Tiny white dots... spider mites?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Sk8orDie, Feb 25, 2007.

1. I noticed a few tiny white dots on a few of my plants today (maybe 5-8 of 25) and was wondering if they were spider mites. I know white dots are a symptom of them, but I didn't see any on the back of the leaves and there are only 2-3 dots per plant. Should I get a magnify glass to get a better look? I've included pictures of the front and the back of the one with the most noticeable spots.. Should I be doing anything about them?

Thanks for any input,

Sk8

Attached Files:

2. If it isnt broke, dont fix it. A big miscumseption with pests are just because you see traces of them dosnt mean theres a problem, if they arnt HARMING your plant, then ignore them. Because a small problem you have if you use pesticides and crap you will cause more damage to your plants then the bug would themselfs.

Just keep an eye on it and if the problem escalades then try some NATURAL pesticides.

3. Thanks for the info Scott. I'll just keep an eye on em and as long as the they seem happy and healthy, I'll let them be. It's my first grow so I think I'm being a little too cautious... just worrying over things I don't need to.

4. No mate thats not spidermites .... the white stuff looked like some sort of residue ... like maybe a tiny bit of salt from the nutrients ....

5. that makes sense frog. before i got the humidity up i misted them 2/3 times a day with a high pH solution (high pH because I've been watering with pH adjusted water to bring up the soil pH). Anyway, maybe some of the salts in that got left on the leaf? Right now the problem isn't getting any worse (if anything it's getting a little better), so for now I'll just keep an eye on it.

Again, thanks for all your help. It's definitely appreciated.

6. "if" you had them you can see the bastards on the bottoms of the leaves. Use the strongest magnifier you can find and you will clearly see eggs, adults and little nymphs running around.

I don't know how I got rid of them. I tried the h2o2, bleach, hard core insecticide (systemic) and they came back, but haven't taken my flowering plants over for some kind reason. I was going to get some predator mites, but looks like I don't have to.

GL with your crop!