Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tips for anxiety while high?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by asadalli6, Apr 25, 2020.

1. I have been smoking for roughly 3 years now and I enjoy getting high and relaxing and all that. But there are some highs my anxiety will go through the roof and it just ends up being a really terrifying experience. I feel like I’m gonna throw up, also like I’m almost dying (although I know that nobody ever died from marijuana) and my heart beats majorly quick. Usually lasting roughly 10-15 minutes and afterwards I feel perfectly normal literally like nothing ever happened. No sickness no trouble breathing it’s ridiculous. I do have GAD (General Anxiety Disorder) but it almost never got like that before that was the first time I ever actually experienced it like that. Every time I’m about to toke up I get a little anxious about getting those highs again.

Anybody has any experience and tips to help avoid anxiety attacks while high? Any ideas how to control it?

2. Maybe switch to an Indica dominant strain. Smoke less bud.
    Deep breathing exercises can help with an anxiety attack.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yoga

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. indica cbd 1:1 ratio something aroun 11%cbd 11%thc

i get anxiety from time to time, if i get to high it triggers it bad. ill experience what i call a brain flash, feeling of being unable to swallow, yawning, sudden feeling of hot flash, palpitations... i have mitral valve prolapse, has ties to causing anxiety. i know how you feel with a racing heart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Smoke less, less thc and higher cbd, go slow, realize weed makes your heart rate increase and that is normal and nothing to worry about and that worrying about it just makes it increase more and then you get even more worried. Relax and just remind yourself that you just smoked a bit more than you're comfortable with, listen to relaxing music, lay down, even beating your meat can help no joke. Remember it's just weed and it's impossible to overdose on and it won't hurt you. I realize it can be difficult but that's why preventing anxiety is the best 1st line of defense.

6. Yeah as mentioned mate. Stick to Indica and avoid the super strength stuff.
    Sativas are much more likely to ruin your day when it comes to anxiety.

7. Everytime i get too high, i say to myself wow im high as balls, and i remember im high as balls and just roll with it. Paranoid sure, but its just the edge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. #8 robot_zombie, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    HAHA, yeah, this is me. I kinda just think to myself "Welp, I am much higher than I wanted to be right now..."

I think you really have to embrace the idea that it passes. Just buttons getting pressed in your body. But then, years of psychedelics will make you that way. For me, getting high is akin to watching a little show in your head. Sometimes the show's great. Other times, it's awful. But at the end of it you can always get up and leave. You may not have full control in the moment, but it's never gone forever. At some point you're going to go back to feeling like you again... and THAT is a powerful point... that point when you are back in your skin, with the bad experiences still fresh to you. That's the point when you have some say over how it gets processed... the point when you have some say in how much fear gets packed into your memory. If you can't laugh and make light of it afterwards, it's only going to get worse next time.

If I find myself 'in the grips' so to speak, my only thought is of how I can't wait to get to that point where things start to make sense and I can unpack what is happening. I use that as a lighthouse. And then when I get there, I'm just so happy to be at a point where I can look back and think clearly about it. That's the place you want to be at. Until you get there, all you can do is wait... there is no understanding or figuring out what happens until you do - you'll only wear yourself thin and make it worse when you realize that you have no handle on it. Just try to remind yourself that the time to figure it out is coming and wait it out. You can put your faith in that!

I think sometimes people get so caught-up in trying to resolve it right away that they completely miss the real window to do so and wind up developing a sense of helplessness. It's never right in the moment, but a little bit after. Keep focusing on it when you truly are helpless and that's how you will feel about it! Thinking about it now and making a post when you're away from it is a good start. Keep doing that and this might just resolve itself naturally.

You can't be living in fear of the next dice roll, you know? I know it's scary as hell and madly uncomfortable, but it's a part of the whole deal. You can't dodge it. If you want to smoke weed, but things like this are making you shy away... well, that kind of sucks, doesn't it? Believe me, I know it does. But it's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. You go to smoke that bowl as memories of that one time start picking away at you, only ensuring that it will happen again. Because you never properly resolved that bad experience. You're just glad it's over and hope it never happens again. But it doesn't work that way, so you wind up trapped in that cycle. Recurring bad experiences are just lessons you haven't learned yet.

It's sort of a matter of habituating yourself into making it less of a big deal. In the moment, it's impossible. But afterwards, it is definitely possible to dismantle a little bit of that fear. You're already coming from a point of profound discomfort to something a little more normal and manageable. There's serenity to tap into there.

