Tiny White Bugs, Brown Spots On Leaves. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by NotRickMoranis, Oct 8, 2012.

1. #1 NotRickMoranis, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
    Hi everyone! This is my first post and I'd like to start by thanking you all for everything I have learned from reading this forum, I wouldn't have gotten this far without it. Unfortunately, after my initial success, I've run into a big problem - tiny white bugs and brown spots on leaves. Any help will be MUCH appreciated.

Medium: Promix
    Environment: small indoor
    Strain: NL (Nirvana)
    Light: 180w LED, 10" from canopy
    Watering: alternating tap water, tap water w/ nutes as needed
    Nutes: Yellow Bottes Euro A and B
    Humidity: 45-55 %
    Temp: 72-89 f
    Pots: 2 gal
    Ventilation: small osc fan, 4" inline w/ carbon filter

I'm currently 3.5 weeks into veg and noticed the bugs about a week ago. they are small, white, nearly translucent and have two antennas.

I'm trying to create a video, but in the meantime they look identical to the bugs in this video: http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute...soil-these-soil-mites-harmful-[hd-video].html

Their population exploded... At first I saw < 1 per sq inch. A few days later there were about 5-10 per sq inch.

Brown spots in the leaves were noticed at the same time as the bugs (see attached pic). One plant has much more bugs than the others and also has much more brown spots.

Initially I thought they were springtails (from comments in the video link above), but I'm not sure about that because I've never seen them jump and I don't notice them come out more after a watering.

I tried SM-90 as both a foliar spray and in water. This seems to have had no effect on the bugs, although I did notice a nice growth spurt after feeding.

I then [reluctantly] tried a hot shot strip. My cabinet is near my living area, so I was very weary of this option. To minimize hazardous effects, I sealed off the cabinet and stopped all air flow. Put the strip in only for a day and then removed it and kept airflow off for another day. Aired out apartment. I then washed off my leaves and flushed the plants. After the few days the plants look extremely stressed, and I see the bugs again. I was only able to spot one or two, but this is still no good :(

As far as I'm aware - these are my options:

1. Use the Hot Shot strip again for more time. Problems: cabinet is near living areas. Plants look very stressed after last flush and I don't want to put them through that again.

2. Azamax, or similar product. Problems: expensive, mixed reviews.

3. Extremely drying out grow medium, maybe add diatomaceous earth or sand. Problems: add additional stress, may not be effective.

Any info on which of these options will be best, or any new suggestions will be very much appreciated! I have always wanted to do this project and have invested so much research, time and money. this is extremely discouraging :(

Attached Files:

2. hellloo ohho oo o o oo oo ooo

anyone?

3. They are probably some whiteflies.Like vostok said spray with some neem oil but make sure to dilute it.That should kill them and then prevent them from coming back.Neem oil will prevent other pest even if it isnt whiteflies.

4. Thanks for the responses :)

Guess I'll give the neem oil a go. I'm wondering if I should go with the much more expensive Azamax (1.2% Azdirachtin) or Safer's BioNeem (.09% Azdirachtin). Since I'll have to dilute them both anyway I could dilute the Safer one less and it would be the same right?