those ages(16-18). Tired of rules and you want freedom and shit, so you're not alone.

Best advice I can give you is to make sure you have 6 months finances available before moving out. I don't mean 6 months rent either. Anything can happen and you don't wanna ruin your financial future because you're young and rushing things.

Get enough to survive and sustain yourself incase anything goes down. Rent, food, insurance, gas, phone, transportation.

Once you have that stacked up, you'll be financially stable and prepared for emergencies, unexpected unemployment, moving, whatever! Then you'll never have to worry about moving back in with your uncle :devious:

Best of luck dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Stay away from credit card debt. That was my biggest mistake when I was your age, if you can't afford it don't buy it! Work on your education even if you just do it one class at a time. Employers are much more likely to hire and promote someone who is actively working to better themselves. Find a hobby that you really enjoy and explore it! Getting good at something you really like to do makes you a more interesting, happy, and well rounded person. It helps keep you motivated and can actually open doors for you in life. You never know when a hobby can turn into a kick ass career.

13. #13 foxforcefive, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
    Like someone else said, try and live somewhere cheap like Florida as opposed to New Jersey or California. It seems frivolous, but after property taxes, sales taxes, income taxes, cost of property, it makes a huge difference on your funds. Cut out pointless expenditures. Boil it down to the essentials when you're getting started. You don't need a fucking headboard on your bed when you're starting out.

Try and take online courses at a college or get enrolled in a community college. Many community colleges offer job training programs to people in fields like nursing, medicine, math, science, teaching, etc.

And don't be a 24/7 stoner. Some people smoke weed to motivate them to work. If that's you, then smoke on. But if you're like me, who uses weed to become a couch potato at the end of a long day, keep it for the end of the day, not all day.

14. It is good that you are doing this, but I have to ask what do you plan to do with this? I'm not criticizing you at all please don't take this negatively. I just want to know what you plan on doing

15. When you move out on ur own there's rent bill cable bill Internet bill car insurance bill an gas for your car electric bill water bill. An there will be other bills learn to manage your bills so you pay on time. Your lookin at 1,200 to 1,500 a month in bills can you afford that

16. An also on top of those 1,200 to 1,500 dollars in bills a month you also prolly gonna need a few hundred a month for groceries

17. My tip would be to save as much money as possible while you still can. Dont be in such a hurry to move out, unless it's unbearable. You're only 18, save save save

18. I wish I never moved out it was nice the first year or two. But these last four years I' keep tellin my lil bro to stay at home long as he can free groceries mom makes dinner every night no bills sept his cell phone an car insurance. If those were my only bills I would seem rich to all my friends. And saving money Anit that easy. You'll be living off jacks an tostinos pizzas if you don't learn to cook to. An the same shit gets old an tryin to cook the same food as mom did never comes out tasteing the same. An when u are hungry don't just get fast food go to the grocerie store the cheap groceries store not Walmart. Don't buy exspensive name brand food when you can get the same off brand for cheaper an sometimes more. There is so much your gonna figure out when your on ur own I could go on forever bro

19. get a fulltime job with benefits at a warehouse

20. work at an airport, i heard the lost and found items are never frequently recovered by the owners. i knew someone who worked in one and had a his fair share of pleasant days. he stumbled upon ipods, cameras, cellphones.