I used to get the anxiety bad... whole platter of physical symptoms. Tolerance is nothing. I was smoking all day every day. I think a major factor in being able to deal was me being an extremely social smoker... because I felt like having constant freakouts in the company of many friends and acquaintances would be embarrassing. I got to thinking I had to figure out how to ride it out. And over time, I did. Sometimes being in a good atmosphere with good people who are on the same level can make all of the difference. If you want to figure it out and there is some external impetus, you will figure it out.

And the thing is, the 'when' is not guaranteed. Everybody wants it to never happen, or go away immediately, but that's really just your brain torturing itself by wishing for things that can't be. That's why in the meantime you have to sort of make peace. At some point you may just have a breakthrough that changes everything, if you're open to everything else, good and bad. I've had a few like that over the years and there is no going back. I am not the same. I don't process anxiety like I used to. Panic attacks haven't been a part of my life in several years. But between where I started and that were a lot of bad times. If I let those cash me out, I never would've beaten it. I can personally say that I'm glad I stuck it out through those brutal experiences, because now, years later, I can appreciate the difference cannabis makes for me in my life - I am grateful for what it does for me, and what I have been able to do in order to get at that. The mind is a funny thing... so malleable. What was once anxiety-spawning poison is now the best medicine.

At the end of the day, there are patterns. The first thing I had to do was accept how I felt. If you can't see it for what it is and comfortable staring right at it, you can't hope figure it out. There is a progression that you can spot bit by bit, if you can reach that point of acceptance. Recurring thought patterns that drive the anxiety further forward. All it takes is a willingness to go forward with the experience anyway. You know it's coming, so why not plug-in when you feel like you have the energy? That was kind of my thinking on it at the time. Over time spent learning to more easily step outside of yourself, you learn all sorts of little things about yourself that help it make more sense.

It's really hard to get into specifics with stuff like this. It's a different battle for everyone. But I really do think the defining aspect is how much openness you have towards the whole experience. The anxiety is a part of it, too! Of course, everybody only wants the good, but in reality you've gotta take the bad, too. And a lot of times when a person manages that, it turns out to not be so bad. To me, those experiences are just opportunities to learn something about how your mind is put together... that idea has gotten me through some hellish rides.

It boils down to this whole concept of "This isn't the drug - this is me." I mean, these things do happen, but it's not the normal reaction. So what is it about you that makes it that way for you? I'm guessing you don't fully know yourself, given your hesitation to smoke. I'm not judging you for that, this is more of a suggestions for how to look at it. You can fear the drug all day, but all it is doing is pulling something out of you that's already there.

These days, it really doesn't happen often. I can hit the ceiling with sativa and it's all good. But when it does, it almost isn't even a thing, because I know it well, I know it's just a part of things, and I know that I sign up for it anyway. You need not fear what you already know! It sort becomes like... I dunno... a bad day at work or something lol

If you want 'feet on the ground' advice, stick to indica for now. And portion out your smokes. Just take your time getting where you're going. If you're in such a hurry to smoke that you smoke beyond too much and wind up in a panic, it's safe to say that you were already anxious. Sometimes that happens and you don't even know it. That's stuff that can be worked out by just taking your time with your sesh. It may start to manifest at a lower level of intoxication, where it is easier to get a grip on, before fully getting where you're going. All you have to do is smoke smaller amounts and wait... try to get that picture of where your head is at as you ease-in. It really does help. You get to a point where you can just kinda know what's gonna happen if you smoke x amount at any given point in a sesh.

9. To much THC and not enough CBD in your stone.
    As breeders push for ever stronger strains the ratio of CBD to THC keeps tilting to the THC side more and more. Combine that with the rush of many growers to get the product out means a shorter flowering time and an earlier harvest. Less amber means less CBD and the other lesser cannabinoids but to me the balancing part of the Trip as it were.
    The Synergy of the plant has been altered if you get my drift. I've learned to let my grow run for 10 weeks in flower and that brings up the amber strongly and my stone is exactly where I like it best.

Taking Dabs with my neighbor I'm finding it's to THC rich and I don't like the high that much. I take some of my own hash to toke and keep my CBD level higher and I enjoy the dab session much more.
    You can carry a bottle of CBD oil and use a touch of it when the jitters set in.

Grind some black pepper and inhale the smell. Don't actually snort the pepper. LOL some have. Akkkkk.
    It can take the edge off being to high.

I'm to high for this shit.
    I'm not high enough for this shit.

LMAO

BNW

10. Smoke less, you'll be surprised how good you will feel and how less anxious also! With today's high strength cannabis less is better!

11. I agree with this... CBD is critical in general for me to control my anxiety. The higher the THC/CBD ratio, the more likely anxiety will be an issue.